Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 11, 2011, 3:40 PM   #51

As we are the Gunea Pigs of these Pc low Budget Economy Hybrid camcorder's.

The Kodak Zi8, Zx-3, Playtouch,Zx5, all have just about the same sound, Mono sound that is.

No matter How Loud the palce you're in, there is a Limitor, that lowers , so no distortion occurres. The Kodak has that bassy side vs a tinny side. And a few models has the External mic port in stereo. not many copanies and cams do that?

You as well ahve the extra option to Lower the level of internal & external mic level, how many cams as well do that.

Now that you found that the Zx3, was it that Refurbbed model, or was brand new, that given you issues?

I do not think you will get a better sound because it is a better model, but you will get a quicker pick up of sound from underwater to above water.

The Zi8 compared to the Playtouch, the zi8 is the stronger cam in mic, while the zi10/playtouch is natural sounding. go figure , cannot have both worlds.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 3:56 PM   #52

the ZX3 was a store display model. at the show I was at on Tuesday the sound didnt distort buy every time there was a LOT of bass, you could hear it overdrive or lower the sound way too much even when I lowered the mic level on the camera...

the ZX5 appears to have a different looking mic next to the lens...

what is your opinion on not having a changeable battery? I saw an AA battery charger for the camera for $20
dahauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:23 PM   #53

no matter how high/low the mic is placed, the cam will reach a limit, and that is where the cam is doing what it issupposed to do stop distortion.

For the Internal battery they claime over a hour, and under 2hr plus, but each person uses a camera differently zoom in/out leave on/off, record Hd or low def. etc.. will all vary, especially with screen at highest brightness e tc, etc..

For AA battery syse. this is not a AA battery camera. this is a Lipo battery. If the cam has a external port for usb charging, which it does. you have that option to extend battery life of the cam, like I did with the otehr cams I owned the kodak zi8, zx3, and playtouch. other companies will bypas the plug port, go figure.

I try notto worry bout the little things.

But I do not care for a AF no optical lens cam sorry. Kodak could have offered 5x optical zoom yet hey do not.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:30 PM   #54

I know its not an AA camera BUT there is an external pack that says it can power or charge the battery with 4 AA batteries and also another battery that can power or charge it as well (rechargeable too).

I will post some video in the next day or two so you can see what I mean by distorted sound.....

Im of to get the ZX5 to see how it works.. I too would like optical zoom but for $109 and to put the camera in my pocket and that its waterproof, thats not bad at all. cant find anything else with the features. I have a PRO 3MOS camera when I need that kind of quality.....
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:42 PM   #55

I totally agree with you.

Th Ext bat tpack yes is a 4.8-5.0/6.0vdc system that will allow extended battery time by 2.5x max.

I have gone on vacation, the kodak Zi8, to WDW disney, shot footage all day, I had the kodak battery in, shot footage, and allowed kodak bat tto recharge. I was able to get 2 full charges, and a final 1/2 charge. rathr allow it to charge I kept it plugged in and gotten a equal amount of time,when the battery started to really get low while in the off it will charge but not run the cam.

So Yes it was a great investment. I believe what I got was called a Zap it all usb port 4aa.

At night I charged the kodak, and 4aa. I always carried 2 spare kodaks, and a spare 4aa for safety, more than I ver needed for a full day, but not when I had to replace and recharge all night LOL, waking up every 4 hours to replace .

For `00.00 ther is not much to choose from, but RCA, and GE makes a waterproof cam as well. good luck, til lyou find your cam.

For I am happy I love my Playsport, and goes underwater, as well the kodak zi8, I still use them, but for now I use my Sony HX9v LOL
Old Aug 11, 2011, 5:37 PM   #56

Sale is on at bestbuy. glad I held strong not to get, but hey the flip is awefully low 50.00 I do not think it will ever get lower than that. a case and its waterproof lol.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:53 AM   #57

Question - on my 3MOS camera (Paasonic) I ALWAYS shoot at 1080p60 ... its looks the best for motion (IE dancing, concerts etc).. now with the ZX5, should I shoot in 720P60 all the time or the 1080P30? AND ... if I am shooting at 720P60, is there a noticeable difference n quality in the ZX5 vs shooting in the 1080 mode? I noticed it takes up the same amount of storage but if the 1080 doesnt look any better then the 720 from this camera I will stick at 720P60 since can get less blurry shots with more frames..
Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:56 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Sale is on at bestbuy. glad I held strong not to get, but hey the flip is awefully low 50.00 I do not think it will ever get lower than that. a case and its waterproof lol.
the ZX5 is $109+TAX at WALMART.. I picked one up and returned my ZX3 which was a store demo ($99 + tax) and I think has issues since, as I said, I recorded lots of clips from a concert at 720P60 and some of them run with the video at double speed and audio normal.. I hope the BRAND NEW ZX5 doesnt do that. All of this to get a pocket camera for times when I dont want to carry my big 3MOS camera...
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:20 AM   #59

Looks like others have the same issue with the video speed up on the ZX3 that I returned.. and MAYBE the ZX5 too.. I just updated to the latest 1.06 firmware and hope it solves the issue but some people said it didnt...

see this link and watch the video and comments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfAbPjtuKJU
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:19 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahauss View Post
Looks like others have the same issue with the video speed up on the ZX3 that I returned.. and MAYBE the ZX5 too.. I just updated to the latest 1.06 firmware and hope it solves the issue but some people said it didnt...

see this link and watch the video and comments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfAbPjtuKJU
OUCH!

that I have not a issue. more like they placed playback 2x into record 2x. I go with a trusted company.