Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:00 PM   #1

Default VPC-CG100 , VPC-CG20 or Playsport?

I live in sweden and will buy a camera in a local store.

I checked this 3 out and they look good. Both VPC are same price and playsport is cheaper.

I will use it 100% to record my kids in and outside.

What one to pick ? (Or should i try something else). The price is not really a problem.
segambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2010, 3:35 PM   #2

Nice to see more Swedes on the forum. Här har du en.

If you don't care about the price go with Panasonics 700-series. Superb camcorder.

About Sanyo: CG20 and CG100 are identical except for zoom and megapixel count. Between these two go with CG100.

I have decided to buy GH1, identical to CG100 except for the design and the way you hold it, i.e., "traditional grip".

Just look at this sample footage. Looks amazing.

Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG20 / Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG100
- "Pistol grip"
- Zoom @ 5x (CG20) and double range zoom @ 12x (CG100)
- Wide angle lens @ 38mm
- Photo @ 10MP (CG20) and photo @ 14MP (CG100)
- Video @ 1920x1080i @ 60 fps @ 16 Mbit/s
- Video @ 1920x1080p @ 30 fps @ 12 Mbit/s
- Video @ 1280x720p @ 60 fps @ 12 Mbit/s
- Video @ 1280x720p @ 30 fps @ 9 Mbit/s

Sanyo Xacti VPC-GH1
- "Traditionell grip"
- Double range zoom @ 12x
- Wide angle lens @ 38mm
- Photo @ 14MP
- Video @ 1920x1080i @ 60 fps @ 16 Mbit/s
- Video @ 1920x1080p @ 30 fps @ 12 Mbit/s
- Video @ 1280x720p @ 60 fps @ 12 Mbit/s
- Video @ 1280x720p @ 30 fps @ 9 Mbit/s

Last edited by Hurnubrunko; Sep 29, 2010 at 9:53 PM.
Hurnubrunko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 3:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by segambit View Post
I live in sweden and will buy a camera in a local store.

I checked this 3 out and they look good. Both VPC are same price and playsport is cheaper.

I will use it 100% to record my kids in and outside.

What one to pick ? (Or should i try something else). The price is not really a problem.
I'd go for the Sanyo's. I have a Playsport, only advantage is that it is waterproof. For some reason the 1080P 30 fps mode is very shakey, the 720P 60fps is very good. Also Playsport has no flash, indoor pics aren't very good and useless digital zoom. It's ok, but if it was not waterproof, there are better choices. I also have a Sanyo VPC-FH1 which I am very happy with, although compared to current pocket camcorders, it might be considered bulky but still small nonetheless. But based on it's performance, I'm now a fan of Sanyo.
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:34 PM   #4

Sanyos do very well in bright lighting -- "great for the daytime outdoor shots", as Fishycomics says -- but they are not good low light camcorders. The Kodak Zi8 still has the best indoor low light and nighttime performance of all the small HD cameras (although some say the lastest Flip Ultra cameras are also very good in low light).
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
Sanyos do very well in bright lighting -- "great for the daytime outdoor shots", as Fishycomics says -- but they are not good low light camcorders. The Kodak Zi8 still has the best indoor low light and nighttime performance of all the small HD cameras (although some say the lastest Flip Ultra cameras are also very good in low light).

I guess it depends what is meant by lowlight. My Sanyo performs pretty well indoors in reasonable lighting (lamp lit room). My playsport, not that well, actually better with 720P in low light than at 1080p. But since segambit says money isn't an issue, I'd rather go for one of the Sanyos he listed, you get flash, are able to record in 1080i 60 fps, optical zoom, and better stills. Even if Zi8 does slightly better indoors, you get way more with the Sanyos.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:43 PM   #6

I will not use it use it much as a camera, its more the video function i need.
So i need the "best" video function. The VPC-CG100 is almost *2 the price of playsport here. A normal camcorder is also a option, but i love the small size of this two camcorders.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:16 AM   #7

Quote:
I will not use it use it much as a camera, its more the video function i need.
So i need the "best" video function. The VPC-CG100 is almost *2 the price of playsport here. A normal camcorder is also a option, but i love the small size of this two camcorders.
Well if it's a money thing, the playsport is not too bad, but if you want the best regardless of price, Sanyo is superior, and we're talking just video quality. In the US, the Sanyo model is only $40 more which is worth the difference, but in a perfect world, nice to have both since Playsport is waterproof, but Sanyo produces better quality.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:37 PM   #8

Quote:
So i need the "best" video function.
Sanyo.

Quote:
The VPC-CG100 is almost *2 the price of playsport here. A normal camcorder is also a option, but i love the small size of this two camcorders.

The Playsport is 1.490 SEK and the CG100 is only 800 SEK more, 2.290 SEK. If you buy Sanyo buy from Netonnet because you will get 3 years extended warranty.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:10 PM   #9

thx.

I love the fact on the playsport that my 4 year old kid can play with it since its very rugged.

I check the store to day and they also have the Toshiba Camileo S20. Its very small and good looking.

So choice is:
VPC-GC100
Playsport
S20

Guess i have to make up my mind, going to the store tomorrow to buy one
Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:55 PM   #10

Quote:
thx.

I love the fact on the playsport that my 4 year old kid can play with it since its very rugged.

I check the store to day and they also have the Toshiba Camileo S20. Its very small and good looking.

So choice is:
VPC-GC100
Playsport
S20

Guess i have to make up my mind, going to the store tomorrow to buy one
No, do not buy Toshiba. Avoid at all cost! If you want video quality go with CG100 and if you want a rugged waterproof camera with ok video quality go with the Playsport.

Edit: And remember, if you choose to buy the CG100 buy it from Netonnet.se because they are the only one who will give you 3 years extended warranty for free.

Last edited by Hurnubrunko; Oct 1, 2010 at 10:22 AM.