Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:27 AM   #1

Default Few questions on pocketcams...

Just curious on a few things. I've read that Kodak's Zi8 and the Flip Ultra's are usually considered the best, Zi8 usually considered the best pocketcam.

Anyways, I'm looking to buy one but have a few questions because I really don't know if i should buy one of those or another one. I have a hard time finding ones available in person since i live in a very small town and live pretty far from the closest place that sells them, so i have to order online.

Main question, what is the best one just to do personal videos of myself talking as well as mounting to a vehicle's window. Reason I'm asking may seem quite weird, I'm going to Kabul, Afghanistan and want to mount it to our vehicle's dash/window. No, I'm not military, so there isnt an opsec issue. I was just curious if there was one that works better when used in a mount?
peefyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2010, 2:44 PM   #2

For the Kodak, it has a EIS and best used in hd720p 60 fps, does the Fip offer 60fps and electronic image stabilization?
I like to only answe on the things I won.

there are many videos out there of mine youneed to look for a driving one.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 7:09 AM   #3

The Zi8's EIS definitely caught my attention. Are you aware of any better options out there that would suit my needs? My technical knowledge isn't exactly the best.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:04 AM   #4

What's your budget?
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 3:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfan23 View Post
What's your budget?
I probably want to try to keep it under $250
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:13 AM   #6

In that case, maybe you can take a look at this one: http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-VPC-CG20...9900521&sr=8-2

I have a higher end, the VPC-FH1 that I am very happy with so I trust the Sanyo brand. I also have the Kodak Playsport which is pretty similar to the ZI8, advantage of this one is that it's waterproof. Only thing about the Kodaks is that they only have digital zoom which is useless, when you zoom in everything is blurry and distorted, basically can only film whats in front of you or play on a big screen for anything in the background. Also there is no flash, so if you take pictures in low lit areas, basically you're stuck in the dark (no pun intended). This Sanyo one on Amazon has optical zoom and flash and can play record 1080i 60 fps so it's good for capturing sports and anything with fast movement. Seems to have gotten good reviews as well.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 3:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfan23 View Post
In that case, maybe you can take a look at this one: http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-VPC-CG20...9900521&sr=8-2

I have a higher end, the VPC-FH1 that I am very happy with so I trust the Sanyo brand. I also have the Kodak Playsport which is pretty similar to the ZI8, advantage of this one is that it's waterproof. Only thing about the Kodaks is that they only have digital zoom which is useless, when you zoom in everything is blurry and distorted, basically can only film whats in front of you or play on a big screen for anything in the background. Also there is no flash, so if you take pictures in low lit areas, basically you're stuck in the dark (no pun intended). This Sanyo one on Amazon has optical zoom and flash and can play record 1080i 60 fps so it's good for capturing sports and anything with fast movement. Seems to have gotten good reviews as well.
There will definitely be times this will be used in low light. The 1080p/i isn't a huge issue deal. I'll try to see if I can play around with one of these next time I travel into the city.

Also, would that camera work with some type of dash/window mount? It looks like its made to be held by hand only.

Oh and to add, image stabilization is very important. The roads and terrain over there isn't exactly smooth highways lol

Last edited by peefyloo; Jul 24, 2010 at 7:32 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:32 PM   #8

I guess it depends on what kind of mount you'll use, the screw in kind then pretty much all camcorders these days have it. One thing about the Kodak I have, very poor in low light, the Sanyo is pretty decent. Both have stabilization although my Kodak still has some jerkiness, I'm not sure if this is present with the ZI8.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:07 AM   #9

The Kodak zi8/zx3 the ZI8 is the better cam over the zx3, but for some it depends on their prefrences they want the cam for. It is not fair to say taht it is poor in low light, it is fair to say it does better then otehr cams placed in a situation of extreme levels of lighting.

If you asked me what is the better cam in low light of the models I owned. example
Aiptek GVS, A-HD, kodak zx3, zi8, Jazz, etc etc.

I will say this the ZI8 is no. 1 the Aiptek gvs is by far to the bottom of the list with others.

Proof is in the video.

As for camera mountto etc, etc. the tripod fixs to anything you can modd. no tripod screw no mount, like a cellphone they do not have trpod mount screws they have attacment aftermarket holders.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by peefyloo View Post
There will definitely be times this will be used in low light
You will have problems then. I sent back a Sanyo CG102 because its compression engine was failing when the scene got noisy, and giving horizontal lines of noise, rather than dots. The new Sanyo models, with the exception of HD1010/2000 series, do not handle low light as well as the best point-and-shoot cameras I don't have a Kodak Zi8, but they seem to do quite well in low light, just as my Kodak V1073 and Z1012 did pretty well in low light. But I have discarded those in favor of a Panasonic ZS3 which gives better video overall, even if not as good in low light. Take a look at these Vimeo from my old Kodaks. Those really are just candles lighting the table

http://www.vimeo.com/1805366

http://www.vimeo.com/1028849

And this one from the ZS3 was taken around dusk... You can see the lights in the outdoor stalls...

http://www.vimeo.com/12292094
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote