Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:33 PM   #1

Default [Help] Buy a new HD pocket camcorder!?

Edit: I have decided to buy the Sanyo Xacti VPC-GH1.

Last edited by Hurnubrunko; Sep 29, 2010 at 4:02 PM.
Hurnubrunko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:49 PM   #2

I'm a Sanyo VPC-FH1 owner (small but not quite a pocket camcorder), but looks like you're more geared towards the pocket type camcorders. Based on my Sanyo experience, I'd go Sanyo and they have several options for under $300. (Check amazon.com and search for Sanyo hd camcorder). My Sanyo is great during the day, decent low light performance, and great stills. I also have a Kodak Playsport as well but on 1080P 30 fps setting, very shakey and has the "jello" effect (720P 60 fps is very good). Good in sufficient lighting, not very good in low light, especially 1080P. Only reason I have it is because it's waterproof, but as an HD camcorder alone, I'd say there are better choices.

Last edited by HDfan23; Sep 28, 2010 at 4:55 PM.
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfan23 View Post
I'm a Sanyo VPC-FH1 owner (small but not quite a pocket camcorder), but looks like you're more geared towards the pocket type camcorders. Based on my Sanyo experience, I'd go Sanyo and they have several options for under $300. (Check amazon.com and search for Sanyo hd camcorder). My Sanyo is great during the day, decent low light performance, and great stills. I also have a Kodak Playsport as well but on 1080P 30 fps setting, very shakey and has the "jello" effect (720P 60 fps is very good). Good in sufficient lighting, not very good in low light, especially 1080P. Only reason I have it is because it's waterproof, but as an HD camcorder alone, I'd say there are better choices.
Due to warranty issues and manufacturer restrictions Amazon US will not ship electronic goods to Sweden, except for the Kindle. I looked at Amazon UK (they do ship to Sweden because of the EU) but the price is just ridiculous. Over €550 ($870). Same with Amazon DE, over €400 ($550).

The "jello" effect on your Kodak Playsport sounds strange because I have not seen this on any of the videos on YouTube/Vimeo etc.

Sanyo do have great video quality but the noise when you zoom (can be heard on the recorded footage) is just...
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurnubrunko View Post
Due to warranty issues and manufacturer restrictions Amazon US will not ship electronic goods to Sweden, except for the Kindle. I looked at Amazon UK (they do ship to Sweden because of the EU) but the price is just ridiculous. Over 550 ($870). Same with Amazon DE, over 400 ($550).

The "jello" effect on your Kodak Playsport sounds strange because I have not seen this on any of the videos on YouTube/Vimeo etc.

Sanyo do have great video quality but the noise when you zoom (can be heard on the recorded footage) is just...
Really, I have no zoom noise on my Sanyo at all, perhaps just your particular model. Regarding the jello effect, you'll find a few samples on youtube that show the same thing. Here's a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Xseu1hPjc

Notice how it kind of shakes inside the video, this is what happens on 1080p 30 fps mode, the 720P 60 fps doesn't seem to have the issue.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:56 AM   #5

jello effect or rollingshutter is best noticed on shots that are tken of moving objects to the side, and not straight forward., if theri s shaking like in this video or not, it may be because EIS is OFF and zoom. If you have not a perfect stance or hold shaky hands that is exactly what you'll get.

but Do not get me wrong , I may be wright or wrong, not a Pro.

and this is not a Pro cam either. so descretion. is needed.

as for gear noise states in a manual if it has it. it may be minimal or maximum, of particular cams. as people think its issues while its not. remember not saying this cam certain cams, never STATED on boxs, no one would buy.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 3:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurnubrunko View Post
Edit: I have decided to buy the Sanyo Xacti VPC-GH1.

Yeah, I saw that at the local store here, tiny, makes mine look huge even though most people tell me mines is small. You shouldn't disappointed, Sanyo makes quality stuff for cheaper than the competition w/o losing out on much.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:18 PM   #7

I ordered it yesterday so I will have it early next week. Will post some footage and a short review next weekend.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 12:43 PM   #8

Default Xacti FH1 or GH1?

Hi,
I am in the same case, as I would like to buy a Sanyo full HD camcorder.
I am hesitating between the Sanyo Xacti VPC-FH1(250) or the VP-GH1(190) which is newer. I am wondering if th 14Mpix MOS on the GH1 would give better video than the 8Mpix of the FH1? The other advantages of the FH1 are the 1080/60p (but not usable for editing?), the longer battrey life and the 16x optical zoom (even if the wide angle is only 41.7mm instead of 40mm on the GH1. The GH1 can use SDXC cards, and have 14MPix sensor, but only 12x zoom and 1hour battery life... If the videos and still pictures are really better on the GH1, I would chose it even if it shots only 1080/60i, but nowhere I could find a review comparing the two camcorders. It seems that Sanyo is not going to build a successor to the FH1, so I have to buy it now as there are still some available if I choose it.
So, Hurnubrunko, can you tell me your feeling about your videos done with the GH1? Are satisfied with your choice? As GH1 is cheaper, is it because of a lack of quality?
Thank you for answering,

Ben.
benlao is offline   Reply With Quote