Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:41 PM   #1

Default Kodak Playtouch Model Zi10 Full Review

Welcome to the Kodak Playtouch. this is a review , a basic review and hping this review will make your decision as easy as asking a member at Steves, offering advice on a product they own.

You may visit Kodak.com for further details on specs and manual, any questions also may be asked at the chat sessions.

This is a Pc low Budget Economy Hybrid camcorder made for Daytime Outdoorshots, using a Pc or mac, this is not a Home Entertainemnt device for Professional use.

Lowest Price found to date $99.99, retails for $229.95 Sales as low as $150.00

A Hybrid camcorder consists of;
  • a camcorder
  • a camera
  • a voice recorder
  • a mp3 player
  • a webcam
This camcorder does not consist of the five essentials but of two.

What makes it a Hybrid? Answer the ability to capture Stills, te ability to add in Files to view playback as a PMP (portable Media Player), together than that it is really concidered to be a Budget camcorder, offtopic.

The Playtouch has a Cmos sensor 1/3.2 over the older or earlier Model the zi8 1/2.5, allowing more or less light to the camcorder. The Newer Models Playsport Zx-5, and Playfull both have the latest Cmos sensor 1/3.2.

For futher info on Cmos sensors google search.

The Playtouch is the First capacitive touchscreen, for Kodaks Hybrid, they call. Better proformance, control, etc. You have a new Improved Digital Image Stabilization, Face Dectection, and Added onboard Effects, and Editing.

The Cam Debued in Sept of 2010, and offered a price tag of $229.95, today it is on sale as low as a sale price of $189.95, and can be found at its lowest $159.95.

Is this worth the additional $10.00 of the Kodak Zi8 @ $179.95?

The choice is yours, first time owners, to previous owners, it is a great choice, if asked. Further info will be descussed in the topics.

Here is a- " Intro and Unboxing review:" < please click me

Here is a-" Features and Functions review:" < please click me

Here is a-" observation during review:"<please click me

Here is a- " Tv playback review:"< please click me

Accessorries video's

Here is a- Accessorries FE-12 fish eye review:" < please click me

Here is a- accessorries Fe-12 observation review:<please cick me

Below are a number of Sample video's shot with the cam in many various ways, and using Aftermarket Software, Magix Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus video resolution in Hd1080P MP4 gives minimal Issues with minimal crashing, Please review rate, and comment.

Click on any of the titles for video.

Kodak Playtouch Flamingo Full 1080p

Kodak Playtouch flamingo 7

Kodak Playtouch Fliamingo 6

Kodak Playtouch Flamingo 5

Kodak Playtouch Flaming 4

Kodak Playtouch Flamingo 3

Kodak Playtouch Flamingo 2

Kodak Playtouch Flamingo 1

Kodak playtouch Circus 3

Kodak Playtouch Circus 2

Kodak Playtouch Circus 1

Kodak Playtouch Circus

Kodak Playtouch Monkey Island 5

Kodak Playtouch Monkey Island 4

Kodak Playtouch Monkey Island 3

Kodak Playtouch Monkey Island 2

Kodak Playtouch Monkey Island 1

KodakPlaytouch Monkey Island

Kodak Playtouch Beach day

Thank you. There you have it, even though when new products come out,there is always a newer one around the corner. Research, get samples, and ask questions.

Always at kodak they try to improve, with newer firmware,, always look for and decide when to Download.

If there is any question that I cannot answer, I am sure we can find a solution, remembr Kodak Monitors, and we'll get a resolution to the issues. why this topic was made, and always continueing the fun.

IfI have helped you in any way Please offer Kodak at customer Service your thanks.

On that Note always check back for further info.

Last edited by fishycomics; May 1, 2011 at 6:44 AM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:31 PM   #2

Here are some sample Stills 16:9 5mb Interpolated software enhanced

Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:33 PM   #3

Future space
Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:49 PM   #4

Watching the beach video in winter sure gives me pause to take a little drive south. Just curious why you didn't plunk the camera in the water. Is it not water proof?
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 5:57 AM   #5

These are my Notes of the Playtouch, so I can further place in videos of the downside and upside that I am working on, hoping the Kodak Focus Team will see.

Finally updated to the latest Firmwares, My Final thoughts about the cam, are hard to put into a video, as well words, as mixed emotions of how I feel day to day.

Downside

Sound, Wind takes over all surrounding noise, not good

video to come

External Mic, it is supressed by 50%, no matter how high the Mic gain, it is too low, distant sound is too low, even the people you are within mic reach.

video to come

Dusk/Dawn shots of White background/foreground, Grainy. From 6 am-8 am, and 6pm-8 pm as sun is rising, or lowering the video is unsatasfactory.

video to come

Playback, Deletion, no delete all,, force of formatting card each time for multiple file deletions.

Battery Door crease is picked up by Int Mic causing crackle noise, as well the side seals.

Remote control has limitations, where you must use more the cams features over the remotes.

Charging, Usb unknown time, while ac port dimly flashs and times out,
upside

To be edited in more info at a further date.

Last edited by fishycomics; Feb 4, 2011 at 2:17 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 9:50 PM   #6

Just watched all of your videos on this. Really admire the effort you put in.

Would you recommend this camera? As for me, it seems to tick all of the boxes.
IanStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 8:48 AM   #7

I have made many videos with the Kodak Playtouch, and here is just one video showing some of my work, the tomtom gps was released way to early for the North American region, leaving out vital stuff. like device recognition to pc and mac. gohome use. and not a great thingwhen repairs are in the works and expected months later

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ADVL55LEI
Old May 1, 2011, 6:45 AM   #8

Bestbuy.com offering at its lowest price ever 99.99 May 1, 2011 on sale.

The Playtouch has never dropped this low, and this can only mean a few things. discontinued, for new Model, selling stock out, of returns, or just a good ole sale.
Old May 4, 2011, 7:16 AM   #9

As I observe my vid clips. I noticed on my last one a reverb, echo, or feedback, with a high sound. Not with a external mic, just funny it was the first time ever. Like having a mic to close to ya, and the ears screeching..

More and more we use the zi10\PT more we get used to it.

I find finger placement for the capitive screen is important when vloggin on the spot. And either you must turn cam on, hit recrd, face to you for best results, but wasted video at start, and forgetting no, saving batt life we can cut out with inhouse editing. Either we fight to get the cam to properly record facing you, or lose video space and or batt life.

At given times too much light or too little light will play a hard toll. Face detection must be either turned off or face detect, and we never know if that shot is perfect. Why the cam should have ev settings manually as well iso manually. Remembering this is a basic on the go camcorder, not still camera.

So what better way to enjoy your footage, share them online, and I have yet to use the share feature, on that note enjoy your priceless moments with the kodak playtouch lowest price to be found 99.99
Old May 4, 2011, 7:16 AM   #10

As I observe my vid clips. I noticed on my last one a reverb, echo, or feedback, with a high sound. Not with a external mic, just funny it was the first time ever. Like having a mic to close to ya, and the ears screeching..

More and more we use the zi10\PT more we get used to it.

I find finger placement for the capitive screen is important when vloggin on the spot. And either you must turn cam on, hit recrd, face to you for best results, but wasted video at start, and forgetting no, saving batt life we can cut out with inhouse editing. Either we fight to get the cam to properly record facing you, or lose video space and or batt life.

At given times too much light or too little light will play a hard toll. Face detection must be either turned off or face detect, and we never know if that shot is perfect. Why the cam should have ev settings manually as well iso manually. Remembering this is a basic on the go camcorder, not still camera.

So what better way to enjoy your footage, share them online, and I have yet to use the share feature, on that note enjoy your priceless moments with the kodak playtouch lowest price to be found 99.99