Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 16, 2010, 5:21 PM   #11

You can try a 2 free apps. Virtualdub and deshaker plugin, this is suppose to help with camera shake and jello effect. I find I don't use it because my pc is too slow.
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 5:23 PM   #12

that is deffently a jello/ rolling shutter.
so a lot of less panning vs a lot of panning. I am sure that is not what you want.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 5:57 PM   #13

so the unless i use a post production app i am pretty much S.O.L? hell what do you expect for 25 dollars. i still may call emerson monday just to see if i get lucky for a firmware upgrade......haaaa! i did find their website for consumer electronics and they had similar cams listed. i doubt they will have firmware for a most likely discontinued camera. but hey it might be worth a shot.

fishy....
how have you learned the ins and outs of these genre of cameras? do they pay you or something?......just a joke.....
themadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 7:09 PM   #14

I wish this site paid me. well you know the next best thing, this topic is closed, , just kidding?

Emerson/jazz will not have the firmware to fix what cannot be already done with a Real cheap Cmos sensor.

I wonder if crop/stabilization would have been the next step for correction.

have you acted like a fool by moving hte cam up/down, and this happening serious, rolling shutter we talk about happ'n side to side lol.

I think again we cannot complain for a few $$. I suggest maybe its worth returning and grabbing a slightly better model. and I am sure RGVCAM will agree the Aiptek IS-DV, found online ebay for that price.

yes its the is-dv2.4 a great device if asked. at the time
http://cgi.ebay.com/Aiptek-ISDV-2-4-...item4152e1c82b

there we go
http://cgi.ebay.com/Aiptek-IS-DV-5-M...item1e5f08700e

30.00 or less.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Aiptek-IS-DV-5-M...item3a5f9069f1
Old Oct 16, 2010, 7:36 PM   #15

fishy has all the answers! dude i am just trying to build my collection, it pales in comparison to yours!

i will probably keep it just to learn what the guts look like and play around with it. if nothing else it would be a good dash cam or flashlight.

i usually stay away from ebay but those links are interesting.

i ran some footage earlier from a tripod outside and it looked good so its not a total loss.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 9:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadness View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erP92pKzmtU

here we go. a short (maybe should have done it slower) slow pan and a quick movement by the building. the sound is also a little distorted. closer audio does better but i may have also had my finger over the mic, its a small ass camera!!
You will notice that in the second half of the video as you pan slower, there is hardly any 'jello' effect compared to the first half.

Also moving the camera back and forth like that tends to make rolling shutter more noticeable than when you pan just in one direction.

In 'real world' videos so to speak, as long as you pan about half the speed you did in the first half, it won't be as noticeable. It'll still be there but you will find that your intended audience most likely will never notice it. In all the videos I have done, no one has ever told me "wow did you see that wobbly effect" lol Being video enthusiasts, we tend to notice it because we already know it's there.

For $25 and slower panning I think it's something you can live with for basic family video.

Unfortunately rolling shutter is present with any camera that has a CMOS sensor (which is most low end camcorders these days) although the better models minimize this more effectively.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 9:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by garman View Post
You can try a 2 free apps. Virtualdub and deshaker plugin, this is suppose to help with camera shake and jello effect. I find I don't use it because my pc is too slow.
The problem is rolling shutter is not the same thing as camera shake. Camera shake is where the whole image jogs around as a whole, whereas rolling shutter is where the image is distorted top to bottom due to the cameras scan rate. Therefore I can't see a deshaker being of much use.

It seems that video editors may now be including the ability to fix the rolling shutter effect as I read briefly that Sony Vegas has this. I have no idea how effective it is though.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 6:38 AM   #18

your magic word was collection. and that you cannot complain.

I am no Pro, but are you filimg a SST in front of you that you have to try to pann so fast, no. the trick to getting a better video is to learn some steps, and panning is one of them. If tht shot/object is going to be moving. you pan SLOW and in advance, as you are shooting more video, eventually the shot/object catchs up, gets in the pann and moves out, while you are still panning, and then at your shots end. you're done.

1. you may not want t ofilm that much video

2. your scenery may not be exactly where you want it to be

but hey that is how its done.

Again I am no Pro, and I as well wantt ograb that shot paitience.

why I have more than one cam for each needs.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 9:18 AM   #19

offtopic:

I hear ya in all ways......

Yesterday was a windy day had this clip trees blowing, as I add echo in it really gives it a great look.

so what I am saying here, may be on offtopic, and as well editingprogram stuff

sometimes these effects of the cm offering jello effects looks awesome at given times but ruins shots at given times.

I will load up to youtube but not the clip am working on that shows it in full. maybe I will who knows.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 9:20 AM   #20

fishy

what did you mean i may not want to film that much video?