Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:06 PM   #1

Default the JAZZ brand is now disolved and no longer supported

Hi Guys,

As you know the Jazz website no longer exists and is now Digitac.us I sent them an email asking them for support regarding my HDV178 and the issues I was having with it not charging the battery since I can no longer find the charger after letting my parents use the camera on their holiday last summer. The camera doesn't want to charge using any other USB charger either I have a handful of different devices that use a mini-USB wall charger everything from Motorola Bluetooth headset, APC USB backup battery. HTC Dream charger etc..

The HDV178 however still can be used as a webcam when connected to a PC via USB. Though when connected to a charger the battery doesnt charge though if left overnight the whole unit does get warm probably due to the backlights on the LCD being on even though the screen is black.

here is the exact email I received from them

"Sorry to say, but we do process only 1y Jazz brand manufacturer warranty (Jazz Product has been closed on the end of last year); your camera is out of warranty and we have no ability to fix it or replace it. Thank you."

Whats crazy is that since the cam stopped working there was no way of contacting JAZZ at all they had no website no phone number or anything. until the digitac.us website came out and even that website is half complete just like the old Jazz website. Will it ever complete I somehow doubt it as it looks like digitac.us is what we call in the consumer electronics world as a fly-by night company.

Zensokustudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:23 PM   #2

Unfortunately this is a known design 'feature' of the HDV178 in that you can only use it's own charger and not a conventional USB charger. I have one of these camcorders myself. Quite why they designed it in such a way that it can't use a conventional USB charger is beyond me.

I wonder if they did the age old trick of rearranging the pinout (though I don't know if that might interfere with it's use as a USB port as well) so it would only work with their charger or it simply will only work with one that has a higher output? Of course the only problem with my theory is that it would only make sense if they sold their own replacement chargers separately. To my knowledge, they didn't do this as these are cheap commodity items and they'd rather you just buy a whole new device.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 1:54 AM   #3

Yeah it really is weird. the highest output USB charger I have is the charger that came with my APC back up battery. It comes with a thicker than normal USB cable to charge the 10whr battery. which is more than enough to charge a 1500mah PSP battery 1.5 times fully charged.

I received a follow up email after asking for some documentation on the camera and they offered to send me a fully charged battery for free to see if the unit still functions with a fresh battery. I really hope it does as I want to use it as a dashboard camera to film stuff as I'm driving so secure any sort of video evidence of any bad drivers and car accidents. I was thinking about making a website to show bad drivers that I see while driving.

Last edited by Zensokustudios; Jul 8, 2010 at 1:56 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 4:24 AM   #4

Jazz Elite HDV-178 is a wesome lil cam with excellent features, company taken over while back was Emerson, located in and around Parsipanny Nj. style has changed a few times/ If o an orginal owner, the only alternitive you'll have to get a charger will be to keep an eye on Ebay auctions. and you'll wind up better off spending a few dollars on overstock.com an pick up any aftermarket charger.

I understand that you want to ultilize this in the car, and you need to modify the charger by splitting the ac and adding a dc line to keeo constant on. when power is lost battery will take over, and then shut down.

So it is a matter of figuring out the pin config, which there is not to hard, normally its the outer side ones.. It could be possable, but you may blow or short out if incorrectly tampering locating with power.....

I would design dummy battery, and use a 3.6 or 3.7 vdc cellphone charger and adapt to the cam.

if this is all to hard. Look for the Dod F500 HD cam it will be the best car recorder aroud that a few members enjoy. never being hte best in all, but best situated.

I use this cam from time to time, and rather spending a ton of dough, it was my best invetment for Hd720P for 100.00. 800 processor while others were 2.0 processors..........

5.0vdc wil be the output, higher then 6.0 will blow the cam.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 5:58 AM   #5

I was actually looking at buying an NP-60 battery and charger combo on ebay which seems like the best way since the camera itself seems very sensitive build wise. Yeah I do like the cam the quality is great for daylight. I figure that the battery would last long enough with having to worry about needing an AC adapter for it. Since the drive times are usually only 10-40mins tops.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:04 AM   #6

The quality of those cameras was really bad. The video sucked. I had one.
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:08 AM   #7

for the price is is by far a great bargain. and I am quite not sure what you mean by the vid sucked.

http://vimeo.com/2132199

but they say to each their own, and you are entitled to your opinion, I seen a very imoressive clip here. it sure sux
Old Jul 11, 2010, 1:29 PM   #8

https://www.digitac.us/High_Definition.html

The JAZZ brand lives on.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 2:29 PM   #9

the site is new, and not yet available to purchase lol. great find though.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 3:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
for the price is is by far a great bargain. and I am quite not sure what you mean by the vid sucked.

http://vimeo.com/2132199

but they say to each their own, and you are entitled to your opinion, I seen a very imoressive clip here. it sure sux
Well compared the Kodak Zi8...The Zi8 is awesome!
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote