Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 22, 2010, 2:13 PM   #1

Default Need camcorder. Baby on the way

I hope this is the right category to post this under, but as the title says, I have never owned a camcorder but need to get one within the next few weeks to start getting footage of our baby after it is born. I don't really know what features are necessary or not, but I do think I should get an HD one as we have an HD tv. Other than that, this doesn't have to be top of the line or anything. Just something that will have good image quality. As far as price, I would like to keep this under $500, preferably less unless something is really worth it.
JM667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2010, 1:35 AM   #2

I own a Sanyo VPC-FH1 and it's awesome, HD 1080P 60 FPS, also takes more than decent still pics. On sale @ Amazon.com for $316, $286 if you buy used. I bought mine used and have had it more than it a year no problems. There might be better ones for double the cost but probably not much better. There are other newer HD Sanyo's out there for cheaper. Have not used myself but they seem to have gotten good reviews like this one http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-VPC-GH2-...443749&sr=1-14

My Sanyo looks awesome on HD big screen, you're right, if you have an HDTV, your camcorder should also be HD to maximize the abilities. Nowadays camcorders are so cheap and ez to use, especially if you have kids, no reason not to own one. I'm like you, before camcorders were so complicated and a hassle to use and way too pricey, never bothered owning one. I now own 3 that I use for different occasions, my Sanyo being my high end. I also own a Kodak playsport which is waterproof and middle class camcorder, and my low end, an Aiptek HD pen cam I keep around handy for any spontaneous shots. All are HD and do the job.

Last edited by HDfan23; Jun 25, 2010 at 1:41 AM.
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:31 AM   #3

Now on sale for $279, even better!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 1:07 AM   #4

I can also recommend the Samsung HMX-H200. Awesome image quality due to real optical stabilization and good low-light performance; sound is great as far as I can tell - just watch the demo clips on youtube from the HMX-H200 to verify that you don't hear a whistling sound from the camera as some user report (I don't hear it). The camera should be around 300 $ in the meantime, quite cheap for a real cam.

Don't buy these pseudo-cheap hybrid cameras as you might get dissappointed by the clips. And wonderful moments might be lost due to that. (I needed to learn that the hard way: Aiptek AHD 300, Practika DVC 5.2, Aiptek AHD H5 Extreme and now the Samsung.)

Cheers,
Koepi

Last edited by Koepi; Jun 30, 2010 at 1:10 AM.
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 4:00 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to try to go this weekend to try some out. I know what you mean about the cheap ones. I will stay away from those just for that reason.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 4:07 PM   #6

Of the cheap ones, Aiptek is the best, I've owned 3 of them, and they all do a good job for the price $100 - $150. My last one was the GVS which I thought was great (gave to my dad who is very happy with it). So depends on what you need and are looking for. For me, I like having both a cheap one and higher end one around, one I just keep handy at all times for any spontaneous captures and the other for can't miss type events. None of the cheap ones really do well in low light situations, but in good lighting all the HD camcorders seem to do very well, minor differences unless you really go out of your way to compare.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 6:02 PM   #7

I know what you mean about having one with you. I was thinking of getting a new good compact camera just to have with me all the time and I can use that for short vid clips if needed.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 6:59 PM   #8

Ihave been sitting on the side line here, and will just add my 2 cents in.

Congrad's to you and the Misses, you'll have many , many hours of entertaining.

You'll want a better cam that will capture the moment, and that I have to leave it up for you to decide.

I will say yes get a budget cam, or ask a member or friend to purchase as a gift for you and your family a budget cam. because there will be times where you'll want to always have a cam, with you, and what if the lil one kicks, wiggles, and you placed that top end beside the milk bottle. DROP!.

I say this as they are a pc low budget cam great for ................

and that is where they come in handy.

GVS is a great cam, yet the sound Is not best, the HDMI 1080p is the hd1080P ver.

Kodak zi8 or playsport another great cam, price drop at bestbuy 130 for the ZI8

its really not to hard to decide, but yes priceless moments without a cam not fun....