Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:52 AM   #1

Default zi8 vs zi10

After doing a LOT of reading and watching videos I can not decide which one, the ZI8 or ZI10 is the better one to get. I have $1000 panasonic camera for my GOOD shooting but this kodak will be for every day carrying around since it is so small. HOWEVER, I read a lot of negative reviews on the ZI10.

Any insight to which one is the better camera would be appreciated......
dahauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2010, 2:10 PM   #2

Go with your "gut."

I have two (2) Zi8s.

I like them fine.

Zi10 does seem to get not-so-flattering reviews on some Web sites; but who knows? Some love that model too.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 2:30 PM   #3

Well I see a LOT of BAD reviews of the ZI10 and not so many BAD reviews of the ZI8 .. I just dont know... a bunch of people I know went by reviews and have just ordered the ZI8 ....

any additional info would be appreciated....
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:15 PM   #4

Here's a YouTube comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwX2m...eature=related
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:16 PM   #5

And another...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPqYO...eature=related
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:22 PM   #6

One more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahXFx...eature=related
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:45 PM   #7

As I cannot do what I want to do now, I will say lean to the ZI8 it is the better cam on the budget, and lean to the Play touch if you can spend a little more then the budget allows. chrisc74 Private Idaho, points to his video, and Jeff's the yare both a excellent one, and do not forget mine wen I finalize a long extensive review.

I can take a excellent shot, but I cannot with a budget cam, no matter where the sun is this is the best it will ever get, it is not a camera, it is a camcorder primary, then a camera secondary

Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:52 PM   #8

What do you mean lean towards the play touch if your budget allows? My budget allows for either cam at this point but from the reviews it seems the ZI8 is the better choice? Am I missing something? From all the specs, the cameras should be almost the same but I see a lot of bad ZI10 reviews and the video looks better on the ZI8. any more comments...

Thanks....
Old Dec 16, 2010, 4:24 PM   #9

If your budget is limited you go with the Zi8, if you can afford to spend just a lil more you ....

If you never owned a Zi8, you now have that option to get the Play touch. It is the newer camcorder, and you can compare the differences what are the diffrence?

example the Zi8 has playback speeds of up to 16x, te Play touch up to 4x

To take away 8x and 16x may mean the world to previous owners that have the ZI8, that may want to purchase the newer version cam.

So eac cam as ups and downs, ere is another , and it is te main reason why I Lean towards the Zi8

External mic port plugin.

when recording a video, you have full control of recording with te external mic port, you may plug in after you hit the record, and remove during the record, the only interuption will be 1.5 seconds of silience.

Play touch. to be tested further. when recording avideo, you are limited and cannot unplug external mic, your video will lose sound.

Like said tere are many ups and downs to go through and why I lean to te Zi8.

I will say tis, today I went to a trail, I taken that picture, that was basically the only picture that came out good, understanding this is a camcorder first, still camera secondary.

I cannot show you video, and will have tem made at a later date, I have people talking, nad I cannot hear a single word tehy said in the Play touch clip at all. and taht was with a external or internal mic at 70% turned up.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:53 PM   #10

I don't think the Zi10 is a bad camera.

But it's just not enough to lure me to upgrade from my Zi8s.

If I were starting all over again, it would not be a contest between the Zi8 or the Zi10.

For me, it would be a contest between the Kodak Playsport and other models, especially now that it's obvious to me that the best way to record audio with all of these pocket camcorders is to use a separate audio recorder for higher quality audio. So the lack of a microphone input no longer would prevent me from buying a Kodak Playsport.

The only thing I would want to double-check is to make sure the Playsport model can record while plugged into a wall outlet because I need to record for long periods of time.

My Sanyo VPC-CG6 models can't record while plugged into a wall outlet, which is a dirty rotten shame that makes those models less useful. I've donated them to my employer, but they hardly get any use because of that rotten fact. So, I've also had to donate my Aiptek Action HD and my Aiptek GO-HD+ models and I've also donated my two (2) Panasonic SDR-S10s. Finally, we have enough camcorders at work to get the video we need.

For audio, I still have to loan my Olympus recorders from time to time.