Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 13, 2011, 1:24 PM   #11

http://www.macmall.com/p/Cisco-Video...99~pdp.fbiifgc

100.00 go grab one hd720P
Old Apr 13, 2011, 5:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIZnquest View Post
Well other brands do that but the simplicity of not having to do any of that as you described did have some appeal for some. My fiance for one did not want anything to do with what you described but was definitely interested in the Flip. She bought one and loves it. Her needs are fairly simple as the Flip is/was.
If you can work an iPod or iPhone, then you can work a camcorder which has a removable battery, SD card, and normal/macro switch.

And ironically due to the Flip's lack of still photo capability, most people who own them probably also own a digital still camera which has far more complex manual controls and can probably take better quality video than the Flip does!
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 5:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
If you can work an iPod or iPhone, then you can work a camcorder which has a removable battery, SD card, and normal/macro switch.

And ironically due to the Flip's lack of still photo capability, most people who own them probably also own a digital still camera which has far more complex manual controls and can probably take better quality video than the Flip does!
they say "Its Not Rocket science"
Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post

Your dislike is noted but to make a big deal of it when I posted a preference my fiance has I take a bit of exception to that. Believe it or not there are some people that don't care for anything you have just mentioned.
It seems your opinion is the rule of how it is. It is something I don't use or have myself.
Her preference has nothing to do with having the ability. It was all about how simple it is. I already know its shortcomings and pointed it out to her. She uses it and likes it. Bottom line, that's all that really matters.
I guess you have a problem with that too.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:57 PM   #15

I think we can safely say the Flip served it's purpose and that finally there are now better alternatives.

Having said that, the Flip's lack of features was it's asset. We tend to forget on this forum, that the operation of devices tends to come somewhat more naturally to us. What seems 'obvious' and 'easy' to us, is often not so to others. I myself have been guilty of this assumption with people. Most just want to pick up a device and click to record and be done without having to worry if they accidentally touched a setting. If there are no settings, you can't worry about them.

The main problem with the Flip is that it had become overpriced for what it did do, not that it was a bad product. Until recently most cellphones (not to mention pocket cams similar to this) were fixed focus and those that had the better cameras tended to be the more expensive ones requiring a contract and data plan, which is not an insignificant cost.

The iPod Touch 4G (along with the Ipad 2) was no doubt one of the final nails in the coffin of this device. In the case of the Ipod Touch you get a fully functional computer with thousands of apps, as well as a passable camcorder for a similar price and no contract either.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote