Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:24 PM   #1

Default Wednesday September 1 APPLE iPod "TOUCH" With HD?

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/08/31/...d-speculation/

Quote:
- iPod Touch - Backside camera, mic, new shape, front facing camera, possible 3G and even a Retina display.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2010, 1:14 PM   #2

and so it is...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/01/i...gets-revamped/

No 3g as to be expected really otherwise it would compete too closely with their iPhone.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 1:42 PM   #3

It's amazing. I'm going to get one.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 3:39 PM   #4

I'm going to get none.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 5:29 PM   #5

Private Idaho,

Yes a nice device though it would've been better if it could do proper still images as well. The still image capability is only 960x720. I assume at that size it is just doing a frame grab so why not 1280x720? Seems an odd size that doesn't even match the display or iFrame format. Perhaps it's a mistake in their specs.

I see Apple are playing typical marketing tricks. I think many were expecting a 16GB base model. 8GB for a device capable of HD video? Would be bad enough if was just a camcorder like the flip video, but seeing as you would most likely want to store music and apps on it, that could end up being a bit of a squeeze.

The fact that it's 8GB and $229 makes it so close to the 32GB version in price that it strikes me as being designed mainly as a 'space filler' in their lineup so no one could accuse Apple of not having a base model. The capacity restriction is no doubt to push those on the fence who would otherwise buy a 16GB towards the 32GB.

16GB and $199 would've been a nice size and price but Apple know that and would prefer to push us towards the 32GB. Oh well, to be expected I guess...
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 3:15 PM   #6

One theory that I can offer about that weird 960 x 720 photo format is that APPLE *might* have designed a 1.33 pixel aspect ratio photo recording scheme in the new iPod "TOUCH."

As explained by Adobe on this After Effects page...

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Afte...290f-7ffd.html

...the pixel aspect ratio of 1.33 causes 960 x 720 images to fill a 16:9 aspect ratio screen quite nicely much in the same way that 1440 x 1080 resolution video from early AVCHD and older HDV camcorders did.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 3:30 PM   #7

OK... here's a thread on the APPLE discussions forum suggesting that the specifications for the still photos might be incorrectly listed by APPLE's marketing:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/th...93947&tstart=0

Some individuals are insisting that they've been told by APPLE telephone representatives that the forward-facing camera is a 5 mega-pixel camera just like the one in the iPhone 4.

I suppose we'll find out the truth soon enough.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:42 AM   #8

I am interested too. People have made camera appreciations for Iphone before, maybe somebody could make better recording and control software/options for this.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote