Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 29, 2010, 3:38 AM   #1

Default Possible alternative to Zi8, with Mic in - Brica DV-HG1

This is a very hard camera to get enough information about, but...

It's definitely in a similar weight range, but not as pocketable as the Kodak Zi8.

However, It possibly has Hdmi live output, and it has a Microphone (unknown if stereo) input. The sensor size is the same as the Zi8, 1/2.5".
It does 1080p @ 30fps, but interestingly has no 720p @ 60fps

There is a optical 5x Zoom.

There's an ebay auction which is how I originally found about it (I'm not selling it!)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FULL-HD-1080p...-/160440270963

The "specs" page is a image, lol:
http://www.jtauction.net/dvhg1/specs.html

Which has the model number listed as: "Brica DV-HG1"

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of it before? From the mic input and hdmi output, I'd like it... especially for how cheap it is.
SuperRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:23 AM   #2

if by "possible alternative" you mean the only similarities are mic input, then yes it is (ignoring size, features, software , dependability & price)
qv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:17 PM   #3

As Kodak does not resemble a camcorders actual cosmetics, other companies will ahve that, as you found one. AIptek has quite a few that resembles and not.

I preferre a major cam, and will keep to that , over a low budgt today.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 3:18 PM   #4

That's just another name for the generic Chinese "HD" camcorders with very poor performance, also sold as DXG, Digilife, Speed, etc. etc. Some of these do have an external mic input, but it is MONO. And otherwide you can expect very bad low light sensitivity, slow and erratic autofocus, annoying rolling shutter "Jellovision" effect, limited depth of field, and short battery life.

When situated on a tripod in bright outdoor lighting, these cameras can provide surprisingly good results, but otherwise, you are much better off getting a Kodak Zi8 or Zi10 if you need the external mic input.
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:44 PM   #5

DigiLife are a Taiwanese company, my DDV 1080HD is still going strong.
260DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:19 AM   #6

The chinese/taiwanese low-end pocket/hybrid camera oem manufacturer used to be the kings of this lower-end market. But since the major brands(Sony, JVC, Panasonic, Kodak etc.) has joined this market the chinese/taiwanese have lost bigtime(in the western world). Some years back if you wanted cheap pocketable camera, you'd buy a chinese/taiwanese, and if you wanted pocketable camera with better quality, you'd choose Sanyo.

IMO to survive the chinese/taiwanese oem manufacturers have to either lower their prices or make quality products to rival major brands camera lineup. And not by adding more useless functions like a pico projector or 70's like 3D effect into the camera. Aiptek who was a major player, hasn't come out with an upgrade model of their Z700/GVS hybrid camera. Or even a Flip style camera with compareable specs to Kodak's lineup. In recent years they started focusing more on larger hybrid cameras, but the trend is going the other way. SMALLER, waterproof and touchsreen are the trends right now(did I miss one?).

Last edited by adalfa; Sep 20, 2010 at 4:24 AM.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:56 PM   #7

You can't lump China and Taiwan together, they are separate countries the latter having been making quality consumer products under their own and other brand names for many years, decades before China. It would be interesting to know where Sony, JVC, Panasonic, Kodak etc get their cameras made, I bet its not Japan or the US.
260DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 4:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260DET View Post
You can't lump China and Taiwan together, they are separate countries the latter having been making quality consumer products under their own and other brand names for many years, decades before China. It would be interesting to know where Sony, JVC, Panasonic, Kodak etc get their cameras made, I bet its not Japan or the US.
I'm sorry to offend on the China and Taiwan issue. I'm not in any way suggesting that Taiwan is a province of PRC. One of the reasons I "lumped" them together was because many taiwanese companies have their factories in mainland China. Hong Kong companies owns many factories in the mainland. Foxxcon who is the world's largest electronic component manufacturer, have their huge factory in mainland China, but the company is taiwanese.

Both chinese and taiwanese electronic manufacturers lacks innovations, creativity and design, in my opinion. They either copy the design from major brands or copy eachother senseless. I bet you will say it's the chinese who copies the taiwanese:-)

My guess is, that major brands such as Sony, JVC, Kodak etc. have most of their consumer products(or even just the components) made in mainland China(factories owned by either chinese, taiwanese companies or the major brand.) with strict quality control.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 5:05 AM   #9

When I ordered mine I thought I heard Phillipenes, but that may have been support as I asked back then. the camera was made where there was a big devistation, and wondering if that was in the USA, I like to say malaysia, but iam guessingmre then knowing more.

Overseas China, Japan, Tawain, tehy are the Best ofthe places, vs, USA, hate to say it but they are the best.