Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:43 PM   #1

Default JVC Everio GZ-HM300 for $124.99 from Newegg.Com!

Well, I just ordered a JVC Everio GZ-HM300 from Newegg for $124.99. Now, this is a refurbished unit, but you can get a new one for $200.00. I have never had a problem with refurbs and for a $75.00 savings, I'll take the chance. Plus, I have never had a problem with Newegg--they are pretty reputable. Seriously, though, this is a legitimate $400 camcorder that is marked down because the new models are coming out. The test footage looks leaps and bounds better than anything out there in the sub-$200 category. For $124.99, how can you go wrong. They have a 320 for an extra $25.00--the only difference being that the 320 has 8gb of memory on board. I purchased a Class 10 16gb SDHC card from Newegg for $24.99--so I think the cheaper model is the way to go. Anyway, if anyone is interested, here's the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rio%20GZ-HM300

To illustrate the deal on this camera, here's the same camera from TigerDirect/Circuit City: http://www.compusa.com/applications/...21-105387860-2

I'll post a review after it comes in.

Last edited by set2374; Apr 4, 2011 at 5:48 PM.
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:12 PM   #3

I read the cnet review. Lori Grunin from CNET doesn't have a positive review for anything below the $1000 top models. I looked at the samples on YouTube and they looked great to me. That said, my expectations for a camera that I paid $450 for isn't the same as one that I paid $125 for. For $125 the jvc has to beat a flip, pd2 or bloggie touch. :-). If cnet compared the jvc to the flip and zi8, it would be the best camera they ever saw. It's all a matter of what your comparing it with.

Last edited by set2374; Apr 4, 2011 at 7:16 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:26 PM   #4

i got one myself. i was not blown away by it quality, but itll do the job. the quality isnt near my sony cx110 i had, also i should note the zooming is very loud
qv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by qv98 View Post
i got one myself. i was not blown away by it quality, but itll do the job. the quality isnt near my sony cx110 i had, also i should note the zooming is very loud
Perhaps the jvc isn't the greatest cam in the world, but is it better than a bloggie touch or a flip? For $125 you can't go wrong.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by set2374 View Post
Perhaps the jvc isn't the greatest cam in the world, but is it better than a bloggie touch or a flip? For $125 you can't go wrong.
i think the flip will have better picture quality in lower light
qv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:19 PM   #7

I look back and am looking at my Jvc gr-d395U each day as I can sell sell sell, just not the price I bought it for lol

had a great blast with it and does just fine. dam pc I got no rca ports hey fireqire lol.

would love to show a clip but batts are exhasted . sorry
Old Apr 5, 2011, 4:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by qv98 View Post
i think the flip will have better picture quality in lower light
The Flip does have pretty decent low light performance. I actually think a lot of these cameras look good in low light, since, ironically, they seem to have large sensors--some even backlit. I think my wife will like the Flip, but I think they are a bit overpriced for what they are. I will get a playsport at some point because it will be perfect for shooting at the beach--I am just going to wait until it drops to clearance level pricing.

For vlogging, there's a lot to be said for flips and playsports. It's too bad the bloggie touch didn't work out. If sony could improve the auto-focus, it would be a very good camera. All of these cameras are reasonably are easy to work with--have files that are reasonable for editing and you get decent video and audio out of them--not great, but very watchable--certainly as good as high end SD video from 8-10 years ago. Don't buy one of these cameras expecting that the product is going to look like bluray.

Even though the JVC is technically my birthday present, I am really buying it with the hopes that that my wife likes the size of the jvc and will use it a lot after the baby is born. If she isn't using it, I will have to just stick a flip camera in her pocketbook (and maybe let her customize it through Flip so she feels like it's really hers).
Old Apr 5, 2011, 6:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by set2374 View Post
I will get a playsport at some point because it will be perfect for shooting at the beach--I am just going to wait until it drops to clearance level pricing.
If you're not adverse to buying used "Like New" or refurbished -
then the Kodak PlaySport Zx3 can be had for as low as $80-$90 at places like Amazon - even brand new they can be found for $110 shipped.

and if you want to "customize" the Zx3 -

Page of Zx3 skins

Last edited by UnknownVT; Apr 5, 2011 at 6:58 PM.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownVT View Post
If you're not adverse to buying used "Like New" or refurbished -
then the Kodak PlaySport Zx3 can be had for as low as $80-$90 at places like Amazon - even brand new they can be found for $110 shipped.

and if you want to "customize" the Zx3 -

Page of Zx3 skins
I buy refurbished all the time, particularly from amazon. Thanks for the tip.