Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:43 PM   #1

Default Anyone have experience with IR (Infrared Light)?

I've seen a video of someone modding their Jazz 178 to view infrared light (which lets them see in pitch dark):

http://vimeo.com/3693939

Anyone have any experience modding hybridcams to pickup on IR light?

When I play out at danceclubs, I think it'd be really cool to blast the dancefloor with IR light, record it with a hybridcam, import, then turn into B&W.

Could it be as easy as opening up any hybridcam and removing a piece of plastic filter which normally blocks this light from coming in?

I sure don't wanna buy a Sony with NightShot!
kiyoshi_music is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2010, 1:20 AM   #2

not sure if anyone is interested in IR modification of cheap cameras, but if you are looking for camcorders that are less than 400 USD that already have built-in IR mode, you have no other choice but to go with Sony's older models...

sony is the only manufacturer i know of that can record in IR light out of the box. only the high end models feature this option, and those are really pricey... but if you're in the hybridcam market (cheap), here are models that have the IR mode and are less than 400 USD used:

sony dcr-sr200
sony hdr-cx12
sony hdr-sr5

(it was a real pain to make this list!)
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:26 AM   #3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0s2mOThB7g
qv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 3:49 PM   #4

cool, thanks for the video

the Jazz DV178 would not be my choice of cams to mod, but i wonder if a similar mod can be done to an Aiptek or Xacti... i would definitely get an AHD GVS or newer sanyo if i could!

but i doubt the operation is that easy... i bet i couldn't figure it out myself

that said, im going for a sony nightshot if i can find it :/

it would be awesome to attach an IR hybridcam (modded of course) and tape it the bottom of a remote control airplane, then fly it in the dark...

(finding it would be a challenge, though ~)
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyoshi_music View Post
the Jazz DV178 would not be my choice of cams to mod, but i wonder if a similar mod can be done to an Aiptek or Xacti... i would definitely get an AHD GVS or newer sanyo if i could!
for that method, a fixed focus (no optical zoom) camera must be used
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:55 AM   #6

You can get a vid cam that takes pretty good pix for under
$15. Apparently there's a mod you can do to that camera where you just physically remove the IR filter. You can also place a different kind of IR filter
over the lens to allow you to see just the IR.

http://www.chucklohr.com/808/
parocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 5:04 PM   #7

i'm definitely going to look for a fixed no-zoom cam ad try to mod it

first, though, is sony nightshot (they seem to have the best tech for this)

.. but the jazz dv188 mod was really cool
Old Apr 10, 2010, 5:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by parocks View Post
You can get a vid cam that takes pretty good pix for under
$15. Apparently there's a mod you can do to that camera where you just physically remove the IR filter. You can also place a different kind of IR filter
over the lens to allow you to see just the IR.

http://www.chucklohr.com/808/
it was VERY easy
Old Apr 10, 2010, 7:07 PM   #9

The best IR sensitivity is on Sony camcorders with NightShot made before August 12th, 1998. After that date, Sony de-powered NightShot and locked it on maximum exposure, due to complaints that it was able to see through some kinds of clothing during the daytime. The newer NightShot is still very good at night, but during any brighter scenes the image will just wash out.

Here's my test of NightShot's ability to see through a black plastic bag, on an old analog Hi8 tape camcorder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q9WnPU8mig

As far as I know, there is no inexpensive handheld camcorder made today with a true NightShot-type capability -- not even by Sony. Many have a so-called "night mode", but all this does is slow down the shutter speed in order to boost the low light sensitivity.
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by qv98 View Post
it was VERY easy
Did you do that mod to that camera?

If you did, how were the results in low light?

I've bought 3 of them, and haven't felt the need to disassemble the camera yet. I really like the quality you get for less than $15. One of them is getting really high data rates, higher than Chuck Lohr is reporting - 16mbps

I really like how the video looks. I haven't bought a video camera in years. Have been using a Digital 8 for years. The audio is great on that - external mic, 16/48 pcm, like all minidv format. - uses super cheap tape. But the pic on these tiny things is better in some respects. The old interlaced minidv cameras had smoother footage, but lower res - so the new, cheap camera has a more detailed image. The new cheap camera has the waviness that these cameras sometimes have. It doesn't show up all the time, and I kind of like it as an effect. And, since it's doing 30 and not 60, it's choppy - not in a missing frames sense, but the effect if of watching a series of 30 pictures in a second. Those with experience with these newer cmos cameras probably know much more about this effect than I do. I kinda like the effect.
parocks is offline   Reply With Quote