Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 9, 2010, 8:10 PM   #1

Default SPEED HD-120Z v SPEED HD-8TZ Lens

Hi there. Am thinking of upgrading to the Speed 120Z from the 8TZ. But the main difference I'm looking for is a wider angle lens.

The lens spec for the 8TZ is - Wide F/3.2, f=6.26mm
While for the 120Z it's - Wide: F1.85, f=6.13mm

Does this mean the 120Z has a wider angle lens than the 8TZ?

It's a basic photography question really but if anyone can help I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Mick
snubnoseuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2010, 1:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snubnoseuk View Post
Hi there. Am thinking of upgrading to the Speed 120Z from the 8TZ. But the main difference I'm looking for is a wider angle lens.

It's a basic photography question really but if anyone can help I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Mick
Yes, absolutely! HD-120Z is actually the best chinese hd hybrid for now, with all the prons and cons of a chinese camcorder. But with good knowledge of photography you can achieve very nice results!!! As I wrote few months ago, this model produces a picture which is much closer to a movie production than every branded hd camcorder of the same class.
Just watch some HD-120Z videos in youtube.
producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 2:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snubnoseuk View Post

Yes, but only slightly. The lower the number in millimeters (mm) is, the wider angle the lens is. But as typical for no-name Chinese camcorders, these are both narrow angle lenses, so the image will essentially be "zoomed in" all the time with a narrow field of view, even with the camcorder zoomed all the way out.
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 3:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
Yes, but only slightly. The lower the number in millimeters (mm) is, the wider angle the lens is. But as typical for no-name Chinese camcorders, these are both narrow angle lenses, so the image will essentially be "zoomed in" all the time with a narrow field of view, even with the camcorder zoomed all the way out.
Thanks for the explanation vwestlife. I wouldn't look to upgrade if there was away of widening the angle on the 8TZ - am pretty sure there's no thread for attaching another lens though. The 120Z dos at least appear to have a bigger aperture.
snubnoseuk is offline   Reply With Quote