Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:33 AM   #1

Default The best ever hybrid now

Yes, Camileo SX900 rocks now! Very big improvements, almost total manual control, this camcorder takes video which looks almost like a mastered Hollywood movie production. Only the design of the model is really ugly, especially in front, also no way to attach any adapter.
But it is really the best of all the hybrids mentioned in this forum ever!!!
The only negative is 30fps instead of 24 or 25fps, but it's usual for every hybrid camcorder...
producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:03 PM   #2

It lacks an external microphone input.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:27 AM   #3

Default Sanyos

Now that Sanyos are selling at $125 to 204 with optical zoom, 10 to 14 mp stills and more hd 740 to 1080 with all the manual settings you could want why would anyone buy these other hybrids now?
geralda590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:20 AM   #4

Because low-end Sanyo's all *stink* in one very important regard:

THEY LACK AN EXTERNAL MICROPHONE INPUT!

- Many Aiptek models *do* have external microphone inputs.
- Kodak's Zi8 *does* include an external microphone input.
- Creative's newest HD model also includes an external microphone input.

Sanyo's high-end models have the external microphone input, and they're pretty good values.

But Sanyo's low-end models still don't.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 3:53 PM   #5

Default external mike

I'm sorry. Sanyo's Stereo built in mike has always been sufficient for me, and all the settings on Sanyos are almost overkill for my needs but are nice in a "low end cameracorder". I have had 6 Sanyos and all still work after 9 years. I sold 2 of them to freinds who still use them. My HD2 has an external mike jack but I never used it. The CG102 is so cool because It is less than 220 delivered and has all the settings still there. I carry it in my pant or shirt pocket without a case as with the previous models. What impresses me is how durable they are, as well as small and take decent--- even good pictures and video. Each new generation improves on the last with lower prices. I'm glad for all these small cameracorders. They make it so easy to carry I never took so many good pictures and videos with my 35 mm camera or the standard camcorders I have owned, and the sound is stereo and 44mhz. Now I wonder who will ever want to see or care about these pictures or videos, and the shear volume possible because of their ease of use makes me realize that I can't ever make complete use of their capabilities.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 7:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by geralda590 View Post
The CG102 is so cool because It is less than 220 delivered and has all the settings still there. I carry it in my pant or shirt pocket without a case as with the previous models.
I started with a C6 Sanyo, many years ago, but moved away from Sanyo a couple of years ago, when the HD1000 was just too big for my pockets, and the CG700 had terrible low light performance. Does your CG102 come anywhere close to the CG6 sensitivity when shooting video indoors (low light?). It seems to have a very small lens, but I agree, it is pocketable.

Last edited by Trevmar; Jun 6, 2010 at 8:08 AM.
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 1:55 AM   #7

Default older sanyos

yes yes yes---as good at low light as older Sanyos with better resolution and the same if not better pocketability.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:56 PM   #8

Geralda,
My CG102 arrived today. It is not quite as high sensitivity as my C6, but it is pretty close. About as much image noise as my Panasonic ZS3, a little more due to the CMOS sensor. But that sensor doesn't flare purple lines like the CCD of the ZS3. I love the dual-range optical lens. What a great idea

I also like that the HS mode works with 1080p, as well as 720p. This is an advantage over the ZS3. Smaller monitor than ZS3, though, colors not as good...

I still have to do a lot of testing, then will use it in the field for a while, and report back my observations.

Early conclusions: This is a Sanyo camera good enough to get back the old Xacti diehards (like me). New features are 1080p, 1080i, dual lens, small size. Better manual controls, but otherwise a very familiar menu structure for previous Xacti owners... Thanks for the tip about it...

One gripe - the EV setting should at least persist through standby, and preferably during power-off, but it doesn't... same old, same old...
Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:01 AM   #9

More gripes about the CG102:
1. the zoom control is unusable - too fast and no ability to change its speed

2. low light performance, even at HS (15fps) rates is very poor. Lots of noise, possibly even more than with my DOD HD200. Sanyo noise reduction not nearly as good as Ambarella IMO.

I am getting close to sending it back. Sanyo came so close with this one. I love the lens quality, and the concept of two different magnifications. Why couldn't they pull it off?
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:24 AM   #10

It's funny that all of you turn this thread into Sanyo topics...
But still SX900 is the best choice for everyone who focuses on hybrid camcorders. No mic input, so what?!? This model records STEREO audio with much noticable higher quality than ever before. Also, I can't believe that anyone buying a hybrid expects making a pro cinematography with it. Ok, add an audio recorder and attach it, and voila...
Anyway, I am an owner of the famous Canon HV30.
producer is offline   Reply With Quote