Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:35 PM   #21

thanks for the info fishy! i live 5 mins from the GWB do you think we could meet up one day so i could see how that sanyo is before i buy one? i see you have reviewed many cameras!!!
dreamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 2:59 PM   #22

I own the sanyo xacti hd700. I may need to buunje jump that bridge lol.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:03 PM   #23

what would you recommend in my price range fishy?
dreamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 5:29 PM   #24

I I could not afford the best I get the next best thing, but leave always room open.

the Zi8, the Playtouch.

Remember if the mic and the wee hours or evening can be delt with, if its the snow or white backgrounds.... that is how I feal today of the Playtouch.

I also look at other models that you have in mind.
I can recommend the cam I own both, I am contented and happy with it, it is my daily shooter. I am super picky no, just set in my old ways.

I love to deal with a company that will talk to me, and Kodak has not.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 5:37 AM   #25

Hi dreamps,

I hope I'm not too late. Oh well, it might benefit other readers. :-)

The sony tx10 is indeed more expensive but it's got extra features - waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof. What's really amazing is that it can also take 3d images and records in 1080p. I'd say it's more future-proof so I'd recommend it for people who don't regularly replace their cameras. :-)
wishsony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishsony View Post
sony tx10 is indeed more expensive but it's got extra features - waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof. What's really amazing is that it can also take 3d images and records in 1080p. I'd say it's more future-proof so I'd recommend it for people who don't regularly replace their cameras. :-)
The Sony TX10 does look very attractive -
it is 1080i (interlaced) at 60fps -
I don't think there is a 1080p at either 60fps or 30fps -
from the specs:
Video Mode : 1,920 X1,080 (FX) Approx 24Mbps Approx 60fps interlace 1,920 X1,080 (FH) Approx 17Mbps Approx 60fps interlace 1,440 X1,080 (HQ) Approx 9Mbps Approx 60fps interlace 1,440 x 1,080 Approx 12Mbps Approx 30fps, Progressive 1,280 x 720 Approx 6Mbps Approx 30fps, Progressive 640 x 480 (VGA) Approx 3Mbps Approx 30fps, Progressive

Video Format : AVCHD / MP4 / MPEG-4 AVC(H.264)

There does seem to be a trend for these everything proof cameras -

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3

Olympus Tough TG-810

Pentax Optio WG-1 GPS

However all the low prices are well over $300 - it may seem to give some degree of future proof - but at that price one could buy a Kodak PlaySport Zx3 ($110 new shipped) or Kodak Zi8 (~$70-80 while stocks last) both of which are well proven and generally highly regarded and both actually have true 1080p/30fps
- when/if they are overtaken by new technology - buy the newer models at around the same price.....
for the same price - that's about 3 generations - I doubt if the Sony TX10 (or any of the others), good as they might be, would really last then 3 generations of more specialized HD pocket camcorders?

Last edited by UnknownVT; Apr 11, 2011 at 11:26 AM.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 12:44 PM   #27

My uncle has had it for about 18 months and hasn't had any problems with it. He uses it to film product demos for his job and it does a good job for me. He has an iPhone 4 now, and pretty much uses that exclusively, so I may be inheriting his Zi8. It's really a nice simple point and shoot. The video looks nice and the screen is still one of the best around for its class. Other people are enamored with the ability to use an external mic, but on a pocket cam that does't really excite me. I have seen the Zi8's for around $60-70 online and, for that money, you really can't go wrong. [Although a free one from my uncle is certainly better! ]
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 2:53 PM   #28

Still on the subject of everything proof cameras -
FujiFilm seems to have an XP range that are low priced -
eg: FujiFilm FinPix XP10 msrp $150 can be found for ~$100 - 5x optical zoom 36-180mm (35mm equiv) - 720p/30fps - 12Mp stills - seems reasonable -
BUT the zooming noise seemed obtrusive on videos -
that alone is a deal breaker for me.

Newly released (so prices haven't dropped yet) -
XP20 (msrp $200) and XP30 (msrp $240) apparently the same except the XP30 adds GPS. Both add image stabilization and are now 14Mp stills. Video remains at 720p/30fps - 5x Optical zoom but wider at 28-140mm (35mm equiv). I hope they have cured the video zooming noise problem -
but it's hard to see how, if it is mechanical and the microphone is close by........
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 4:26 PM   #29

I am not really sure what the utility is of geo-tagging video. When I take home movies, the first thing I do is give the date and identify the event and location (today is July 31, 2010 and we are in Paris about to visit the Eiffel Tower....). What more do you need?? Am I missing something? I do get it for still pictures, since you have no voice intro.
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 5:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by set2374 View Post
I am not really sure what the utility is of geo-tagging video. When I take home movies, the first thing I do is give the date and identify the event and location (today is July 31, 2010 and we are in Paris about to visit the Eiffel Tower....). What more do you need?? Am I missing something? I do get it for still pictures, since you have no voice intro.
I rather have something else on a function then a GPS that absorbs Power,

I see myself doing that as wel lSet2374. maybe I will do it more often.

If I go away I do understand I wan the exact location so I can get candy, the fleece hjacket i missed etc. but normally all works out for me.