Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:48 PM   #1

Default 3M Shoot and Share Hybrid camcorder with built-in projector

Just picked one of these up for my dad but had I known more details would have gotten the Viewsonic DVP5. Basically both of these are hybrid Camcorder/Camera with a built in projector. These 2 look identical, looks like the same guts inside and looks outside, only difference is the color. However the biggest difference is capabilities, both can project the videos and pics you just took and can project from a device using composite cables (dvd player, game console) but the Viewsonic has an extra ability to project from a notebook whereas the 3M cannot. Why you make a projector that can't project from a notebook, I have no idea. Retail price is about the same for both, ranging from 270 - 300 (Bought mines on ebay for $240 with a 8GB card, which really factored into my getting the 3M). The projector works great, seems like it can do more than the 65" it supposed to be limited to, and do it quite well. Sound coming from the device isn't that great however. Video and pics, very good with sufficient lighting, not good in low light.

Funny thing is in the manual, although they don't mention anything about projecting from a notebook in the tutorial section, in the troubleshooting section one of the issues listed is troubleshooting issues projecting from a PC/notebook. I called 3M about this and they were like, hmm we see what you mean by assuming it has the ability. It seems like maybe it's a firmware away from being able to do this. I read up on the Viewsonic and it actually projects a notebook using the USB. When you connect it you get 2 options, access the disk, or use as a USB projector.
With the 3M (identical looking menu) you only get the disk access option. Both are about the same price on Amazon, I wish I did my homework. Since I bought from a private party, I'm reluctant about returning for a refund as opposed to returning to a reputable merchant. So if you're in the market for one of these, seems like Viewsonic went the extra mile.

By the way, seems like both companies just rebranded the Aiptek Z20 which had been released for some time but curiously doesn't seem to be available in the states. The Aiptek doesn't seem to be able to project from a notebook either but has 2GB built-in and has a remote to make up (Viewsonic has a remote but 3M has neither). So out of the 3, seems like 3M gives you the least capability but unfortunately was the one I chose purely based on price (How was I supposed to know 3M would gut so much out!!! ahhhhh!!! Oh, yeah would have helped to check the specs beforehand).

Last edited by HDfan23; Dec 17, 2010 at 12:40 AM.
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:15 PM   #2

$300

Review by PCMag.com:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2373900,00.asp

Quote:
Bottom Line
The $300 3M Camcorder Projector Shoot 'n Share CP40 fuses a pocket camcorder with a portable projector. It's fun to use, but you can get a much better compact HD video camera for a lot less.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:25 PM   #3

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/dvp5.htm

The ViewSonic looks practically identical except for color.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:26 PM   #4

Here's the 3M official Web page for this model:

http://www.3m.com/shootnshare/
Old Dec 17, 2010, 4:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Idaho View Post

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/dvp5.htm

The ViewSonic looks practically identical except for color.

Yep except Viewsonic can project from a notebook and has a remote whereas 3M has neither.
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote