Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:51 PM   #1

Default Kodak Play Touch (Zi10) Full Review

Welcome to the Long waited Review of:

The Kodak Play Touch From Kodak Eastman, Rochester NY, USA. 3rd Generation. Camera/Camcorder retails for $229.99 lowest price to date $189.99. visit kodak.com for full spec and details, on any Camcorder /camera product

In this Full Review, you'll find all the info you'll ever wanted to know. Visit me @ Zizo.tv

http://fishycomics.zizo.tv/

All Video's are there for your viewing Please visit, thank you.
*not a sales or promotion, in order for I to continue my hard work, you may also follow me on youtube and vimeo.

This is a Pc Low Budget Economy Hybrid Camcorder daytime and Outdoor shots only.

Welcome to the Kodak Play>Touch 3rd Gen Full 1080P touch camcorder.
Shot with te Kodak ZI8

Boxed Presentation.

A Box has a lot to say, It stands out, grabs your attention, and has te General info you need to know, and what it as to offer at a store, and well Protects your investment. The front cover only shows the main color "BLACK" and on te Side , the other "THREE" while Post Productions are offered as Orange, Green, and Yellow, other colors may vary in countries. A Young Croud, is displayed on te camcorder,close up, of front/back giving enoug info, it's a Video camera (Primary). To its sides you ave again Color sceme, serial mfg date, color sticker of inside the box, symbols of facebook, Youtube, etc and one side saying togther ensemble. On the Back has all your Spec and stated this is a Zi10, wit its contents and info in two languages. Touchscreen, HD Video, DIS, Camera.

This is a Mpeg-4 video format camcorder

Most important information given, requirements;
  • Windowss XP SP2, Vista, Windows 7 or later
  • Internet Exployer 6.0 or higher
  • Pentium 4 2.8ghz processor or higher
  • 1gb ram and 64mb video ram
  • 1024x728 display resolution
  • 300 mb hd space required
  • usb V1.1 or Higher
Unbox Presentation:

A Perfect box I have, it is not, It is Sealed with a Round clear unmarked sticker, The Orginal ZI8 box is Smaller, and Playsport bigger. The Play touc is a deeper and same size box as te Playsport. When opening the ZI10

Camcorder full details

This is a full detail of the actual camcorder, you'll notice excluded, and aftermarket items posted, some of the imagines may or not be in full display or correctly marked, it is for dem purposes.

As we look at A1, the front of the cam it is a thin metal front and residing all around plastic, that is thinner than the usual feeling lighter than the older models out there, for cost cutting purposes. On the sides will be port doors, top switchs, and botton tripods and strap. lets go to A2 and talk more of the front shown. Exposing up in 1. a sdc upto a 32 gb card slot with the thin door, in 2 the rubberband part is no thicker than a hair strand. , as 8 as the same door but larger, they open from the bottom to the top. On/off located on tops side and indented in with a squarei s flat lit light
no. 3,4,5 now a Kodak accessorry, As a aftermarket washer shows (9.5mm) will fit around the Sensor lens, a remote control sensor, and a L.E.D. record light now controlled through electronic touch in settings with sound on/off. In 6 you have a macro/mountain switch that will click and turn the sensors lens getting close up at around 6 inchs witin a inch in/out and standard to infinity from 36.8 inchs to ow far the eyes can see. 7 shows the aftermarket Mic and now Earphone port, excluding tese from te content as it is not a option to purchse plugs at te store, you may purchase a mic at kodak for over 25.00, aswell soon earplugs. setting is shown in A6 when plugged in. 8, and 9 are the other port door exposing a stereo HDMI port, a mini usb port for pc and charging, exposed on top will be a standard tv playback port in a mono fashion, any of these ports must be taken care of , tey can get damaged due to inaccessive use. 9 shows a battery cover exposing KLIP-7004 battery.
A3 the 1/4 tripos molded into the cam tihs time round and can has no flaws , again it protrudes pass te cam, and 4 the linier strap fits in not on top but wit a large strap , 2 and 3, your carging and record two stage still button all in one, as well a back out okay button. speaker for small group or listening to your video's. A4 1 and 2 show the battery section a slide down door and capartment, 3 the pins on top, A5 and A^ a close up of te Mic sown to te side and te capacitive screen it is a simple touch slide, drang, tap.

As the cam is very slim, lightweight, and neatly designed, the company has cut corners, and cost to give improvements to the world, and many may not notice the flaws, if not a previous owner of kodaks camcorders. this is a nicely designed cam showing all its general details. and comes in a few colors, black, white, red, and blue.

There are some main concerns and will be addressed in the Hands on section.

Feature and Functions Presentation:

As we look into the camcorders features, the settings:

Above B1-5 show from te turn on , setting up the language, time and video resolution, that simple to do all with the touch of your finger.

C1-5 Continues along, and most are on/off settings while the Mic gain is of te biggest sub window

D1-5 Sows firmware, and going now into te effect/Magic wand showing other features the cam offers, going tinto the editing program

E1-5 going through te playback and editing program

F1-5 goes through the Share and showing sound, delete, and removal of sd in cam

G1-2 shows connection of Ext plug, and live feed of cam's window

While going through the settings and not through the actual snapshots, and video recording there are a few more screenshots to be added, Live recording, sowing hte Record Bullet, fonts on live record, Snapshot of stills wat is sown right after the shot, asking you withing 2/3 sec to delet te picture. face detections showing if one, two or three changing sizes as distance is increased/decreased.

It is a very user friendly interface, still lacking certain features and functions, while owning another company and watching them improve over time, Kodak, and others are still at the bottom end, they are a great company that seemed to strip themselves short, of adding tese add'l features in their cam, tus making this a basic point-n-shoot model or models. Todays camcorders, not stills, as we are on Video (primary) abd EV and witebalance are no longer a manual controled feature, as well a self timer and other controls left out.

Today this is more a Picphonics cam, just missing "SAY A COMMAND" voice recognition. and I can imagine that in the near future. Very satasfied with the improvement, if I did or not own a kodak before.

Hands On Presentation:

In this segment, I am going to observe how the cam feels, acts in the hands on phase. Finding te sweet spot, what video res works well for me, and how te cam reacts in te settings it is supplied with, as well the programs offered.
  • vid resolutions
  • magic wand (effects)
  • Face detect
  • DIS (digital Image Stabilization)
  • Mic gain up/down
  • Internal, and External mic port
And other setting if applicable. These hands on observations will vary, and take time processing, Comparions with it's orginal model the Kodak Zi8, and Playsport, as well as other camcorders on the market.

This section is in process and being worked on
While out and about, the cam was working fine till a crash, a Vertical lines fillied left to right, and additional crash with frozen video in live record, record counter still going. Possable glitch due to incorrect files or not formating, further observations on my model is needed.

Using a FE-12 Fisheye, now a Kodak product, recommend to keep to orginal camcorders lens and concentrate on shots, rather blow a priceless moment.

Daylight camcorder set to Face detect, DIS no longer called EIS, and Glare control the cam taken with vid and stills, give or take 150 shots, cam taken short to long lengths, on standby to off. put through a 4 hour tour with One battery, switched over to a spare at 90% finishing of tour.

Handeling with the record, started to become natural to use, switching from cam to still became easier, and using a ext mic and Fisheye. Cam will remember previous settings, except the Ext mic, when on/off you must choose Ext mic vs Headset, while again Mic gain set 3/4 always stayed at 3/4, till changed, even when battery is pulled . Kodak Listened and granted our wishes.

Going through the features is as easy to some of memorizing where they are located. Video at top in setting Mic gain on same page, and effects as easy as the live feed lower right, there is no need to go through anything else as the cam is a excellent Point -n-shoot, never stating it is a excellent cam, it is a cam tat will do its job, and its a Pc low budget economy hybrid cam , great for daytime outdoor shots, you'll always hear me say that.

You may see in the above section and images the settings and playback features.

As the hands on it is not on the go, its just a lil getting acostomed to, anyone can learn, kids of all ages. a good job they have done, while minipulated the image on the box that does not reflect the actual zoom image of the cam. People will say on sites tey were part of te team, to work on te layout, they needed to do just a tad more to make this perfect, as they were rushed tat note tank you people, for a excellent job.

Video and Camera Editing and Playback:

As the cam's format is Quicktime.mov.mp4 format a compressed file container using a 8 gb sdhc class 2-4 works just fine, till I further my camera crash, had plenty of space left over 50% to be exact. I still have a opertunity to edit beginning and end clips, as well save additional edited clips as a new file or overwrite. As well grab still frames off a hi res video shot, not while in record like other models and only limited on record time. This cam will record up to a 3.82gb file space, stop and you must it record again to continue. not good kodak, but for some it is.

Lets take a look how editing video of the Play touch, see how easy it is to do. Look for future video soon to come

Comparison to:

As one may be interested in a older or less Model, a comparison of both cams Orginal Zi8 to the Modern Play>touch. You may like older versions better due to construction, Quality, and simplicity. It is said that Kodak cut corners to make ends meet, and how they cut corners, or cost reduction.
  • Body
  • Ports
  • Controls and features
  • Firmware and Engineering
Body Design must cat the attention, Always newer products capture our attention, sometimes standard design works best. Ports, tey do cange so companies can make Money or work with the products you already own, work both ways. Controls, adding or removing and combining will improve or make it harder , till learned. firmware always leaves room for correction, and we are only allowed to move forward, and no longer go back to the old ways.. example Incorrect audio was set, and now corrected with new Firmware, overwritng old that may or not cause issues, as well as stop camcorder sd card crass etc... Engineers always come and go, and newer Engineers love to trial out whatthey think is best, and will listen to the consumer for improvement at given times. Here we ave not yet a Droid camcorder , but getting closer to our needs. One day we'll have what we want.
  1. With the Zi8 compared to the Play touch One major concern, will be removal of Ext mic during a record session, while removing the mic it interrupts and suts off te audio on the Play touch, while the Zi8 it interrupts and continues to have sound.
  2. scrolling and chossing settings te Zi8 is as simple as coosing a vid res, while the PT (play touch) you have a few extra steps, tat may take getting used to, we have a icon now on top with what format we're in
  3. Battery and other icons shown while recording are now shown on the PT, wile the zi8 they tend to go away after a few sec's.
  4. Charge, the lights are important and now changed and show different speeds, on the PT no longer the on/off, while I like hte zi8 light but as well the PT. sometimes less light more battery power,
  5. Auto brigtness vs three sets, the PT as just tat allows you to adjust wile the zi8 not, a added feature it is not for capacitive screens, as this cam imitates a cellphone more today then a cell type .
  6. LED and Sound are now a combined On/off for the PT, while on the Zi8 only sound. softer vz hard led te PT is tesofter, so there was really no need (for me) to have a led turned on/off, it stops reflection back to the cam. others want to stealth vid for Personal reasons.
This list can go on and on, these are just some of the Items I find interesting, while others are more after macro, wobble etc.

Share:

Kodak offers us Facebook, Youtub Kodak galary, Email Orkart, etc..
It is a share feature in the cam, under settings. All are shown or can be Hidden.

I am trying out Kodak gallary, byt visiting hte site, plugging cam in, and expect, to have the Play touch , do its job. So here I go to the site, sign in turn cam on, go to my puter and I am uploading, my way.

I am sharing this Album with you, and I only have two ways to go about it wit Kodak email, or Facebook, take a look at Kodakgallary,com a simple website to surf through enjoy the

click picture for slide show

I tested out Kodak gallary with the Cams Orientation, and it fails to Orientate, like Arcsoft total media Impressinons does, How Kodak cannot correctly do its job?

Orkut is affiliated wit Gmail, simular to facebooks site.

To be continued.

Last edited by fishycomics; Dec 30, 2010 at 6:33 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:26 PM   #2

Pro's and cons Section

Pro's

1. Long Battery life
2. easily switch from cam to still by a tap of the screen
3 Zoom with macro allowed.
4 n0 30 minute limit

Con's
1 FW 1.12 camcorder crash, boot is needed removal of battery with Sandisk 8gb sdhc card. Screen freezed sowing a number of lines, additional crashs will show frozen screen and Record still counting

2. record button low, given times incorrect touch changes screens, a learning process.
a lil confusing with cam and still window.
3. aftermarket lens, still are rounded. video's are perfect.
4. long recording may crash with error. losing file
5. Mic icon Missing
6. going through settings takes a lil longer
7 formatting and confirmation of same area, wised it was a swipe after confirmation, for added protection. as safe guard taqkes care of partial.
8. tv playback excluded 8x 16, and black transparant bars on top/bottom screen, no frame by frame or zoom, sound always resets to 40%
9. record lags, no record sound on start, only end.
10. night sky sot, of stars failure.
11. remote control will only work on Record during live feed, and a few on playback,no stills

Last edited by fishycomics; Jan 2, 2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:26 PM   #3

Video, Still, etc

Kodak Play touch Full Mini Series review
http://zizo.tv/videos/7069/Kodak-Pla...Intro-Part-One

Last edited by fishycomics; Dec 3, 2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 6:32 AM   #4

left for future space
Old Nov 4, 2012, 5:57 AM   #5

always a great cam to have along
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:16 AM   #6

Wow Fish, what a great cam.

Yes I know, I love it, going to grab some footage and enjoy my day out will be shooting in HD720P60f
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:37 PM   #7

Today I shot a good number if Hd720P60f clips, and said chane over to Hd1080P30f.

WHile at times, camera came on in pocket, froze, and card needs reformatting, insufficient this and that. pulled the bat out, pulled the card out. and continued my shoots.

I gotten so used to other cams taking a better snap shot in full, where this one crops in letterbox.

a ton of footage to be edited.

Now to look for a Iphone adapter to transfer on my phone to use Imovie11.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 5:51 AM   #8

I found I get one corrupted file, at a given time not all the time, which is a good thing, on all cams we do get this once in a blue moon.. nothing of importance luckly on the file I lost. I am sure a program will allow a closure and repair if ever needed
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:39 AM   #9

Well if I is not the Kodak crashing it is the Sony laptop all my videos wanting to show pUFF gone

Well off to reshoot more stuff
Old Dec 30, 2012, 7:21 PM   #10

made some good stuff wit the ZI10, in due time will air the footage.