Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:35 AM   #1

Default New Hybridcams of 2010!

Here is my list of the latest and greatest hybridcams from the top manufacturers. If i have missed any, please let me know. This could be very useful for 1st time buyers! I've included some models that were still available in 2009 and some that aren't available yet...

I assume most people want to buy a new model from one of the top manufacturers. For myself, this has helped me narrow down the search:

AIPTEK Action-HD GVS

DXG 587V HD
DXG A80V HD

JVC Everio GZ-HM 300/320/350

KODAK Zi8

SANYO VPC-SH1
SANYO VPC-GH1
SANYO VPC-CG100

SONY Bloggie MHS-CM5/V
SONY HD Handycam HDR-CX110/L

As far as I can tell, these are all the best & newest models of hybridcams from all major manufacturers. I've excluded any that cost more than 500 USD. Please add any that I've missed.

Personally, I'm looking forward to breaking down the pros/cons of each model and how they compare to one another. I am particular excited about the Sanyo models. I am also excited about the higher end JVC models performance in low light.
kiyoshi_music is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:50 AM   #2

The Kodak Zi8 and the Aiptek Action HD GVS appear to be the *only* models with an external microphone input jack. Essential for me.

The Sanyos don't.
The DXGs don't.
The Sonys don't.
The JVCs don't.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:05 AM   #3

it's frustrating that sony and jvc don't include an ext mic input.
are you sure? if you're right, that's really a shame!

:/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Idaho View Post
The Kodak Zi8 and the Aiptek Action HD GVS appear to be the *only* models with an external microphone input jack. Essential for me.

The Sanyos don't.
The DXGs don't.
The Sonys don't.
The JVCs don't.
kiyoshi_music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:22 AM   #4

The other feature that I like about the Aiptek and Kodak models is the fact they can be controlled with a remote control.

Many other hybrids on the market do not offer remote control capability.

I've not played with the Aiptek Action HD GVS.

But I have two (2) Kodak Zi8s. As far as I'm concerned, they're the best thing on the low-cost hybrid market right now. Do they have weaknesses? Sure. All low-cost hybrids have weaknesses. One example would be the still photo capability of the Kodaks. I have a tough time with FOCUS. When I shoot a wide shot; the focus is fine. When I shoot people against some types of backgrounds, then the focus sometimes isn't quite right. The MACRO also gives me focus issues. So I still carry a small still photo camera to supplement the video I record with the Zi8s.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 1:41 AM   #5

The third-generation Creative Vado HD has an external stereo microphone input, but its video quality is not as good as the Zi8.

Some generic Chinese HD camcorders also include an external mic input, but just like the Aiptek, but mic input is only mono, and the video quality is definitely subpar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280460368275
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:54 PM   #6

SONY Bloggie MHS-PM5
babya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:28 AM   #7

I gave up on external microphone inputs some time ago, and use (several) separate recorders for audio. I use these tiny marvels:

http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2008...2g-review.html
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:19 AM   #8

advance users: benefit using optional sources, not all want to edit sound in. takes a clapper board and matching orginal and optional sound to be precise. and when using certain editing programs you may be still a hair off.

I did this with Red wing expidition lol loved that video one of my all time fav's

Aiptek AHD and Jazz elite hdv178 yes both vid cams, one a voice rcorder lol
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
takes a clapper board and matching orginal and optional sound to be precise
Nope, It takes Sony Vegas editing software. You can slide the second audio track (listening to both) until audio is totally in sync with the camera. It is really easy to do. And even if the two are running at different speeds, Vegas will stretch the second audio to exactly the same length as the first.

Yes, it is for advanced users, but once you have it figured out, it becomes easy and routine. I regularly have several audio tracks from lapel mic, PA sound system, and camera, all combined together
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 4:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevmar View Post
Nope, It takes Sony Vegas editing software. You can slide the second audio track (listening to both) until audio is totally in sync with the camera. It is really easy to do. And even if the two are running at different speeds, Vegas will stretch the second audio to exactly the same length as the first.

Yes, it is for advanced users, but once you have it figured out, it becomes easy and routine. I regularly have several audio tracks from lapel mic, PA sound system, and camera, all combined together
Yes eying is the other option LOL