Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 16, 2010, 3:53 PM   #1

Default Best hybrid?

Hi,

I have been looking for the best performing hybrid HD pocket camcorder under $350 for several months now and I thought I found it in the Sanyo Xacti VPC-SH1:

- superb video quality for the size and price
- C-MOS sensor, 1/3.6 inch
- 1080p
- 23x optical zoom (30x optical advanced zoom)
- 1 cm macro

But sadly Sanyo only utilize a 4 megapixel sensor so the camera will use interpolation for photos over 4 megapixels, which is terrible.

So... I'm back at square one, again.

Sanyo Xacti VPC-GH1 seems to be a very similar camcorder:

- C-MOS sensor, 1/2.33 inch
- 1080p video
- 14 megapixel photos
- 5x optical zoom (12x optical double-range zoom)
- 1 cm macro

It looks like I have to choose between superb zoom capabilities or higher megapixel count for photos.

Your thoughts and recommendations about this or any other hybrid HD pocket camcorders under $350?

Last edited by Zomp; Oct 17, 2010 at 1:07 AM.
Zomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2010, 2:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomp View Post
Hi,

I have been looking for the best performing hybrid HD pocket camcorder under $350 for several months now and I thought I found it in the Sanyo Xacti VPC-SH1:

- C-MOS sensor, 1/3.6 inch
- 1080p
- 23x optical zoom (30x optical advanced zoom)
- 1 cm macro

But sadly Sanyo only utilize a 4 megapixel sensor so the camera will use interpolation for photos over 4 megapixels, which is terrible.

So... I'm back at square one, again.

Sanyo Xacti VPC-GH1 seems to be a very similar camcorder:

- C-MOS sensor, 1/2.33 inch
- 1080p video
- 14 megapixel photos
- 5x optical zoom (12x optical double-range zoom)
- 1 cm macro

It looks like I have to choose between superb zoom capabilities or higher megapixel count for photos.

Your thoughts and recommendations about this or any other hybrid HD pocket camcorders under $350?
I have the Sanyo VPC-FH1 that I have been perfectly happy with. Recommended to co-worker and he is very happy with it as well. Going for $279 @ Amazon. Great video and very good stills. I think Sanyo does the best job with reasonable price.
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfan23 View Post
I have the Sanyo VPC-FH1 that I have been perfectly happy with. Recommended to co-worker and he is very happy with it as well. Going for $279 @ Amazon. Great video and very good stills. I think Sanyo does the best job with reasonable price.
Thanks but that particular model is close to 2 years old. I want something newer. It's also hard to find it where I live so the price has skyrocketed up towards $1000. I live in europe.
Zomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 1:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks but that particular model is close to 2 years old. I want something newer. It's also hard to find it where I live so the price has skyrocketed up towards $1000. I live in europe.
It's hard to come up with what may be the best solution as the models available here may not correspond with what you can obtain over there. It looks like you already did your research and narrowed it down.

What is more important to you, high megapixel photos or video? Are you intending to print out photos to a very large size or are you mainly using them for 'snapshots' of places you visit?

Keep in mind that high zoom ranges need a tripod unless you have a very good optical image stabilizer. Sanyo's are not known for their image stabilization.

If you don't want to be carrying a tripod everywhere then why not the Sanyo VPC-GH1 (or even the Pistol grip version VPC-CG100) since it has everything you want except long zoom? For most general situations I find 5x zoom is enough but I am assuming you have a particular application in mind that needs a long zoom.

If you simply must have a long zoom range then perhaps the Sanyo camcorders are not the brand to be looking at, but anything with OIS tends to be more expensive.

Have you had a look at the Canon Digital Cameras such as the Canon Powershot SX20IS. It has 12MP 20x OIS Zoom with 720P HD video recording. Sure it's not 1080P but it would be a good compromise. It's also right at your pricepoint around $350, but then again that's the price here in the USA...
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Meant to say that based on the performance of my Sanyo, I'd go with a Sanyo model, good quality for reasonable price.
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 7:04 PM   #6

Quote:
The Sanyo HD2000A just recently dropped in price and it goes for under $300. High quality optics, large sensor and an 8 megapixel sensor.

But let me say this.. which I have been saying for years now: if you can't produce something worth watching with an old VHS camcorder or even a cellphone camera, don't expect that a 'newer' camera with all the bells and whistles to "do all the work for you" and create amazing video just because.

If you expect the above, then you are falling into the major marketing trap that consumers are entangled in: eye candy (see the push for 'high definition' and '3D' technologies)
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:11 PM   #7

Whooaaa!! Under $300 where?
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:21 PM   #8

At Amazon of course
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Q4VBT2

The Acclaimed FH1A goes for even less than that..
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Q4VC9G

Free shipping they say. But regardless of this.. Is not about the camera, but the operator and the topic. Can you imagine what an overflowing can of garbage will look like in 1080P 3D video?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by subc View Post
At Amazon of course
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Q4VBT2

The Acclaimed FH1A goes for even less than that..
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Q4VC9G
That is dirt cheap if you ask me. Especially compared to prices in my country, where a Sanyo VPC-HD2000(the older non"A" model) goes for approx. $560. Sadly Amazon doesn't sell electronics to overseas. Anyway, thx for the links subc.

Quote:
Can you imagine what an overflowing can of garbage will look like in 1080P 3D video?
Yuck! Don't want to imagine that.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by subc View Post
Can you imagine what an overflowing can of garbage will look like in 1080P 3D video?
Ah but a talented Artist would be able to make that a compelling in-your-face exposition of texture and color that would go down as one of cinematography's finest moments.

oh ok... I see your point...
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote