Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 15, 2010, 5:13 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevmar View Post
The key is that you will have a video recorder in your pocket whenever you see something worth recording. It may not be a good video recorder, but it will be good enough for the majority of YouTube viewers.

These new phones (Android as well) will make a big impact on the way HD is viewed by the public...
1st of all I see your point but people already have 1080 full hd video recorders in their pocket in the form of a hybrid og digital cameras. Or even 720p resolution video recording cell phones. HD video recording eats the cellphone battery in an instant, so you just end up having two cell phones on you, one for calling and texting the other for HD video recording. I see that scenario already as a co-worker of mine has an HTC Desire for calling and texting and for taking pics and shooting 720p video, a Sony Ericsson Vivaz.

2nd of all I'm sorry about my iPhone rant. I'm just sick and tired of all the hype around this cell phone. The media coverage is huge and manipulating. I'm sure it's gonna be a great cell phone but it's definately not going to revolutionize the camcorder industry. What the iPhone 4, SE Vivaz, Sam. Galaxy S, Sam. Wave etc. are going to revolutionize is the way, where and when we record video. It has already begun a long time ago.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 5:34 AM   #22

I could not agree more, if they want to improve a cellphone
IMPROVE BATTERY LIFE

yesterday I needed to update a trac key it needs a land line

and spent 20 miles searching for one LMAO!

today its wireless tomorrow its gonna be back to old ways LOL never happ.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 5:35 PM   #23

I still don't understand the fascination of having "all-in-one" devices. A cellphone, that is also a photo camera.. that is also a video camera.. that is also a video editor.. are you kidding me?

It reminds me of software programs that convert, edit, publish, burn to DVD.. yes, they might actually be able to do all those things, but at the cost of limiting the users as to how much they can customize the results, and the results are of a very inferior quality than when using single-purpose dedicated programs for each step.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by subc View Post
the results are of a very inferior quality than when using single-purpose dedicated programs for each step.
I recently took some footage in China. Normally I would use Sony Vegas to edit it. I only had a small Atom-based Netbook with me, so I used an AVIsynth script to (minimally) process and then concatenate the videos, prior to uploading them to Vimeo. They were taken in AVCHD with my Panny ZS3 (notoriously difficult to process):

http://www.vimeo.com/12292094

The result was passable. Nowhere near what I can do with Vegas, but, IMO, quite presentable. It is amazing what one can do with a limited computing capability, and an underpowered CPU.

I already have a phone in my pocket (its a BlackBerry, not an iPhone) and I have grabbed it and pressed the video button once or twice - for a 320x180 video capture. With HD, even a poor HD, I can see myself using it a lot more frequently. Ultimately one must ask why carry a real camera in one's pocket at all? I just want photographs to augment my memories, not to make artsy posters on my walls, or videos capable of winning a film-festival...

Last edited by Trevmar; Jun 15, 2010 at 10:07 PM. Reason: typo
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 6:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
I could not agree more, if they want to improve a cellphone
IMPROVE BATTERY LIFE.
Exactly. Batterylife is so crucial in today's touch screen cell phones. All the wireless technologies eats the batterylife so quick, I mean if you often surf the net, check email and run several 3G/bluetooth/wifi capable apps in background, your cell is only gonna last you around 4-6 hours. If you want to record HD video on top of that you could probably only have half of that time frame.

Last edited by adalfa; Jun 16, 2010 at 6:41 AM.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 8:23 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by adalfa View Post
.. your cell is only gonna last you around 4-6 hours. If you want to record HD video on top of that you could probably only have half of that time frame.
LOLOL - and which Aiptek camera would you like to nominate that will record HD video for 2-3 hours on one battery??

Thing is, due to the demands of touch-screens and fast CPUs the batteries in today's phones they are getting a lot more battery capacity than those available in the specialized cameras. The exception is Canon's ever-expanding range of batteries for its camcorders. I routinely use the huge ones which run for 5 hours continuously... with a 32Gig card...
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote