Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:19 AM   #1

Default iPod Touch 4th Gen initial impressions - low light test

Just got me an iPod Touch 4G a few days ago. Been busy at work so I haven't had the chance to do a proper test.

Seems to perform well enough in low light as seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50xwLLjHkJ4

I just wished its .7MP camera performed just as well. Unfortunately, it doesn't. There's currently a tweak to increase the resolution of the stills capability but I haven't had the time to check it out yet. I was pleasantly surprised though to find that the images have EXIF data.

Like most tiny-sensored devices, the still camera will probably perform better in situations where there's a lot more natural light.

1/30"
F2.4
ISO 400
focal length 3.85mm
960 x 720
Auto white balance
sharpness: Hard

I plan to do further video tests to see how this stacks up against my Aiptek AHD200 and my Panasonic LX3.

It records in .mov format and eats up approx. 70 to 50mb of space per minute. Quite hefty, but at 720P it is to be expected I suppose.

So far here are the things I found I like:
1) Surprisingly good HD camera.
2) Responsive hardware thanks to that A4 chip.
3) Ability to directly upload to YouTube (neat!).
4) Ability to edit movies using the iMovie app.
5) Small and portable form factor

Things I didn't quite like:
1) Pi** poor stills capability and
2) You'll need to hold the device horizontally when taking videos. Holding it vertically Mino-style would have been nice.

Time permitting, more tests will be conducted soon.
Tsarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:35 AM   #2

I have to admit that I have been toying with the idea of getting one of these myself but whether I finally will or not is another question
Quote:
There's currently a tweak to increase the resolution of the stills capability but I haven't had the time to check it out yet
I was of the understanding that it only had a 1280x720 sensor at most so any photo tweak probably isn't worth much effort unless of course you want widescreen photos. I guess I am saying that I would find it highly unlikely that Apple 'hid' say a 2MP or higher sensor in there and not used it for still images, but hey I'd sure love to be proved wrong
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:37 AM   #3

Thanks; very interesting.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:33 PM   #4

I have an older ipod touch and i'll be getting a newer one probably next year. the better screen for watching youtube is nice. but what i really like it for is holding reference material. encyclopedias, pdfs of ebooks, etc. personally the video is of such low quality, i can't see that i'd be using it.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 2:36 PM   #5

Personally, I'm holding out to see if APPLE will put a decent camcorder/camera system into the *iPad.*

That's the device that really has my interest at the moment.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

The current iPad has no camera:

Rumors suggest a camcorder/camera of some type is on the way.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 2:44 PM   #6

A front facing camera seems to be a done deal at some point soon since it seems the ipad already has the fixture on the frame ready to receive one. I can't however see them placing a rear camera as it wouldn't make as much sense. An Ipad would make for an awkward camcorder compared to the iPod Touch.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 2:52 PM   #7

Well... here's why I would tend to disagree.

The iPad could actually be mounted on a tripod -- using some third-party accessory tripod adapter -- in such a way that it could be used as both a camera and as a teleprompter for the person on camera.

I think it has tremendous potential as a new tool for journalists in the field.

(I was a TV newsman for years; so that's why it seems to me to have so much potential.)
Old Oct 21, 2010, 3:12 PM   #8

the video looks good TS....

not the best, it has grain, a step above what Aiptek is in a low level. I think it is not bad, but I will carry a cam for that feature amp3 for that feature. until oneday games can be stopped in battery life.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:42 PM   #9

Look how these New York City subway riders pass the time with their Apple iPhones by exploiting the built-in MIDI music playing capability of the devices:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Umx...e_gdata_player
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Idaho View Post
Look how these New York City subway riders pass the time with their Apple iPhones by exploiting the built-in MIDI music playing capability of the devices:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Umx...e_gdata_player
Are you directing to the Atomic ....