Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:03 AM   #41

Could be done by firmware action assigned to key press and hold, easy. Sensor not so easy sony pulls ahead , cheap sensor makers need to catch up good tech wide dynamic range BSI sensors etc.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:13 AM   #42

yep a mater of shutting the Motor Off.
Old May 25, 2011, 5:51 AM   #43

Could really do with some help here.

I've purchased a Kodak Zx5 which is an amazing little camera. I've tested it out at HDV 1080p 30 fps and the results are amazing on my 40" Sony TV using the HDMI cable supplied.

So far so good.

Now I wish to transfer the clips to DVD and/or edit the clips and have tried the Arcsoft MediaImpressions software that came with the camera. Just a simple joining up the clips and transferring onto DVD. The results through the TV are appalling. The picture is juddery and very poor quality. The picture is also small within a huge black border.

I then tried to use the clips with Adobe Premier Pro. I can imprt the clips (.MP4 video) and Adobe will import them but when I try viewing them through the editor the pictures are very jumpy. I have ignored this and tried to export a set of clips to an .avi file but again the picture is poor and the picture jumps.

Can anyone help me out here?

I have used Adobe Premier Pro for editing film from my Canon camcorder which uses Mini DV tape and all is fine. I'm guessing the problem seems to stem from the HD .MP4 video compression which the Zx5 uses.
Albertstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 2:08 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertstan View Post
I've purchased a Kodak Zx5 which is an amazing little camera. I've tested it out at HDV 1080p 30 fps and the results are amazing on my 40" Sony TV using the HDMI cable supplied.
So far so good.
Now I wish to transfer the clips to DVD
You might try a short trial clip of a few seconds/minutes depending on your patience.

First a caveat -
you should note that although we tend to think of DVDs as the "best" quality video
(this is no longer the case since HDTV and BluRay discs)
because DVD specs/standard for NTSC (link to Wikipedia) is only 720x480 -
and all the video record modes on your new Zx5 exceed that -
so even if you record only at the lowest humble WVGA (848x480)
this is more than adequate for a good DVD -
and probably will be indistinguishable from one recorded at the best 1080p, once on a video DVD.
Because NTSC video DVDs for your home player are only 720x480.

To convert your video to files burnable to a DVD -
I use a really good Freeware program called DVD Flick -
but the older/immediate previous version 1.3.0.6.

That is why I suggested a short clip to try -
just record yourself a short clip -
that hopefully will reveal any problems in conversion -
I really would not do more than about 2-3 minutes for a trial.

Then simply use DVD Flick to convert it into DVD burnable file -
and play the result with Windows Media Player to see if it is OK.

If it is, then do your real editing adding titles etc -
check the result is OK -
then use DVD Flick to do the DVD conversion?

Last edited by UnknownVT; May 25, 2011 at 2:19 PM.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 3:24 PM   #45

Yeah. I take the disk I made to a store and go for it on those Big HDTV's even the cam.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:26 AM   #46

I bought a second camera zx5, first I drowned on holiday in Greece, during the descent to the bottom, accidentally opened the door and the camera got salt water. My video from the scene http://arthur.winlink.ru/video/zx5.mp4 few days it did not work, I started to blow dry, after which she was involved, but the battery is not charged. More than 10 days, so it will not work. I bought a new camera the same. Then I made out my old camera, wash and degrease it work again, pulled down photos of the camera http://arthur.winlink.ru/printscreen/IMG_8089.JPG http://arthur.winlink.ru/printscreen/IMG_8092.JPG http: / / arthur.winlink.ru/printscreen/IMG_8094.JPG I live in Russia in St. Petersburg, we have this camera worth $ 250
art.spb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:55 AM   #47
Administrator

Hey art.spb

Welcome to Steve's, and I'm sorry to hear about your problems. But, you will probably need a water proof camera for use in harsher environments. For example, an Olympus Touch Series camera or similar (designed to be waterproof and shock resistant).

Note that we'd prefer that members stick to using English in posts, as our moderators do not speak most other languages. Thanks.

Here's your post translated by Google Translate:

Quote:
I bought a second camera ZX5, at first I was drowned on holiday in Greece, during the descent to the bottom, accidentally opened the door and the camera got salt water. My video from the scene http://arthur.winlink.ru/video/zx5.mp4 few days it did not work, I started to blow dry, after which she participated, but the battery is not charged. More than 10 days, so it will not work. I bought a new camera, the same thing. Then I did my old camera, wash and degrease it to work again, pulled down photos of the camera http://arthur.winlink.ru/printscreen/IMG_8089.JPG http://arthur.winlink.ru/printscreen/IMG_8092.JPG http:/ / arthur.winlink.ru/printscreen/IMG_8094.JPG I live in Russia in St. Petersburg, we've got this camera costs $ 250
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 7:41 AM   #48

just bought a CLEARANCE ZX3 camera... does one really think the ZX5 is better? I see the ZX5 shoots in 1080P60 and the ZX3 doesnt (I always use my tm700 in 1080P60)...

Basically I am asking... it worth $30 more to get a ZX5 over ZX3 and why or why not?
dahauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:44 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahauss View Post
just bought a CLEARANCE ZX3 camera... does one really think the ZX5 is better? I see the ZX5 shoots in 1080P60 and the ZX3 doesnt (I always use my tm700 in 1080P60)...

Basically I am asking... it worth $30 more to get a ZX5 over ZX3 and why or why not?
The Kodak ZX-5 is not a Hd1080P60F cam. it is a HD1080P30F cam. The Af (autofocus wil be a issue with low level lighting
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:12 PM   #50

I am returning my ZX3 camera because it appeared to DROP frames at 720P 60 and actually record video in double speed (with audio at normal speed) and the audio was horrible when there was a LOT of BASS. Now, Im looking at the ZX5 which I can get for the same price as the ZX3 I am returning. HOWEVER, you CANT change the battery in the unit.. For anyone who has one, how is the battery life and is this a major concern? also how is the audio compared to the ZX3 ?
dahauss is offline   Reply With Quote