Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by set2374 View Post
I buy refurbished all the time, particularly from amazon.
Amazon are very good regarding purchases -
seems to have very good buyers' returns/refund.

My Kodak PlaySport Zx3 was used "Like New" from Amazon Warehouse deals - and was "Like New" -

My Kodak Zi8 was Kodak re-certified refurbished from Amazon Marketplace/Adorama - I had problems with the first one and both Amazon and Adorama couldn't have been better in inspiring confidence
- that's the true mark of a good vendor - is how they behave when something goes wrong.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:57 AM   #12

I agree 100%. Amazon is always terrific when it comes to returns. I have made hundreds of purchases with hardly any issues... when they do come up, customer service is excellent and the problems are satisfactorily resolved.

My JVC purchase through newegg is a bit unusual for me. I would ordinarily spend a little more to buy through Amazon, but the $124.99 price was too good to pass up. That's $75-85 less than Amazon (which is a huge percentage on a lower priced item). I have never had a problem with Newegg in the past, so I think it's worth taking a chance. It also appears that the cameras is being sold as "Recertified", not refurbished. I am not exactly sure what the difference is, but my guess is that it was a returned item or open box that can't be sold as new. Since they are clearing inventory for the 2011 models and new HM300's are going for $200-210, they are knocking 40% off the "Recertified" offerings. I expect that the camera will be quite satisfactory. I did spring for the 1 year recertified warranty--which means if there is something goes wrong with the camera for the 1 year period following the expiration of the manufacturer's warranty, they send me a replacement camcorder which would be the same or an equivalent model. Normally, I don't spring for extended warranties, but since this one was only $16 and the replacement cost for an equivalent would likely be a lot higher than my initial purchase price, this seemed like a good time to make an exception.

I am actually not sure what the manufacturers warranty is on this camcorder. Assuming it is not a refurb (which I don't believe it is), it should be the manufacturers standard 1 year limited warranty. Things to ponder while waiting for me new camcorder to arrive.
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 2:46 PM   #13

Quote:
My JVC purchase through newegg is a bit unusual for me. I would ordinarily spend a little more to buy through Amazon, but the $124.99 price was too good to pass up. That's $75-85 less than Amazon (which is a huge percentage on a lower priced item). I have never had a problem with Newegg in the past, so I think it's worth taking a chance. It also appears that the cameras is being sold as "Recertified", not refurbished. I am not exactly sure what the difference is, but my guess is that it was a returned item or open box that can't be sold as new.
Newegg is one of the consistent top rated vendors on resellerRatings.com -
their return policy is also really good (I might even hazard "better" than Amazon) - especially if the contact is made by their 800 phone #.

If the item is faulty - they will pay for return shipping (prepaid shipping label) - and sometimes if the items is low priced enough they trust you, and didn't even require its return.

My take on re-certified - usually means that it has gone through some form of QC to ensure it is fully functional - which is actually more than most brand new items go through. It may or may not have had repairs - although then it may have to be labeled as refurbished?

On Amazon one MarketPlace vendor makes a big point about being re-certified with non-defective history - " This is a genuine Kodak certified inspected Class 1 unit (non-defective history) " - which may mean it was either an open box (demo?) or return that was not faulty on inspection.

However re-certified or refurbished - they are supposed to have passed inspection - often by the manufacturer - so often "better" than brand new - since they are supposed to have gone through operational QC.

Having said that I bought a Kodak Zi8 re-certified refurbished by Kodak (as mentioned above) and found that the the red button/track pointer would not navigate downward - so I could zoom in but not back out, I could increase the volume of the playback but not back it down if too loud - I was incredulous that anyone with an ounce of sense could have possibly missed that fault - so much for Kodak's QC and re-certification - so I guess it really depends on the manufacturer and/or what day of the week or which person did the QC - for re-certification to be worth anything -

But the mere thought that one's unit has gone through any form of re-certification inspection may be more reassuring than a new unopened box where the QC is probably to glance at the item in its sealed bag doesn't have a big ding or scratch on it? .
Old Apr 6, 2011, 7:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownVT View Post
Newegg is one of the consistent top rated vendors on resellerRatings.com -
their return policy is also really good (I might even hazard "better" than Amazon) - especially if the contact is made by their 800 phone #.
funny enough, you cant return this camcorder if you dont like it. there is only an exchange policy if you get a dud, no refund
qv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by qv98 View Post
funny enough, you cant return this camcorder if you dont like it. there is only an exchange policy if you get a dud, no refund
I guess I got lucky because I have been playing with the camera and it's great so far. Far better than I could wish for a $125 camera. I am impressed. It's not on the level of my canon HG10, but it's way better than anything I have seen that is available under $300.... Including the canon vixia R100,
(which you can find for around $250). Here's a link to some sample footage I just posted to YouTube:
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by qv98 View Post
I guess I got lucky because I have been playing with the camera and it's great so far. Far better than I could wish for a $125 camera. I am impressed. It's not on the level of my canon HG10, but it's way better than anything I have seen that is available under $300.... Including the canon vixia R100,
(which you can find for around $250). Here's a link to some sample footage I just posted to YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2sJffcbeME

Last edited by set2374; Apr 6, 2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 4:26 AM   #17

They got you trapped in love the footage ,
Old Apr 7, 2011, 7:14 AM   #18

Thanks fishy. I appreciate the encouragement.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 11:53 AM   #19

I am sure many years of enjoyment from a device. man I should just go back to my Mustek dv3000, I loved that cam or the 4500 never a issue.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Here's a link to some sample footage I just posted to YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2sJffcbeME
Nice footage - much better than one would be led to believe reading that very negative review at CNET - makes me wonder what they tested.