Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 17, 2010, 4:56 PM   #1

Default Panasonic Now Owns Most Of SANYO

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...ks-shares.html

Quote:
Panasonic Corp., the world’s largest maker of rechargeable batteries, spent 525 billion yen ($6.4 billion) to boost stakes in Sanyo Electric Co. and Panasonic Electric Works Co. and expand in energy-related businesses.

Panasonic has 80.98 percent of Sanyo and 83.93 percent of Electric Works, the company said in a statement today. An offer by Osaka, Japan-based Panasonic to buy shares in the two companies closed yesterday, according to the statement.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2010, 6:35 PM   #2

Exactly - and my new Panny LX5 has CCD pixel binning in it - something Sanyo knew how to do - and really amazing dark sensitivity.

While Sanyo now has a zoom lens for its low end cameras - technology Panny is familiar with
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 7:51 PM   #3

Now all Sanyo need is the OIS technology...
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 2:02 PM   #4

Many don't realize Panasonic also owned controlling interest in JVC.

But a couple of years ago, Panasonic decided to reduce its ownership of JVC.

So they spinned that firm off...

...and now JVC has merged with Kenwood to form "JVC Kenwood Holdings Inc." -- a firm that has decided to stop manufacturing camcorders in Japan in favor of using JVC's existing manufacturing plant in Malaysia.

I bought a JVC camcorder that had been manufactured in Malaysia about four years ago... it was the GR-DF550... and it fell apart in fewer than twelve months.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 2:03 PM   #5

http://japantoday.com/category/busin...ction-in-japan

Article about JVC moving production of camcorders to Malaysia.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 4:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Idaho View Post
Many don't realize Panasonic also owned controlling interest in JVC.

But a couple of years ago, Panasonic decided to reduce its ownership of JVC.

So they spinned that firm off...

...and now JVC has merged with Kenwood to form "JVC Kenwood Holdings Inc." -- a firm that has decided to stop manufacturing camcorders in Japan in favor of using JVC's existing manufacturing plant in Malaysia.

I bought a JVC camcorder that had been manufactured in Malaysia about four years ago... it was the GR-DF550... and it fell apart in fewer than twelve months.
I had a Super VHS camcorder from JVC a bit further back. It was a nice camcorder (not sure why I went with SVHS when I could've got Hi8 instead but oh well, probably cost at the time). Used it for a good while but stopped using it when it tried to chew a tape while using a PC to capture to convert to DVD. Probably a belt broke. That was the point I decided solid state was the future lol

I still have it lying around somewhere. I just didn't think it worth fixing as it would've probably cost an arm and an leg and was already obsolete technology by then.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote