Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 1, 2010, 12:07 PM   #1

Default recommend?

Can someone recommend a video camera that is 1080P, MPEG-4, SDHC card compatible and has a MIC INPUT? would also like one good in low light and good on color and with optical image stabilizer if possible... Is there one under $500??

Thanks...
dahauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2010, 6:19 PM   #2

1. Aiptek Action HD GVS:

http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...&Store_Code=AS

2. Aiptek AHD-H12:

http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...&Store_Code=AS

3. Kodak Zi8:

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsu...ctID.156585800
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 2:57 AM   #3

Remember the higher the spec eg 1080p 720p the better or faster
the pc/video card you need to view/edit the video properly without all
the hangups or jumping frames or very long converson times.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 5:33 AM   #4

I use Aiptek AHD H12 and find it really good. Image is sharp, colours are good.
Sometimes slow to focus and image stabilisation is not fast enough. Also takes time to start when you open LCD : more than 5 seconds, you can miss some fast actions unwaited scenes. For still shots I wouldn't recommend it, even it can help when nothing else is available. Compared to Kodak Z1012 IS, pictures seems more often slightly out of focus and ther's more noise on images, + colours / white balance not as good as Kodak. I use Vitualdub and deshaker with rolling shutter correction for better stab, it gives nearly professional aspect to videos. On my Full-HD TV results are very good outdoors with sunlight in 1080P30 HQ, and quite good in low light conditions. I tried more expensive HD camcorders which won't do better.

(My quadcore system @3.5Ghz encodes at 12 images / second with deshaker and XVID @5500Kbits/s high quality. I lost some sharpness with this compression setting but videos are good though, and size is around half original. I recommand mp4cam2avi for converting mov to avi with PCM audio before virtualdub, or for avisynth. No need of a fast graphic card for encoding, but good CPU.)
Xtsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 11:58 AM   #5

A GPU will convert up to 20 times faster than a CPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgrp8...embedded#at=96

You can download a free demo here if you have an NVidia card http://www.badaboomit.com/

Last edited by musket; May 3, 2010 at 12:15 PM.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 8:45 PM   #6

There's a great .avi codec available that makes editing of 720p and 1080p much easier for all software on Windows (or even Macs).

It's called Cineform NeoScene.

The Cineform Web site lists it for $129, which is too expensive for me...

...however...

I noticed that the videoguys are selling it for $99.95 and if you apply the coupon codes -- just do a search for videoguys coupon codes -- you can take another $10 off the price. I just bought it for $89.95.

I already have the codec on one computer and now I'm going to install the codec on a second computer at work.

But it makes editing quite easy.

Compressed files from camcorders were never designed for editing.

So with this codec, you can convert .M2TS or .MTS or HD Quicktime .MOV files to .avi quite quickly... even with a low-powered PC.

Then you can put the .avi files into the timeline of most Windows software such as Sony, Ulead, Magix. One big exception is Pinnacle, which is *not* compatible.

But Cineform NeoScene codec makes editing HD files very easy.
Old May 3, 2010, 8:46 PM   #7

I forgot to mention that Cineform is visually lossless, too.
Old May 4, 2010, 6:44 AM   #8

Yes, videocards from Ati and Nvidia can perform "hardware" compression. Still I'm not sure it's really 20* faster, because compression quality has to be the same to compare. Same datarate should be same quality output, and from tests I have seen until now, it's not the case. The video you linked was at CES 2009, they show what they want to show and the way it appears to be good, without all details about configuration and video settings... In real world you'll only have 20* acceleration in some cases (i.e. ipod resolution), not sure about [email protected] MPEG4 @ 5500Kbits will be encoded at 300fps with the same quality that my Xvid CPU codec setting does. Furthermore I don't know for Nvidia, but with ATI I can only compress from a standalone application (the free software they provide), not from virtualdub, wich means that you can't use filters like deshake, sharpen, noise reduction, color curves or contrast...

About Cineform NeoScene, Avisynth does the same for free, just have to make a little script for opening the video and let's go. Of course have to learn a bit how to use the stuff... I tried opening my .mov files (MPEG4 AVC) directly from CS4, it can read it but it's slow as hell. Then I just converted my video to avi and PCM wave audio with MP4Cam2AVI (took 20 secondes for 15 minutes of video) and opened it through avisynth in CS4 : could play it at normal speed and apply effects in "realtime". Well to be honnest, let's say 20 images/second for preview if some filters are not rendered.

About MPEG4, I think it's not a problem of format made to edit or not (even of course it was not specifically designed on this purpose), it's more a problem of drivers and software optimisation for this format. And don't forget that MPEG2 is not better, it also has key frames and needs to recreate other. Today computers are fast enough to handle between key frames and intraframes while editing in "real time".

Last edited by Xtsea; May 4, 2010 at 6:58 AM.
Old May 4, 2010, 10:14 AM   #9

Avisynth does not do the same thing that the Cineform codec does.

Look, Cineform makes editing of HD files a snap even on low-powered computers with weak processors.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:51 AM   #10

I have a fast desktop computer, with [email protected], 4GB RAM.
But even on my laptop "low powered weak processor" dual core @ 2.4Ghz I can use Avisynth without any problem. And who will really be patient (crazy) enough to edit a Full HD video on a weaker configuration ?! Applying filters to a video using sub dual core, sub 2Ghz processor would take too much time anyway. So I think this Cineform driver might be good, but it won't give more than Avisynth which is free...

PS : Except the fact you can reencode with Cineform from what I read, but not interesting in all cases : can apply all filters in one pass before recording to MPEG4 again, or in CS4 can keep project and original files to do further modifications without going again on rendered video. If you need to encode and render your video before re-editing the rendered file (which is usually a bad workflow...), can use a free losseless codec like Dirac video codec can do. $89 is really too expensive for a codec whose functionnalities can be found in freewares (and i have seen some poeple comments complaining about Cineform beeing laggy, but maybe really too slow machines).

Last edited by Xtsea; May 4, 2010 at 12:30 PM.