Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 25, 2011, 3:42 PM   #1

Default best hybrid camera to buy

hey guys!

i currently own an aiptek a hd 720p camera and have had it for years. it did a great job but now my brother and I want to graduate to a better camera. the main issue wtih the a hd was the microphone and image blur while panning fast.

i see there are several options. kodak just came out with a new camera that is waterproof upto 10 feet and has 720p recording at 60fps.

i see aiptek also has 2 cameras to battle that one. the AHD-H12 Extreme 1080P and the Action-HD HDMI 1080P.

my other thought was to buy a canon that has 720p recording as well like a sd1400.

thoughts? the reason the aiptek action hd has the edge is the gyro. any thoughts on that?
dreamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2011, 4:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamps View Post
hey guys!

i currently own an aiptek a hd 720p camera and have had it for years. it did a great job but now my brother and I want to graduate to a better camera. the main issue wtih the a hd was the microphone and image blur while panning fast.

i see there are several options. kodak just came out with a new camera that is waterproof upto 10 feet and has 720p recording at 60fps.

i see aiptek also has 2 cameras to battle that one. the AHD-H12 Extreme 1080P and the Action-HD HDMI 1080P.

my other thought was to buy a canon that has 720p recording as well like a sd1400.

thoughts? the reason the aiptek action hd has the edge is the gyro. any thoughts on that?
What's your budget?
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 4:52 PM   #3

around 250 which is the cost of the h12.. i go snowboarding,wakeboarding,fishing etc... so it needs to be versatile.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 5:05 PM   #4

Quote:
around 250 which is the cost of the h12.. i go snowboarding,wakeboarding,fishing etc... so it needs to be versatile.
Hmm so looks like you need something waterproof. I have the Kodak playsport which is pretty good with the 720P 60 FPS which I've also used snowboarding. 1080P mode is good if you can keep the phone super still but it doesn't seem like the stabalizer even kicks in, 720P 60 FPS is very good. But if you want better quality and can keep your camcorder dry somehow, I like the line of Sanyo camcorders, they have a few 1080i 60FPS that go from 130 - 200 on Amazon. I have a Sanyo VPC-FH1, one of their older HD camcorders, but still works great and is palm-sized, but these newer Sanyo ones are even tinier and lighter. Sanyo has a mix of pistol grip and shot-put grip, seems like there's not a whole lot of difference in specs, give or take a few megapixels with the still pic function but video resolution seems all the same.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:10 PM   #5

get the sony tx5. 720p video and water proof
qv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by qv98 View Post
get the sony tx5. 720p video and water proof
But this is primarily a digital still camera that happens to also take video, I'm sure dreamps is a video guy first and still camera 2nd based on what he plans to use it for. Plus the Sony only does 30 FPS, 60FPS is better for any fast panning motion or fast moving objects.

Also I hate the fact that Sony uses its own proprietary storage cards that are significantly more expensive than the standard SD cards.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 4:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfan23 View Post
Plus the Sony only does 30 FPS, 60FPS is better for any fast panning motion or fast moving objects.
good point. maybe spend a bit more for the tx10 and get 1080i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfan23 View Post
Also I hate the fact that Sony uses its own proprietary storage cards that are significantly more expensive than the standard SD cards.
they stopped doing that last generation. they all take sdhc now
qv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:44 AM   #8

i was thinking about getting a canon sd series which takes 720p video but i want a camcorder that i can take out on the boat or on the slopes with me. so i am going to go w/a camcorder.

i will check out the sanyo's that you mentioned.

does anyone have any experience with the gyro that they put in the action hd? is it worth it? is it better than electronic stability?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by qv98 View Post
good point. maybe spend a bit more for the tx10 and get 1080i

they stopped doing that last generation. they all take sdhc now
Ah smart move, no reason to be different and more expensive.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:58 AM   #10

Quote:
i was thinking about getting a canon sd series which takes 720p video but i want a camcorder that i can take out on the boat or on the slopes with me. so i am going to go w/a camcorder.

i will check out the sanyo's that you mentioned.

does anyone have any experience with the gyro that they put in the action hd? is it worth it? is it better than electronic stability?
I used to have the Aiptek GVS, pretty good camcorder but I think like a lot of what Aiptek does, just uses a bunch of buzz words to make things sound better than it really is. Doesn't seem different from any other EIS stablization I've seen on other camcorders. Also on Amazon the Sanyo's are about the same price but offer 1080i 60 FPS, highest 60 FPS for Aiptek is 720P, believe me huge difference in quality. Plus Sanyo's take way better stills.