Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:02 AM   #21

that means do not pann fast.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:50 AM   #22

a neat one you got the flip type or the cam type. I guess RGVCAm and I can thank you for getting this as both of us had eyes on this at Walmart around 20-20.00 lol.

Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 17, 2010 at 10:54 AM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:26 AM   #23

i originally had the flip style but the hinge cover fell off. the video was decent but the audio was marginal. i returned it and traded it for the cam version. it has a few more controls and the video is clearer but the trade off is the wobble.

rundown for the flip style
easily pocketable
good video outdoors
audio not so great
low build quality
may have just been the one i had but i really wasnt satisfied even for the price.

the cam style
tiniest cam of that style i have seen
quality video outdoors
led light which is kinda nice in small dark areas
slightly better audio in close range
flip out lcd screen is mounted caddywompus so it doesnt shut completely, most likely a rare defect...lol

if you could connect an external mic (would be cool for my mpvr too) you might be hitting on decent quality that would be worth a little more than 25 bucks. like i said i didnt expect much but it would be cool to straighten out the kinks.

my walmart sucks monkey balls and doesnt carry ANY style of hybrid, aiptek or otherwise.

as much as you guys know about these gadgets you might as well pick one up. hack it up and play with it. i have also noticed that if you add a filter over the lens it does a good job of helping the cam color correct while filming. i took it out side and put it behind my sunglasses and it seemed to help.
themadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:56 AM   #24

thank you. to Mod mic would to open up, and follow some simpl guidelines on here, found on the AHD series, deep in the thread. be able to plug in bypas and unpluf back to the orginal. sodering skills are needed .
not much but some.

I think I will loate at a given time the AIptek IS-DV at a steal. then get that before I attept a best lott special. when you step int Hd, you do not want to step out of it. trust me night and day difference.

Sunglass trick yes will toss a hue. and look awesome at times.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 12:34 PM   #25

themadness, to be honest I rarely buy devices like this locally. The exception being my HDV178 from Walmart and my first solid state camcorder, the original Aiptek IS-DV from Target.

I noticed you said you had an Aiptek MPVR (I have one too, as does fishycomics). So what was your intended use for the $25 camcorder?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 1:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
themadness, to be honest I rarely buy devices like this locally. The exception being my HDV178 from Walmart and my first solid state camcorder, the original Aiptek IS-DV from Target.

I noticed you said you had an Aiptek MPVR (I have one too, as does fishycomics). So what was your intended use for the $25 camcorder?

he said dash cam for car and flash light. to add to his collection if all else goes astray.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 2:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
he said dash cam for car and flash light. to add to his collection if all else goes astray.
Well he did say "if nothing else" which made me assume he had a more general purpose for it.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 2:48 PM   #28

i didnt really have a purpose now that i think of it! i guess i just cant resist cheap buys!

i may use it as a knock around cam at my jujitsu classes. given its quality for outdoor shooting is par with the mpvr i may use it as a back up. i am a it of a gadget junkie. telescopes, microscopes, cameras, mp3/mp4 players, lasers, handheld spotlights, etc all take up a bit of space in my office.

i just downloaded media player classic to see what i can goof around with.
themadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 2:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadness View Post
i didnt really have a purpose now that i think of it! i guess i just cant resist cheap buys!

i may use it as a knock around cam at my jujitsu classes. given its quality for outdoor shooting is par with the mpvr i may use it as a back up. i am a it of a gadget junkie. telescopes, microscopes, cameras, mp3/mp4 players, lasers, handheld spotlights, etc all take up a bit of space in my office.
Lol I hear you. It does show you how cheap these devices have become when there is concern that a $25 device has rolling shutter. It wasn't that long ago we'd have been impressed with that video quality, rolling shutter and all, in a device this side of $200!
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:26 PM   #30

My Jazz DV151 did OK for a $30 camcorder with 320x240 resolution -- it actually had a better sounding microphone than my Aiptek A-HD+! But the rolling shutter was very bad, the image would get incredibly noisy in low light (bright blue and green speckles all over the video), the digital zoom was useless because you couldn't zoom in or out while recording, and it ate AA batteries for lunch -- if you turned the camera "off" and then left in a pair of alkaline batteries overnight, they'd be totally dead by the next morning.

But I would stay far, far away from the very cheap Jazz and Vivitar "HD" camcorders that are selling for around $40 to $80 these days. These are NOT true HD -- all they do is take a VGA-quality image sensor and upscale it to 1280x720 resolution. So technically the video comes out meeting the specs of "HD 720P", but the actual image is very grainy and pixellated.
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote