Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 20, 2010, 1:22 AM   #1

Default Dxg 587v

After reading through the thread on the DXG-595V, I decided to take the plunge on the 587V available through Walmart.com. Apparently it has manual focus and an extra goody or two that the 595V lacked. It's a 2010 model from DXG, so I'm hoping that any issues that were had with the 595V may have been resolved. At this time, reviews on this hybrid are almost non-existent, however. The closest thing is a couple of comments on WalMart.com... the reviews aren't exactly glowing.

At the time of this writing, 2 out of 4 people like the camera overall, 3 out of 4 like the images it takes though 1 had a lot of issues that sound very much like computer issues or unrealistic expectations (1080p is choppy, can't be used as a webcam, manual sucks, mic sucks, feature list is inaccurate, etc... basically it sounds like a lot of the normal gripes that a lot of people here have accepted with regard to the 595V). And the fourth person basically had a terrible experience.

So.. any other users out there? Anybody heard anything about this one? Or read any reviews?

I figured that at $129.00, it looks like a steal.

Linky goodness: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=13437291

I'm intending to use it with an external mic for basic podcasts. I'll be using external sound (have a samson VR-88, Oktava MK-319, Shure SM-58, and a few other mics) and synching it with as-yet-to-be-determined software.
Unfortunately, my life is such that I don't think I'll be able to become a regular contributor to this forum, but I'll sure try to post up some sample videos when I get my 587V, in gratitude for the guidance I've gotten around here while researching the 595V.

Nice place you have here. :-)

Background: I learned to shoot on a Canon AE-1 and had a darkroom in my house for a number of years. Presently I use a Nikon D40 for my real pictures and a cheap $20 (on closeout 5 years ago) HP 4.1MP camera that I'd throw in my motorcycle tankbag, or take to the beach, or bring anywhere else that I'd be afraid to take a real camera. I am not a professional- have no urge to make a living with this stuff. I wouldn't even call myself an enthusiast of cameras, really, because cameras are just tools. So I guess I'm just a really casually enthusiastic camera user... the type who has no delusions of "going pro", doesn't look for the latest-and-greatest, but is a little too much of a perfectionist to willingly tolerate the obvious and painful limitations of point-and-shoots under normal conditions. Anyway, I look forward to getting some video for ya'll...

Edit to add: Wow, how creepy! I posted this an hour ago and I'm already on the first page of google results when I search for "DXG 587V". I guess there's really no discussion about this camera out there whatsoever!

Last edited by Grimace; May 20, 2010 at 2:18 AM.
Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2010, 8:46 AM   #2

These cameras can make a very good image when mounted on a tripod and used in bright lighting (i.e. outdoors). But any kind of motion and indoor lighting quickly reveal their limitations -- you will get shakey video and dark, grainy footag. Also the auto-focus is quite slow and unreliable, which is the reason why they make such a big deal about offering manual focus.

But nonetheless, at $129 I'd say that's a reasonable price -- NOT the $300 that Best Buy is charging for a spiffed-up version of this same camera!
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 2:57 PM   #3

DXG a great cam in ways, other cams that resembled the same Model or models in the past, were Han-shing. Digilife and a few other companies.

Always offered a lower price that people can afford. rather offering a higher price and never lowering.

Aiptek offers a simular one today called the A-HD12 for 210, and never see itdrop from the companies website in prcing, outside will be 10-20 less.

The DXG previous model basing on your purchase. and hoping the newer one has absolute perfection.

I wait longer, ask more, and get most samples, before I purchase.

Today a company owns a website, can start a community, and share new models to individuals, that a company does not have time for.

A very simple thing, so simple it may lead to complications. so rather a company wanting to have a real persons intake they just hope that people who purchse do exactly that. and only a percentage can be found online.

Well its a great place to continue the fun. and share for others. and enjoy the Moment.
lets hope you'll have plenty with your new device

Enjoy
Old May 20, 2010, 11:17 PM   #4

I suggest to find something with 60fps. Even with my Aiptek Action HD I'm really impressed with quality of movie on my 42" LCD.
What about this one:
http://www.aiptek.com/HDCamcorders/
Action-HD HDMI only $129 !!!
To record movies with 30fps you need tripod I think.
Anndybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 2:46 AM   #5

vwestlife>> My primary intended application will be indoors for a podcast, However, since I'm facing 3 windows, with about 400W of light in the room (all behind or above the camera), it should be an excellent room for shooting.

fishycomics>> I wanted to thank you personally for all the great contributions you've made to this forum. I've read a lot from you and learned quite a bit.

It is kind of annoying that DXG doesn't release any cameras to the media for review. In this day and age, it's ridiculous that something's sitting on the shelf with no reviews one way or another to back it up.

Anndybo>> I watched as much test footage of the Aipteks as I could get my hands on... Honestly, I felt the DXG's looked better over all. Much of the properly-lit and stable 1080p footage looked absolutely incredible on my 26" monitor.

I agree that 60fps is a huge advantage for handheld video. I can't always keep a 1/30sec shutter speed steady on my SLR (without VR). However, the primary application for this camera will be tripod-mounted for a goof project I'm working on and I think it will work fine for that... it's sort of a cooking show/video podcast. I'll actually be using multiple cheap cameras, sacrificing high quality, for the opportunity to mix multiple angles/shots to show different things close up.

As I was typing this up, I received word from Walmart that my camera shipped. Should have it next week, I'd imagine.
Old May 21, 2010, 5:34 AM   #6

I look more tot the Kodak ZI8 as it has the best of indoor video, over the Aipteks. Aipteks will suffer of indoor lighting.

DXG I owned an older model, and cannot comment on. i hope that 400 watts is enough as that may not even be enough.

As always trial it ou. take your sample and you be fine.

I again would have gone teh Kodak Zi8, but I as well like to see if i am in view and a swival screen is by far needed.
Old May 25, 2010, 2:53 PM   #7

Well it came in the mail today.

I was impressed with the number of accessories it came with:

Camera
Carrying Case
Battery
Battery Charger and cord
HDMI cable
RCA cable
USB cable

When I went to charge the battery though, I was surprised to find that the battery fits both the right and wrong way into the charger. That's weird. I also noticed that the power plug for the charger doesn't really fit well either way. That's also weird. It seems to work though, so I'm not going to worry about it for now.

It's got a "stereo mic" which a lot of people with cheap cameras seem to make a big deal about. It's really probably just one microphone that records on the left and right channel, which is fine. True stereo sound is overrated on cameras anyway. I mean, if multi-million dollar movies just record the actors with one mono-mic per actor, I really don't think my $130 camera needs stereo mics. But I guess it's a selling point for some people. The mic is located on the back of the screen, making it kinda awkward to look at yourself and record while using the internal mic.

I doubt the battery will be charged before I have to go to work and when I get home it will be dark. But I'll get some test footage up soon.

Last edited by Grimace; May 25, 2010 at 3:42 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:38 PM   #8

Default Hd12 v Zi8 v HD2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
I look more tot the Kodak ZI8 as it has the best of indoor video, over the Aipteks. Aipteks will suffer of indoor lighting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post

DXG I owned an older model, and cannot comment on. i hope that 400 watts is enough as that may not even be enough.

As always trial it ou. take your sample and you be fine.

I again would have gone teh Kodak Zi8, but I as well like to see if i am in view and a swival screen is by far needed.
Fishy, I've seen several of your videos on youtube, and am amazed at how much you could squeeze out of the Aiptek GVS. The one with the microphone test convinced me that for one all around camera, the Zi8 wouldn't fit the bill because it lacks zooming.

I had thought to go for the Aiptek GVS because of your videos, and because they're on sale at Amazon. Then I started seeing some stuff from the new Aiptek HD 12 and thought that the new model must surely be better.

I'm looking for an allround performer for a trip overseas next month. When we get back it will do webvideos and webcam work. The Zi8 doesn't do webcam, I believe, another reason I was leaning to the Aipteks. I want to do as little post production work as possible, beyond simple cuts.

It sounds as though you've gone off the Aipteks, however, despite those great looking videos on youtube. The thing about youtube is that someone like me never knows how much postproduction has gone into those videos. It's tough to find raw unedited output, and then there's always the difference in operator skills.

So may I ask you this question: would I be better to off to spend a few more dollars to get a Sany Xacti HD2000? They are cheap where I live, down to $350. The thinking is that the raw camera output would be acceptable to most viewers.

What do you think?

Phillip
npkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 5:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by npkz View Post

Fishy,So may I ask you this question: would I be better to off to spend a few more dollars to get a Sany Xacti HD2000? They are cheap where I live, down to $350. The thinking is that the raw camera output would be acceptable to most viewers.

What do you think?

Phillip
Thank you.

And I hope Aiptek heard this, and Kodak, but cough, cough,....

Whenever I get a new cam, I tend to stick to that one, till I run dry.

1 http://vimeo.com/8678573 2 http://vimeo.com/8678573

I went on vaca, luckly I had the kodak, and Aiptek, I shot video, I found ALL my shots with Extremely poor sound. ( See Vid 1)

I always make the best with what I have, and shown my best work at times, never a pro, thank you.

2. http://vimeo.com/8678573 This is the latest, and I thought I would have perfection, butrealized, a sale to sell defectives,was why they lowered it's prices, my opinion. you'll havetoday pause recording, exactly what you want one clip, many video's joined, with no editing outside the device. I preferre to edit, looks more aprofessional, and streamline to others. rathr seeing, what happened hecut. like most movies you never see blends.

3. Ed of Vid 2 He owns the cam @ vimeo, Please view and he be super happy to answer some questions.

I will say this, andI hope you understand why I lean this and that way @ times.

You may be better of witha trusted cam if its the sanyo. I do not own, but I would not want any shots ruined with sound.

The Aiptek neverfailed me at the start, nevertruely went on a long, no I did 3 months, and the North Bridge video proves perfection to me two cams, now somehow do not operatee the way they should, one is orginal, the other lesser grade in parts of thesame, and they somehow. like said ruined in sound hmmmm
Old Jun 25, 2010, 1:40 PM   #10

Thanks for your thoughts Fishy. Sorry to hear about your gear failures. Heck it even happens with name brands - you just never know when it will come.
npkz is offline   Reply With Quote