Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:35 AM   #1

Default Aren't all camera hybrids now?

I was watching Fishy's PlayTouch review and he said something that I thought was very very interesting.

He pointed out that the PlayTouch was to be considered a hybrid cam even though it didn't do all of the functions you might expect (no MP3, no web cam, etc.)

I also recently purchased a Panasonic ZS7 at costco for $200 (great deal by the way, you get a 12x zoom, great video, great pictures + built in GPS) and I got to thinking -- If the PlayTouch is considered a hybrid shouldn't my ZS7 be considered a hybrid also?

If that was the case I think it would do very, very well against the Kodak play series and Aiptek cameras -- It has much better optics, quailty of video and stills, low light and advanced features like a built in GPS. From a price point of view it's a little more expensive ($50 or so) but you are getting a much better camera.

Unless you could only afford $150 and no more it seems like the better way to go is with 'regular' camera like my ZS7 that can do video.... Or am I missing something?

Fishy, what do you think?
loghound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:48 PM   #2

I can only offer my Opinion, and I could not agree more with you.

How do you like the camera < iam one day going to look for a digital camera that offers Hd1080P and hoping a ext mic can be found.

What makes a Hybrid camera or camcorder, and why I said the info in the Playtouch.

A PC Low Budget Hybrid cam consists of 5-n-1 devices
  • Camcorder
  • Still
  • Voice recorder
  • MP3
  • Webcam
PIcbridge, printer, mass storage, and Portable media player are some other added features.

Back when I gotten intrested in a Hybrid cam, these were the features, and video resolution ws at its highest 320x240 a s card costing a ton of money.

Today the Hd resolution kinda takes up most the cams ability to have the extras, the Ambrella chip, that Wayne, and others always talks about....

KOdak is a cell type cam a flat cam, Aiptek is a Pistol type cam, these are the two styles that have been around, no matter which company, to namea few others off the top of my head
Hanshing, DXG SVP ISPAN, digilife, Ranger. Jazz, samsonic, viewsonic, Pure digital, rca, and so on.

I do not concider Kodak to be a Hybrid, 100%, and I do not think your Panny as well, for the reason of these two types only do two thing , Video and still. But I am no Pro, and a GPS is only a location device to record info where you snap shots.

It does not have the voice recorder, Mp3 player or webcam, neither the Kodak.

But since Today they do take both vid and stills they are concidered HYbrids., Primary Video, or Primary Still. but to cut the corners, we the consumer are paying over the regular price for what we could have added features. Aiptek taken out the webcam software, if they added it in the webcam is in their cams, as well the Mp3, some have gotten them to work via hacking.

I am never perfect, nore 100% right , but that is how I feel about the Kodak and a digital still cam.

Price 300 plus was the goingrate for a hybrid even 1000.00 but something under 200.00 and having 5-n-1 features. were the ways things used to be. not today

again my opinion. hope I made a lil sense and thank you.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:40 AM   #3

Have you looked at Android tablets? You can get an android tablet with a 2.0 megapixel camera. it's a webcam, a videocamera, a still camera, a audio recorder, an mp3 player. it has hdmi out. Under $200.

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
I can only offer my Opinion, and I could not agree more with you.

How do you like the camera < iam one day going to look for a digital camera that offers Hd1080P and hoping a ext mic can be found.

What makes a Hybrid camera or camcorder, and why I said the info in the Playtouch.

A PC Low Budget Hybrid cam consists of 5-n-1 devices
  • Camcorder
  • Still
  • Voice recorder
  • MP3
  • Webcam
PIcbridge, printer, mass storage, and Portable media player are some other added features.

Back when I gotten intrested in a Hybrid cam, these were the features, and video resolution ws at its highest 320x240 a s card costing a ton of money.

Today the Hd resolution kinda takes up most the cams ability to have the extras, the Ambrella chip, that Wayne, and others always talks about....

KOdak is a cell type cam a flat cam, Aiptek is a Pistol type cam, these are the two styles that have been around, no matter which company, to namea few others off the top of my head
Hanshing, DXG SVP ISPAN, digilife, Ranger. Jazz, samsonic, viewsonic, Pure digital, rca, and so on.

I do not concider Kodak to be a Hybrid, 100%, and I do not think your Panny as well, for the reason of these two types only do two thing , Video and still. But I am no Pro, and a GPS is only a location device to record info where you snap shots.

It does not have the voice recorder, Mp3 player or webcam, neither the Kodak.

But since Today they do take both vid and stills they are concidered HYbrids., Primary Video, or Primary Still. but to cut the corners, we the consumer are paying over the regular price for what we could have added features. Aiptek taken out the webcam software, if they added it in the webcam is in their cams, as well the Mp3, some have gotten them to work via hacking.

I am never perfect, nore 100% right , but that is how I feel about the Kodak and a digital still cam.

Price 300 plus was the goingrate for a hybrid even 1000.00 but something under 200.00 and having 5-n-1 features. were the ways things used to be. not today

again my opinion. hope I made a lil sense and thank you.
parocks is offline   Reply With Quote