Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:46 AM   #1

Default Hybrid Camcorders Zoom Speed

Is it possible to change the zoom speed of any hybrid camcorder? I know it's fixed constant speed, but I want it to be slower. So, anyone with electronics education and knowledge, do you think that the zoom speed can be decreased somehow when opening the camcorder inside?
Any ideas?
producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2010, 4:59 AM   #2

It iis a firmware, as electronic switch is the operation. Kodak increased/decreased. increment/ seamless the Kodak Zi8 of fr 1.03-fw 1.05/06.

Aiptek increased the A-Hd from 2x- to 4x. etc, etc.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:45 PM   #3

It's a good question -- I've used cameras that were too fast and some that were too slow but I've never thought to look for an option to control speed.

As fishy says, however, it's all in FW so it's probably pretty tough to modify as a consumer unless they give you explicit controls.
loghound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 2:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by loghound View Post
It's a good question -- I've used cameras that were too fast and some that were too slow but I've never thought to look for an option to control speed.

As fishy says, however, it's all in FW so it's probably pretty tough to modify as a consumer unless they give you explicit controls.
Hmmm, why do I think that maybe something like a rheostat attached can do this job pretty good?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 2:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by producer View Post
Hmmm, why do I think that maybe something like a rheostat attached can do this job pretty good?
Because you probably don't understand that camera movements are usually operated by a digitally-controlled stepper motor.
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 4:48 AM   #6

Electronic switch. the Jazz has a toggle, the Aiptek has a mouse, the Kodak has a button
one is seliphane the other is one connector, etc. it see power of one step, you can control the zoom, if you manually or modify a aftermarket lens, and that be optial
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevmar View Post
Because you probably don't understand that camera movements are usually operated by a digitally-controlled stepper motor.
But the zoom speed is constant anyway, so?!? The other way is to get a firmware and to modify the settings and parameters of the zoom speed.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 5:24 PM   #8

firmware will only modify a speed to make it at 1 mph, 2mph etc etc. it cann make it variable slow then fast then slow like a true camcorder
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
firmware will only modify a speed to make it at 1 mph, 2mph etc etc. it cann make it variable slow then fast then slow like a true camcorder
Of course, that's what I mean - just to set the zoom speed at lower level, because it's much better a constant speed with slow movement than fast which is so jumpy and hard to fix smoothly...
Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:50 AM   #10

then go pro rather low budget sorry