Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:48 PM   #1

Default new Kodak Playsport Zx5?

Anyone with more info or comments on
KODAK PLAYSPORT Video Camera / Zx5?

The link is to Kodak.com

The Zx5 is claimed to be
waterproof to 10ft,
shockproof drop at 5ft onto plywood
and dustproof.

However the older Zx3 is already waterproof to the same 10ft depth -
the Zx3 is advertised as "rugged" and somewhere on the web said it survived drops at 4ft (actually even shoulder height) - refs:

Crutchfield's page on the Zx3 says: " rugged design withstands falls from up to 4 feet " and " The Kodak PlaySport features a rugged, shock-resistant design, so you can take it along on your next rock climbing or snowboarding trip. "
Switched.com Zx3 review: " With nothing more than cosmetic damage, the Zx3 survived our ruggedness test, which consisted of dropping it from shoulder height to a dirt surface and then to a sidewalk, and stepping (but not stomping) on it. "

and if a camcorder is waterproof it should be dustproof as well
(unless if one opens any doors the Zx5 blows air out! )

Comparing the specs on the link above for the Zx5 and
KODAK PLAYSPORT Video Camera Zx3, HD Waterproof Mini Pocket
most of the specs look the same -
but:

Zx5: Sensor type 1 / 3.2–type 5 MP CMOS
Zx3: Sensor type 1 / 2.5–type 5 MP CMOS

the Zx5 sensor is smaller so the pixel elements/sites will be smaller - in theory at least this means the that it will have worse signal to noise ratio - ie: in theory noisier.

Zx5: Display size 2.0 in. 154K TFT color LCD, 4:3, auto brightness control, LCD Glare Shield
Zx3 (not on the web page, but from the pdf manual): LCD—5 cm (2 in.); 154K pixels - LCD Glare Shield—Turn on to improve LCD viewability in bright, outdoor conditions.
Looks like the displays are the same except the Zx5 has auto brightness control

Zx5: Power internal Li-Ion battery (service replaceable), in-camera charging
Zx3: Power KODAK Li-Ion Rechargeable Digital Camera Battery KLIC-7004, AC Adapter

Arrrgh! the Zx5's battery is internal and non-user removable - this can potentially be a BIG disadvantage - since out in the field without a nearby AC power source when the battery runs down - there is no way to continue on the Zx5 - whereas with the Zx3 one can just change the battery.

Last edited by UnknownVT; Mar 5, 2011 at 12:44 PM.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2011, 6:39 AM   #2

great observation thjere Vincent.

go to youtube, the videos been there for over amonths time from people. remember no kodak was ever released to any public, if you see them before the releasedate these people may be inhouse. but if you see it within a week or two, then its releasing.

Wouldn't 1/3 be smaller than 1/2, and 1/2 smaller than 3/4 LOL. Hey wait a sec, then the Kodak zi8 is 1/2.5

there are tons mor controls wit hte zx-5.

do not tell anyone

Kodak Playsport ZX-7 touchscreen in the release.

How do we know, just wait. rumors have it ......

internal battery, external battery pack takes care of int battery.
but up to 40.00 replacement , I save my dough, and get 12 batterries. LOL.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 12:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post

Wouldn't 1/3 be smaller than 1/2, and 1/2 smaller than 3/4 LOL. Hey wait a sec, then the Kodak zi8 is 1/2.5

there are tons mor controls wit hte zx-5.
Yes, the new Zx5 has a smaller sized sensor than the older Zx3 -
so in theory the new Zx5 with the smaller pixel elements/sites may be noisier than the Zx3 or Zi8....

I forgot to mention that the Zx5 now has a macro mode - which the older Zx3 does not have (but the Zi8 does, and the new Zx5, like the Zx3, still does not have external mic jacks).

The other thing is the lens -
Zx5: Lens 5.5 mm, 35 mm equivalent
(my note: the 35mm equivalents are missing from the spec)
Zx3: Lens 5.54 mm, 35 mm equivalent
* 48 mm @ 1080p
* 36 mm @ 720p
* 36 mm @ WVGA
* 36 mm still capture

Although the Zx5's lens is almost the same focal length as the Zx3 - because the Zx5 has a smaller sensor the focal length is relatively longer than the same lens on the older Zx3 (bigger sensor), which probably means the new Zx5 view is narrower -

just as
Zi8: Lens 6.3 mm, f/2.8, fixed focus
35 mm equivalent: 61 mm (1080p), 46 mm (720p/60 fps, 720p, WVGA), 42 mm (still)
has a 6.3mm lens on the same sized sensor as the Zx3 and has longer 35mm equivlants focal lengths - and narrower views than the Zx3.

Quote:
internal battery, external battery pack takes care of int battery.
but up to 40.00 replacement , I save my dough, and get 12 batterries. LOL.
Yes, an external battery pack could solve the problem when videoing away from an AC power source - but those are not cheap - and like you I'd much prefer to be able to change the battery when one runs out.......

Quote:
do not tell anyone

Kodak Playsport ZX-7 touchscreen in the release.

How do we know, just wait. rumors have it ......
Ha-ha-ha!

I promise not to tell a soul
Old Mar 5, 2011, 4:10 PM   #4

the zx-5 has not just a macro mode it has a auto fixed focus macro. and thats cool. Battery external pack again plug and go, but a years shooting a battry failure . I agree with ya 100%
Old Mar 5, 2011, 4:19 PM   #5

Quote:
the zx-5 has not just a macro mode it has a auto fixed focus macro. and thats cool.
Thanks.

But you may have to please explain that -
I know Auto-Focus and Fixed Focus -
for example we know that the Zx3 and Zi8 both have fixed focus lenses -
but what is "auto fixed focus" - that seems to be self-contradictory ?
if a lens is fixed focus it means the lens focus is fixed and does not vary in focus -
macro mode is achieved by probably changing the lens to sensor distance or sliding in another lens element (like a close-up lens) - but even then the focus is still fixed to a fixed (close) distance and not variable.

Thanks,
Old Mar 5, 2011, 4:47 PM   #6

This is a pretty cool video - showing the new Kodak Playsport Zx5 surviving drops at 55ft, and then 100ft down a stairwell

Kodak: Plugged In - PlaySport Zx5 (2nd generation) Video Camera

Now that's what I call impressive -
just wish one could change the battery!

- and it looks like even throwing it 100ft down the stairwell will not open it to get at the battery!!!!

Last edited by UnknownVT; Mar 6, 2011 at 2:47 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 6:31 PM   #7

Wish I could I am no pro. The Macro will move from example 1 inch distance to 8 inch distance and focus, amy be a lens and motor on front of the fixed lens, or its eletronic the fixed focus, in macro is using digital zoom. making it auto focus.. I am guessing

the Killer is Here Kodak made a Electronic macro, and no one Picked up on it I am laughing ,what I have placed on a list of corrections, as well as others, tehy heard us and are placing our Ideas, with theirs together. all I wish for is a fisheye built in lol.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 2:44 PM   #8

The new Kodak Playsport Zx5 actually has credentials
from KODAK PLAYSPORT Video Camera / Zx5:

waterproof—IEC 60529 IPX8, up to 10 ft
dustproof—IEC 60529 IP6X
shockproof—MIL-STD-810F, 5 ft. onto plywood

Another thing I noticed was searching on YouTube by most recent videos on the Zx5 was that there were numerous very short (few seconds) videos that used the Zx5 share feature - looking at the same Kodak page -

Quote:
The world’s only cameras with 3-step sharing!

Kodak’s Share button makes sharing your videos and pictures as simple as 1, 2, 3.

* Step 1—Just press Share when in review mode
* Step 2—Choose your favorite sharing destination, e-mail address, or KODAK PULSE Display
* Step 3—Connect your camera to your computer or insert your memory card and your videos or pictures are automatically uploaded to the destination(s)

Only KODAK Cameras:

* Let you simultaneously share to multiple social networks, e-mail and PULSE Display
* Automatically share when you connect to a PC
* Tag to the largest number of social networks: KODAK Gallery, YouTube, FACEBOOK, FLICKR, TWITTER, ORKUT, YANDEX, and KAIXIN001
I think this may be software that detects the Zx5 connection to one's computer and uploads the selected video to the selected destination - using the computer's internet connection -
and not as my overly optimistic wild fantasy/wishful thinking -
the Zx5 had a wireless connect-ability so one can just send/upload videos directly from the Zx5....
Old Mar 6, 2011, 3:38 PM   #9

Share feature is just one less step you do. I preferre to correctly add my titles inn lol

9 foot 6 inchs, a depth of 20 feet bye bye seals start leaking.

if this was waterproof, then we have a sealed cam with internal memory 8 gig and internal battery 30 foot depth.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 3:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Share feature is just one less step you do. I preferre to correctly add my titles inn lol

9 foot 6 inchs, a depth of 20 feet bye bye seals start leaking.

if this was waterproof, then we have a sealed cam with internal memory 8 gig and internal battery 30 foot depth.
I'm pretty much in agreement regarding the share feature - it is useful for those who do not want to have to set up their own connections etc.

But for me it isn't really that hard -
and as you say, I much prefer to edit my stuff first before uploading.

Waterproof - up to 10 ft - which is the same as that claimed for the older Playsport Zx3 (but without that IEC spec/credentials).

10ft is still very useful - as most swimming pools do not exceed that, and at a mere 10ft depth one's ears do pop - most snorkeling is done at less than 10ft depth (?) - so it is a pretty respectable depth - even if it is not really a diving camera - I mean the new Zx5 and the older Zx3 are the only pocket HD camcorders I know that are truly waterproof.

Last edited by UnknownVT; Mar 6, 2011 at 5:19 PM.