Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:52 PM   #1

Default correcting the jello effect

i bought a cheap jazz camcorder for about 25 bucks. believe it or not it actually does quite nicely outside. the only complaint i have is the jello effect. when you move around quickly the footage seems to warp similarly to the way trees bend in a harsh wind. it almost looks like a special effect buts rather annoying. a tripod helps a bit, but i cant carry one every where. is there a way to fix it either in camera or post production. the camera doesnt have image stabilizer.
themadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2010, 2:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadness View Post
i bought a cheap jazz camcorder for about 25 bucks. believe it or not it actually does quite nicely outside. the only complaint i have is the jello effect. when you move around quickly the footage seems to warp similarly to the way trees bend in a harsh wind. it almost looks like a special effect buts rather annoying. a tripod helps a bit, but i cant carry one every where. is there a way to fix it either in camera or post production. the camera doesnt have image stabilizer.

Just telling me you bought a jazzcam is minimal info. sorry but others as well love to know if it is a jazz elite HDV-178/ etc, etc.

to correct jello/ rolling shutter is nearly impossable, the cam is already recording and you are doing what cam may not like fast movement. if you said stabilization the program can correct to a certain extent and take many hours of rendering.

I am no pro, but maybe Emerson, can comment the taken over owners, that is a Joke and not a joke about Emerson taking over. they are located in Parspinanny nj Usa
Old Oct 16, 2010, 2:46 PM   #3

its a jazz dv40, 25 dollars at big lots, so i dont expect much but the warping is miserable. it has minor sound issues but it was only $25. the outdoor would be pretty phenomenal if it wasnt for the jello. emerson doesnt have it listed on the website and the digitac website is a couple years old with no updates. i originally bought dv150 for the same price but the hinge cover on the swivel screen popped off right out of the box. neither of them play back well on quick time or windows media player.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 3:08 PM   #4

Quote:
The Jello effect is because of the way the CMOS sensor in the camera scans from top to bottom. If you, or the scene you are filming, are moving quickly then by the time the image has scanned to the bottom, the subject has already moved giving you the slanted effect to objects.

You can minimize the rolling shutter (ie the Jello effect) in many cases by changing how you are filming. How fast are you moving around? If you're getting a noticeable jello effect, you may simply be moving it around too fast. Panning should always be slow anyway since fast panning can be distracting.

If you are filming out of a side car window then rolling shutter is harder to deal with in this case although you can minimize it by following the subject if it's just a short clip of a house, car etc and not just scenery going by.

Some cheap camcorders are worse than others and this may be the situation in your case. Do you have any sample video we could take a look at?

It's a lot harder to deal with it in a video editor although it seems some video editors are starting to include this ability. Even so, any form of correction adds processing time to an already tedious process, so it's best to try and minimize the effect from the start if possible by choosing your scenes carefully etc.

Out of interest, I have a Jazz HDV178 myself (as does Fishycomics, if he still has it!) and it wasn't too bad a little cheap camcorder when we got it.

Last edited by rgvcam; Oct 16, 2010 at 3:14 PM.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 3:15 PM   #5

i am kind of dipsticked on how to upload videos. where do i find instructions?
Old Oct 16, 2010, 3:30 PM   #6

http://www.megaupload.com/ is a popular one that is often used here though there are others.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 3:45 PM   #7

my PC is coughing and hacking at the idea of using mega upload. i noticed that if i turn the camera on its side it eliminates almost all of the warping. but of course it plays back on its side as well. quick movements also distort the sound. is there an editor that can correct these issues. i'm not trying to make any type of indy films or anything but if i take some footage of my kid i wouldnt mind if it didnt look like a fun house mirror.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 3:46 PM   #8

1. I said Emerson has taken over Jazz. and they are now the owners.

2 Yes I still own the great jazz elite hdv-178, was going to take it out last friday.

3, SOmetimes a 25.00 cam may be all that it is worth. cannot get professional video from it. Like RGVCAM said minimal movment is the key. maybe this is why odd lot best lott is selling them at a low price.

4. I look more at what rgvcam just pm'd about a zi6 at walmart 55.00 or so. a far better cam.

Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 16, 2010 at 3:48 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 3:53 PM   #9

Quote:
my PC is coughing and hacking at the idea of using mega upload. i noticed that if i turn the camera on its side it eliminates almost all of the warping. but of course it plays back on its side as well. quick movements also distort the sound. is there an editor that can correct these issues. i'm not trying to make any type of indy films or anything but if i take some footage of my kid i wouldnt mind if it didnt look like a fun house mirror.
Or just create an account at vimeo.com or youtube.com and upload. That way we can at least see how bad the Jello effect is and if it's the result of too fast a panning etc. We only need a short clip not a full movie

Fishycomics, the $55 Zi6 may only be a local thing though. I generally find the clearance cabinet to differ a lot between stores in even in the same area, but even so, check your local Walmart, as every so often they'll have a bargain goody on clearance!
Old Oct 16, 2010, 5:00 PM   #10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erP92pKzmtU

here we go. a short (maybe should have done it slower) slow pan and a quick movement by the building. the sound is also a little distorted. closer audio does better but i may have also had my finger over the mic, its a small ass camera!!