Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 12, 2011, 9:30 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,084
Default Cisco Kills Flip Video

http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/12/tech...flip/index.htm

Confirmed this by reading other sources in that they seem to be closing it not selling it. Why didn't they sell it? Were Flip Video Cameras not selling as well as they did?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:57 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/12/tech...flip/index.htm
Confirmed this by reading other sources in that they seem to be closing it not selling it. Why didn't they sell it? Were Flip Video Cameras not selling as well as they did?
According to that CNN report Flip actually made a 15% profit last year -
but it was short of the expected 30% -
man, that is harsh - shows how hard business can be -
to show a profit - but still be shut down.

I agree why didn't CISCO sell Flip?
they originally paid nearly $600 million for it.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 2:15 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownVT View Post
According to that CNN report Flip actually made a 15% profit last year -
but it was short of the expected 30% -
man, that is harsh - shows how hard business can be -
to show a profit - but still be shut down.

I agree why didn't CISCO sell Flip?
they originally paid nearly $600 million for it.
Cisco is using the Flip technology in their consumer and enterprise HD video conferencing systems. I guess they just want the IP rights. I know CNET says this shouldn't come as a surprise, but it sure surprised me. Flip is the benchmark for pocket camcorders. With the rise of HD recording on smartphones, I guess it's inevitable that the pocket camcorder market will be shortlived, but for YouTubers, it's still alive and well. Who wants to toast their cell battery to catch 20 minutes of video???

On the bright side, we should be able to get some left over flips on the cheap in the next couple of months.
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 2:20 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by set2374 View Post
On the bright side, we should be able to get some left over flips on the cheap in the next couple of months.
Or should that be the flip side? Sorry, I just couldn't resist!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 4:50 PM   #5
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,623
Default

Dam what happened to the Cisco Kid
__________________
These are Pc low Budget Economy Hybrid camcorders Great for the Daytime Outdoor shots
Light on the Object video made. No light No Video
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 8:57 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
Or should that be the flip side? Sorry, I just couldn't resist!
Very cute!
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 9:28 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
jdnan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ft. Worth, TX
Posts: 336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Dam what happened to the Cisco Kid
I don't know, but the "Cisco Kid was a friend of mine."
__________________
Jerry
jdnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:15 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 124
Default

Good riddance. Far too many people's videos have been ruined by trying to do close-ups with the Flip's fixed-focus, no-macro-mode lens. The resulting incredibly blurry video is enough to make you go cross-eyed.

And somehow it never occured to the makers of Flip that people might want to have a removable battery and SD card, so that they can continue to take videos after their battery goes dead or their memory gets full...
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:47 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
Good riddance. Far too many people's videos have been ruined by trying to do close-ups with the Flip's fixed-focus, no-macro-mode lens. The resulting incredibly blurry video is enough to make you go cross-eyed.

And somehow it never occured to the makers of Flip that people might want to have a removable battery and SD card, so that they can continue to take videos after their battery goes dead or their memory gets full...
Well other brands do that but the simplicity of not having to do any of that as you described did have some appeal for some. My fiance for one did not want anything to do with what you described but was definitely interested in the Flip. She bought one and loves it. Her needs are fairly simple as the Flip is/was.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:32 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 149
Default

good riddance to non-removable memory and batteries, fixed focus, over priced POS
qv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:37 PM.