Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 5, 2010, 7:04 AM   #21

Rolling shutter, alias "jello effect" is easily removed by deshaker under virtualdub, videos are perfect and stabilised. It doesn't take more time to remove rolling shutter effect or not when deshaking. Of course CCD is just fine because you won't have rolling shutter effect, but you still have to stabilise most of the time.
Seems good quality on Z70, but only 720P.

(Canon HV20 "jello effect" is really too bad. Aiptek AHD H12 doesn't look like this, I already filmed while driving/walking and it was really good, not this piece of crap !)

Last edited by Xtsea; May 5, 2010 at 7:07 AM.
Xtsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 8:05 AM   #22

it's hard to find worse than the Canon HV20

here's another from the Z70 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym8EI...layer_embedded
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 9:24 AM   #23

Avisynth might be a good option for people who like to work with scripting, but many users find this mode of editing to be very awkward.

Cineform .avi files are easy.

Sure, Cineform .avi files are bigger than -- say -- compressed camcorder files.

But Cineform .avi files are much *smaller* than uncompressed or Lagarith files.

Plus, even weak computers can use them because Cineform files scrub like good old fashioned DV .avi files.

In fact, I see Cineform .avi files as the replacement for DV .avi files in the high definition video world.

Most Sony, Adobe, Ulead, Corel, Magix video editors had their original designs based on editing the standard DV .avi file.

Cineform files can be either standard or high definition and they act very much like DV .avi files on the timeline.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 9:25 AM   #24

One other advantage of Cineform files is that there are both .AVI and .MOV versions of Cineform files so you can share them between Macs and PCs.
Old May 5, 2010, 9:38 AM   #25

Missing the point.

The point of Cineform .avi files is that they are an *edit* file format.

In other words, editing does not degrade their visual quality.

If you edit compressed formats, you *will* degrade their quality.

In addition, many types of compressed formats such as MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 are not designed to be edited from an audio standpoint. In other words, the loss of audio/video synchronization is very much a problem related to the difficulty of editing compressed file formats.

With Cineform .avi files, loss of video/audio synchronization is far less likely to occur because each frame is complete. The Cineform format is an I-Frame for mat and not a LONG GOP format like MPEG-4 or MPEG-2.

So when you convert an MPEG-4 or MPEG-2 video to Cineform .avi file format, you get a file that can be properly *edited.*

That's the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
45sec clip t aken two minutes on the file you mentioned. and well what can one do with it? Can you load to Vimeo, can you load to Youtube, can you burn to a dvd? How will it open on the pc, qwill it open in win media player, will it open as quicktime in quicktime player.
Old May 5, 2010, 10:21 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Idaho View Post
Missing the point.

The point of Cineform .avi files is that they are an *edit* file format.

In other words, editing does not degrade their visual quality.

If you edit compressed formats, you *will* degrade their quality.

In addition, many types of compressed formats such as MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 are not designed to be edited from an audio standpoint. In other words, the loss of audio/video synchronization is very much a problem related to the difficulty of editing compressed file formats.

With Cineform .avi files, loss of video/audio synchronization is far less likely to occur because each frame is complete. The Cineform format is an I-Frame for mat and not a LONG GOP format like MPEG-4 or MPEG-2.

So when you convert an MPEG-4 or MPEG-2 video to Cineform .avi file format, you get a file that can be properly *edited.*

That's the point.
thanks P.I. for youtube and vimeo it does just fine..
Old May 5, 2010, 10:40 AM   #27

Here's a thread that serves as an example of how many problems people are encountering with the Avisynth method:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archi...c-t334524.html
Old May 5, 2010, 11:17 AM   #28

I used a lower mhz cam and the newer pc was even harder. so guessing a lot has to do with not just one issue but many.
Old May 5, 2010, 11:19 AM   #29

Most of their problems would be avoided by installing Klite codec pack and using mp4cam2avi to convert mov files to avi with PCM audio. Then scripts for avisynth are easy to make, one line : DirectShowSource("Videoname.avi")... Magic.

Breaking news : Just tried adobe CS5 demo, and my .mov files 1080P30 are opened natively and fast to edit on my dual core laptop ! No use of avisynth anymore.

Last edited by Xtsea; May 5, 2010 at 12:54 PM.
Xtsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 1:13 PM   #30

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but your .MOV files -- if they're coming directly from a hybrid camcorder -- are LONG GOP file types. Now here's the problem:

LONG GOP direct-edited files often exhibit little, visual "blips" at cut points when rendered out and played on a TV screen. What happens in most non-linear video editing software, is that the engineers program the software to cap-off each edit to the nearest I-Frame of a LONG GOP file, which includes I, B and P frames.

So you often get this "glitch" at the cut points on direct-edited LONG GOP files.

It was true, in my experience, on Ulead.
It was true, in my experience, on Magix.
It was true, in my experience, on every software I tried.

Now... maybe -- just maybe -- the newer software packages are "fixed" but even if they are, then the user should have the fastest computer available.

Direct editing of LONG GOP file types is often not wise, especially with older software and weaker computers. Hence, the Cineform alternative.

Here's an article about it:

http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/News...-HDV-37958.htm