Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 3, 2010, 3:30 PM   #1

Default Filming airplanes, 1000 dollar budget. Suggestions?

Hi Guys,

Not sure if im even supposed to ask here, but here goes.

I have a Toshiba Camileo X100 and it is a complete disappointment.
Auto focus and white balance are both hunting like crazy whenever I point it at the sky,
so obviously the budget cams aren't gonna cut it for me in this field of video recording.

Hence my question, what can I get for 1000 bucks that can get a decent shot at some airborne things?
I'm guessing I need atleast some manual focusing, about 10x optical zoom, and some stabilization features couldn't hurt.
I came across the new Panasonic TM700, which seems to handle it all pretty well,
except it seems to have issues with some fan noise it apparently has.
According to some people sometimes the camera records its own fan..
So not sure if I should stick my 1000 bucks in that potential beartrap.

1000usd is a lot of money, and considering the camileo was already a big failure,
I was hoping on some sound advice from you guys.

So who has an idea on what I could get?
Sokonomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2010, 3:43 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to Steve's, we are mainly a still camera site however we do have some clever people with video so I've moved your post into that section to see what they come up with.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 3:50 PM   #3

Ah, thank you, I wasn't aware.
Someone who reviews budget camcorders on youtube recommended this forum.

I'm veering towards the TM700 more and more,
especially after seeing some raw footage on vimeo.
I wish I could get my hands on actual footage straight from the cams memory though,
these flash based hosting sites never do full HD any justice.

Also, I just read the recording of its own fan only happens when its nearly dead silent.
What happens is the camera thinks its microphone isn't loud enough,
so it jacks up the gain and then actually starts picking up its own noises. Sencitive!
When you record something in that kind of silence its easy enough to just cut the audiotrack completely in editing I suppose.

Still.. some say there are sony cams who get really close, but for about 300 bucks cheaper!
So, heres me, hanging on a fence some more.
Sokonomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 3:52 PM   #4
Super Moderator

If you are a member at vimeo then sometimes the user will include the original for download.... only problem is you don't know if it's straight from the camera or edited first.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 3:55 PM   #5

Have a look at Sanyo's VPC-HD2000ABK:

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-VPC-HD20.../dp/B002Q4VBT2

$800.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 5:35 PM   #6

You can't go wrong with camcorders from major brands such as Sony, Canon, JVC and Panasonic. Now you're probably thinking "isn't Toshiba a major brand?". It is but their low-cost Camileo series is made by chinese/taiwanese OEM camera makers. Toshiba just print their name on it.

Now if you want to shoot in SD, you can get up to 70x optical zoom from Panasonic. I think Sony is around 60x zoom. These camcorders have stabilization but can't handle full tele. Now if you want to shoot in HD the TM700 is absolutely awesome. Amongst the best in it's class. Though as you have read, alot of ppl have annoyances with the built in fan. Also consider Sony HDR CX550 or XR550, Canon Legria HF S20/S21. These are higher end consumer HD camcorders and have heavy price tags. I don't know the US price level on these camcorders, tht's where u have to do some research. Another thing is if you want more optical zoom and HD recording, you should go for lower end HD camcorders as they have smaller sensors. For example JVC's GZ-HM330 shoots full HD video and has 30x optical zoom.

I hope this will give you some idea of what to get as it depends on what you need and want to pay.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote