Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 22, 2011, 5:19 AM   #31

http://www.woot.com/

maybe if these wil lwork how cheap can a company get, well companies Sanyo is another.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 5:23 AM   #32

Kinda sad to read this. Was really considering buying the Zx5. So i guess the (old) Zx3 would be a better choice...

Others have the same experience with the Zx5?
dandric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:28 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandric View Post
Kinda sad to read this. Was really considering buying the Zx5. So i guess the (old) Zx3 would be a better choice...

Others have the same experience with the Zx5?
I suggest you read reviews on Amazon. There is only 6 because it is a new cam. However, pretty much everyone is not happy. Kodak will loose money on this I suspect.

I was in the same boat. I reaaaaallly wanted the new Zx5. I was so disappointed.
mikeyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 7:19 AM   #34

Compare videos are popping up on youtube (just search on "kodak zx3 zx5"), still not 100% sure what i will do...

Is it possible to disable Auto-focus on the Zx5?

And lets hope Kodak improves it with some firmware upgrades?
dandric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:30 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandric View Post
Compare videos are popping up on youtube (just search on "kodak zx3 zx5"), still not 100% sure what i will do...
Is it possible to disable Auto-focus on the Zx5?
And lets hope Kodak improves it with some firmware upgrades?
I think we're seeing typical early Kodak teething problems with the new Zx5 - they had it with the Zi6 and Zi8 - some horrendous ones too - like freezing up on longer clips, over-heating and noisy recordings -
but eventually those problems were addressed - some by firmware - others I suspect may have been beyond firmware.

So firmware may be able to improve some things -
others may require hardware correction.

I do not think the auto-focus can be disabled - so one can only hope that the AF can be improved by firmware - however I kind of doubt that - so this is one area where Kodak may have shot themselves in the foot - by what seems like an advance - but turns out to be a big disadvantage -

I mean fixed focus may sound primitive/stupidly simple - but what can go wrong? as long as one keeps the subject further away than 1m (39") - there is nothing to go out of focus -
whereas with AF it can lock onto the wrong thing -
or as mikeyank reported above, be slow to focus......
which just is not a good thing.

If we are comparing with the Zx3 - unfortunately at the stage of the game - the Zx3 has the Zx5 beat hands down - despite and perhaps because the Zx3 is coming to the end of its run.

The Zx3 is about as good as it will ever get - Kodak are unlikely to improve it any more since the Zx5 is replacing it - but it's had a year's worth of feedback/complaints and corrections/improvements -
whereas the Zx5 has only had about of month's of feedback/complaints (some I suspect may have got FREE early samples from Kodak - so not exactly UNbiased), and zero corrections/improvements.

The reviews of the Zx3 had been overwhelmingly positive -
it was selected by ConsumerSearch.com as the top pick of Compact HD Camcorders (link)
ConsumerSearch.com claim to review the reviews -
ie: survey the available reviews, rate them, then come to some consensus.

Zx3 was also the pick for pocket HD camcorder at CamcorderInfo.com 2010 Selects Awards

I would seriously wait on the Zx5 -
(1) for the price to drop,
(2) see more reports and reviews,
(3) watch for any corrections/improvements.

Why would I want to pay money to field-test the Zx5 for Kodak?
I'd much rather someone else do that -
so, to all you early adopters - thank you.

Whereas the Zx3 prices seem to be at an all time low -
~$110 brand new shipped,
or ~$90 re-certified refurbished by Kodak....

Last edited by UnknownVT; Mar 25, 2011 at 11:37 AM.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 6:12 AM   #36

Vids on youtube shows:

defec in lens if it is sett o far back, poor glass prism. causing flashs of bronz light LOL.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:54 PM   #37

Default ........

Hey fishycomics, have you been commenting on chrisc74's videos about the zx5? I just found these forums, I really them.

But i am having my doubts about the ZX5 now. I really want to get the Zi8, but the .mov format really puts me off. Can they be edited in sony vegas? I heard that if you downloaded the latest quicktime player with sony vegas 10, then they edit fine, but I wanted to know from someone who has been using the Zi8.

If I can edit the files on sony vegas, then I'll buy the Zi8. But if not, I may just stick to the ZX5 when it comes out over here.

The flip 3rd generation is so blurry in all the videos I've seen on youtube so far, and the reviews on amazon look pretty suspicious.
IanStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2011, 6:47 AM   #38

your Inquerry is shy ofsome information

Sony Vegas what? there are more than ONE

Exactly what cam are you after
you mention

ZI10
zi8
zx-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanStewart View Post
Hey fishycomics, have you been commenting on chrisc74's videos about the zx5? I just found these forums, I really them.

But i am having my doubts about the ZX5 now. I really want to get the Zi8, but the .mov format really puts me off. Can they be edited in sony vegas? I heard that if you downloaded the latest quicktime player with sony vegas 10, then they edit fine, but I wanted to know from someone who has been using the Zi8.

If I can edit the files on sony vegas, then I'll buy the Zi8. But if not, I may just stick to the ZX5 when it comes out over here.

The flip 3rd generation is so blurry in all the videos I've seen on youtube so far, and the reviews on amazon look pretty suspicious.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 9:22 AM   #39

Have tried the zx5 in store, very good. At last kodak has the right mix of features. But the puny sensor chip stopped me looking at it until now, it also presents some problems. The camera features were mimalistic but at last nice enough (though does it has focus exposure lock buttons controls). The noise level hower was to high on the sesor when pointed at a dim room, I would guess more or as much as the zx3, latitude also suffered a fair bit. There is much better sensor technology available and an advertisable feature benefit.

Personally I would prefer bigger better 2/3rd inch chips at least 1/2, for the new super hd generation of video and tv's. As it is even the old bigger size was not enough.

As for the current issue, it should be possible to make an af lens with fixed mode.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:07 AM   #40

Yeah, why I would not dump any more dough to Kodak, tehy should offer a trade ./

Af lock is Key. for When now I fly a rc plane Blur/focus/Blur. sensor not big enough