Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 30, 2010, 2:15 PM   #1

Default Home Made Vids/Movies

Hey guys !

So I'm planning on doing loads of movies with my new Sony camera, since it also shoots in 1080i50...

I don't know if there are any experts in video around here, but I'm not really familiar with the AVCHD format...can I edit it as it is, or do I have to convert it to H.264 or other web/PC friendly formats ? Will converting deteriorate IQ ?

Oh, and does anyone know of a good free movie-editing software that supports AVCHD ? I don't wanna use Movie Maker...

Thank you !
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2010, 2:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marawder View Post
Hey guys !

So I'm planning on doing loads of movies with my new Sony camera, since it also shoots in 1080i50...

I don't know if there are any experts in video around here, but I'm not really familiar with the AVCHD format...can I edit it as it is, or do I have to convert it to H.264 or other web/PC friendly formats ? Will converting deteriorate IQ ?

Oh, and does anyone know of a good free movie-editing software that supports AVCHD ? I don't wanna use Movie Maker...

Thank you !
I don't know of any free movie editors that would support AVCHD, at least anything worth having. I'll happily be proved wrong by other forum members though!

AVCHD already encodes the video in h264 and the latest versions of most video editors should support it now. You just need to make sure your PC has enough power to handle it though.

Did your camcorder not come with any video editing software? Sometimes they do although it's usually very basic.

AVCHD is a Sony/Panasonic developed format so why not get one of the low end Sony Vegas products for your Sony Camcorder? I don't know what kind of budget you have, but Vegas Movie Studio HD supports AVCHD and is very cheap here in USA ie only $50. Of course I can't speak for where you are in Europe but if you can get it there, it may be worth a look.

If you invested in a good camcorder that you intend to use a lot, you would be wise to buy at least one of the more inexpensive video editors.

I personally use Magix Movie 16. It also handles AVCHD but I don't have a AVCHD camcorder to know how well it handles it.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:03 PM   #3

I'll give you two (2) reasons AVCHD is tough to edit.

1. It's a "long GOP (Group of Pictures)" file format, which requires far more processor horsepower than I-Frame formats. The reason the camcorder makers offer AVCHD and other "long GOP" file formats is COMPACT file size.

2. Older software doesn't support native AVCHD editing, but newer software programs usually support it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Windows users would do well to consider buying Cineform's NeoScene codec for editing AVCHD.

Here's why:

NeoScene is a codec that -- after installation -- works in Sony Vegas, Magix Movie Edit Pro, and Adobe software. (Beware Pinnacle Studio users: It does not work in Pinnacle software).

The NeoScene codec comes with a little software interface called "HDLink." HDLink lets you quickly convert .MTS or .M2TS AVCHD high-definition video files to Cineform high-definition .AVI files that are "lossless" in terms of visual quality. True, the Cineform .avi files will consume a lot of hard disk space -- much more hard disk space than the native .MTS or .M2TS AVCHD files.

However, the Cineform .avi files will edit much more easily... you can import them into most software programs and they won't stress out your computer's processor. Even fairly weak computers can handle them.

On the Mac, you don't need Cineform because Apple includes the free "Apple Intermediate Codec" (AIC). Most Mac users don't realize that when they import AVCHD files for editing, those AVCHD files are being converted to .MOV using the Apple Intermediate Codec. Apple also offers the superior ProRes codec to those who purchase Final Cut Pro.

Once you get the high-definition video into Cineform .avi or Apple .MOV AIC format, then you'll be able to play the files and cut them and edit them in any way you wish.

I have a Windows XP computer here at work... it has an E4400 Intel Core 2 Duo CPU that runs @ 2.00GHz and I find it very difficult for my editing programs to handle raw AVCHD .MTS or .M2TS files.

If you have a brand spanking new computer with the fastest processor, the best graphics card and plenty of RAM, then your programs may be able to handle raw AVCHD .M2TS or .MTS files without much difficulty.

In my experience, the Sony Vegas programs handle the raw AVCHD files fairly well. But even with Sony software, I prefer to use Cineform intermediate .avi files.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:18 PM   #4

Here's a YouTube video that shows original AVCHD raw video compared to the conversion to Cineform .avi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLa9xRMBTcw
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marawder View Post
Hey guys !

Thank you !
You should look into Sony Vegas Hd movie editor. the program will cost some money. and you'll as well find rebates attimes, making the program free, only postage and tax.

If not you'll use youtube as your editor, you can edit there. cannot get any freeer than that.

AVCHD is not difficult to edit. what makes it difficult are older pcs, and no skills.

http://dl.sonicdownloads.net/Downloa...did=4869927440

as I typed in free editor here you go virtual dub

http://www.openmovieeditor.org/

and a online one as well

good luck in your decision.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:15 PM   #6

I'm afraid Fishy's recommendation for Open Movie Editor isn't going to be especially helpful to anybody except those who happen to be running Linux as their operating system.

From Open Movie Editor Web page:

Quote:
Open Movie Editor only works under the GNU+Linux Operating System
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:42 PM   #7

You may also find the VirtualDub mention to be less-than-helpful.

VirtualDub is an Avery Lee project detailed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtualdub

Mr. Lee, himself, states the following:

Quote:
It lacks the editing power of a general-purpose editor such as Adobe Premiere, but is streamlined for fast linear operations over video. It has batch-processing capabilities for processing large numbers of files and can be extended with third-party video filters. VirtualDub is mainly geared toward processing AVI files, although it can read (not write) MPEG-1 and also handle sets of BMP images.
AVCHD is not listed as a file type that VirtualDub is designed to edit.

The least expensive non-linear video editor I've seen is the new version 17 of Magix Movie Edit Pro that is now being offered for $37.99 on Amazon.

That software version fully supports AVCHD:

http://www.magix.com/us/movie-edit-pro/detail/
Old Nov 3, 2010, 5:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Idaho View Post
Here's a YouTube video that shows original AVCHD raw video compared to the conversion to Cineform .avi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLa9xRMBTcw
Warning from Kaspersky

the download of Cineform @ http://estore.cineform.com/downloads.aspx

contains Trojans!!! Trojan-SPY.Win32.Ardamax.jep and Trojan.Win32.buzus.fzip
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 5:12 PM   #9

I doubt your warning message is accurate.

Besides, one can get the Cineform "NeoScene" codec and spend much less money using coupon codes and the Videoguys.com Web site.

I bought two (2) "NeoScene" codec downloads... one for work and one for home.

If you go to the Videoguys.com Web site... just type "NeoScene" into the search box and you'll notice the price offered by Videoguys.com is only $99.95. That alone is a savings of $30.

But first, visit this coupon code site:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/videoguys.com

Some of these coupons work to cut the price even more.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 5:14 PM   #10

http://jaycut.com/
Sorry bout that the one I have with is JAY cut . that will do the job enjoy