Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:53 AM   #1

Default Sony Bloggie Touch

I bought the Sony Bloggie Touch over the weekend---I had a $75 gift card to Best Buy that I wanted to use and I got them to match another offer from Sony Style ($149.00)--so it was a good deal for me. That said, I think the Sony Bloggie Touch leaves a LOT to be desired. I just going to give a quick review for the heck of it. First off, I loved the look and feel of the device. The brushed metal and chrome in a small form factor felt substantial and expensive. The capacitative touch screen was responsive and the camera turned on and was shooting within 2 seconds. In addition, although the camera shoots in mono, the sound quality was surprisingly good. Voices were natural and even when using in windy conditions, I didn't really have a problem with the audio tracks. NO COMPLAINTS THERE!

Unfortunately, the actualy video performance was a major let down. Other than setting the video and photo qualities (720p at 30fps, 720p at 60fps and 1080p at 30fps), there were no other settings to play with. Sony was definitely trying to steal a page from Flip when they designed the Bloggie Touch. Unfortunately, the Bloggie's actual video quality was poor, in my opinion. I am not sure what PC Mag was thinking when they gave this camera an editor's choice award--must have been determined by a Sony fanboy. All of the video seems to be over exposed-with the colors blown out. The images also lacked detail--except when the camera was in macro mode. I can attribute most of these problems to the camera's abysmal implementation of autofocus. Once the camera locked on to a subject, the image is actually quite good... unfortunately, the camera is out of focus 70% of the time (or so it seems). Once the camera has a lock and it moves, the focal point changes and the camera's laggy auto focus kicks in taking a second or two to adjust. This doesn't seem like much--and it's tolerable if your standing completely still and not moving the camera at all. Once the camera is moving---and by moving I mean simple panning--the autofocus can't get a lock on a subject and the video is one big blur. I found this to be the case even in outdoor daytime shooting with the sun to my back. In indoor shooting, the problems get worse. Lowlight conditions wreck havoc on the autofocus causing images to blur. The camera also has a tiny lens, so all of the images looks noisy and pixilated.

I will be returning the Bloggie Touch this week and going with something different (hopefully better). Fishy, thanks for the post on the Sanyo Xacti vpd-pd2. For $90.00, some of its flaws seem a lot more liveable.
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by set2374 View Post
I bought the Sony Bloggie Touch over the weekend---I had a $75 gift card to Best Buy that I wanted to use and I got them to match another offer from Sony Style ($149.00)--so it was a good deal for me. That said, I think the Sony Bloggie Touch leaves a LOT to be desired. I just going to give a quick review for the heck of it. First off, I loved the look and feel of the device. The brushed metal and chrome in a small form factor felt substantial and expensive. The capacitative touch screen was responsive and the camera turned on and was shooting within 2 seconds. In addition, although the camera shoots in mono, the sound quality was surprisingly good. Voices were natural and even when using in windy conditions, I didn't really have a problem with the audio tracks. NO COMPLAINTS THERE!

Unfortunately, the actualy video performance was a major let down. Other than setting the video and photo qualities (720p at 30fps, 720p at 60fps and 1080p at 30fps), there were no other settings to play with. Sony was definitely trying to steal a page from Flip when they designed the Bloggie Touch. Unfortunately, the Bloggie's actual video quality was poor, in my opinion. I am not sure what PC Mag was thinking when they gave this camera an editor's choice award--must have been determined by a Sony fanboy. All of the video seems to be over exposed-with the colors blown out. The images also lacked detail--except when the camera was in macro mode. I can attribute most of these problems to the camera's abysmal implementation of autofocus. Once the camera locked on to a subject, the image is actually quite good... unfortunately, the camera is out of focus 70% of the time (or so it seems). Once the camera has a lock and it moves, the focal point changes and the camera's laggy auto focus kicks in taking a second or two to adjust. This doesn't seem like much--and it's tolerable if your standing completely still and not moving the camera at all. Once the camera is moving---and by moving I mean simple panning--the autofocus can't get a lock on a subject and the video is one big blur. I found this to be the case even in outdoor daytime shooting with the sun to my back. In indoor shooting, the problems get worse. Lowlight conditions wreck havoc on the autofocus causing images to blur. The camera also has a tiny lens, so all of the images looks noisy and pixilated.

I will be returning the Bloggie Touch this week and going with something different (hopefully better). Fishy, thanks for the post on the Sanyo Xacti vpd-pd2. For $90.00, some of its flaws seem a lot more liveable.

I agree, Sony Bloggie touch left much to be desired. I also hated the fact you had to hold it like a camera to take widescreen videos. But I did get mines for free from sony using a bonus rewards promotion they had so for a free product it's great. It's too bad your card is only Best Buy, otherwise I'd go for some of the Sanyo CS of GH series, they are great and low price. (don't seem to be available through Best Buy) I have the PD2, video quality reminds me of the Bloggie touch, only with optical zoom and flash, but I was disappointed in video and image quality in low light and how when you zoom, you can hear the motor and it mutes the audio. Not Sanyo's best effort, wouldn't pay more than $80.
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:33 PM   #3

169.00 taken down to 99, now 89.99 but till after you finish 103.04 cetns its a great can explosive stereo sound
Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:57 PM   #4

I am going to be returning the Bloggie this week--I will find something else to buy with my gift card (I am really not a best buy fan though). I may still go for one of the CG or GH xacti's. I have seen some really nice pictures from the GH2. I saw they had it on clearance at radio shack for $165.00. I was thinking of picking it up and giving it a try--provided they don't have a restocking charge. I was checking out some test footage from the Canon Vixia HF R100--that I found for $215.00. I have always liked canon products, but the test footage on the R100 didn't really blow me a way. One thing I did learn from my experience with the Sony is that the picture quality on youtube was not far off from what I saw when I hooked the camera up the TV via HDMI. Youtube seems to be a reasonably reliable evaluation tool.

I also have a new found appreciation for my Canon Vixia HG10. The picture quality is truly "BluRay"---it pops on the TV. Color accuracy is terrific, even in low light and there is no noise at all. It has a nice size lens and a large sensor, but only 3 megapixels. I happen to think that works best for a camcorder--it seems like the larger megapixel sensors seem to create more noise on many of these cameras--or they bump up the filters to reduce the noice and artifacting and you get a really soft image.

Radio Shack has the Sanyo Xacti GH2 on clearance for $165.00. Provided they don't charge a restocking fee, I might pick it up and give it a test run.
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote