Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 20, 2011, 3:48 PM   #1

Default Samsung HMX-W200

Looks like Samsung is following the Kodak's lead once again:

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-hmx...memo-20147286/
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2011, 5:41 PM   #2

I think this is a step above Kodak,.

Paused Recording is deffently a great thing to have ifwe are able to control the file in an ON/Off setting.

With the specs its really hard to see if its HD1080P-WVGA as they show only One

Sure looks like a Kodak LOL.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 1:17 PM   #3

It might be, but I am always reluctant to give a ringing endorsement to samsung cameras and camcorders. I haven't had much luck with them in the past. I'll wait to see the reviews and test footage once the camera is on the market. I still think the Zi8 and Zx3 take the best video for pocket camcorders--although I know you're not happy with Kodak. All those companies offer relatively crappy service.

I had a canon elph for a while. We bought the Canon underwater case for the elph for our honeymoon in Tahiti back in 2006. Of course, three days into the trip, the case leaked in less than a foot of water and that was the end of the camera. We didn't have a backup and had to use a disposable camera the rest of the trip. When we got back home, after hours of fighting with Canon, the best they would do as let us by a refurbished canon elph at a 5% discount. Even though they take great pictures, I made oath to myself never to buy another canon product again (I broke that when I bough the HG10 camcorder--since it was heads and tails above the competition at the time).
Old Apr 22, 2011, 2:45 PM   #4

We went on a Cruise my Father, Mom, and friend a Alaska trip. Memories of a Life time.

During our trip, on the Glaciers, My Canon Elphi II with Kodak Film broke. lucky I had the Olympus D490Z, and a desposable in hand.

Later that Day while relaxed, I purchased a Eye Kit onboard for $2.00. opened the cam, to find out the Film was defective, I writen a letter to Kodak, and never heard since. I wassure I knew how to release the door incase the issue, but had to force off the covering of hte door, so now I have a Useless canon film Elphi II due to Film becoming obsolete.

I will purchase again and all depends on what I am after.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:52 AM   #5

Canon service suck, but it is hard to write them off because their cameras and camcorders are typically very good. I used love minolta (I have an old minolta X700 slr which takes the best 35mm pictures (film)), but they are out of the camera business. I might try olympus for my next point and shoot.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by set2374 View Post
Canon service suck, but it is hard to write them off because their cameras and camcorders are typically very good. I used love minolta (I have an old minolta X700 slr which takes the best 35mm pictures (film)), but they are out of the camera business. I might try olympus for my next point and shoot.
Sony bought out Minolta
(actually Konica first bought Minolta -
then Sony bought the camera part of Konica-Minolta)

Sony dSLRs can take all the old Minolta SLR lenses.

Sony dSLR started shaky -
being much noisier at High ISO than their rivals -
but their current range of dSLRs are now competitively priced and perform pretty well -
so if you have a cache of Minolta lenses, might be worth considering.......
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:48 AM   #7

I have quite a collection of lenses for my minolta X700... but they won't work on any of the Sony's. The minolta X700 was a manual focus only camera. My dad got it back in 1981 and then gave it to me in 1990 when I wanted to learn about photography. It was a GREAT camera to learn on. I can't say I use it much today though. It's big, heavy and slow to snap a picture (by today's standards). Although you can't beat a SLR/DSLR for picture quality and features, I just don't ever see myself carrying around a big bulky camera anymore. These days, I am more interested in videography anyway. It just seems to take me forever to sit down and edit.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 1:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by set2374 View Post
I have quite a collection of lenses for my minolta X700... but they won't work on any of the Sony's. The minolta X700 was a manual focus only camera. My dad got it back in 1981 and then gave it to me in 1990 when I wanted to learn about photography. It was a GREAT camera to learn on. I can't say I use it much today though. It's big, heavy and slow to snap a picture (by today's standards). Although you can't beat a SLR/DSLR for picture quality and features, I just don't ever see myself carrying around a big bulky camera anymore. These days, I am more interested in videography anyway. It just seems to take me forever to sit down and edit.
This may be moot -
but there are mount adapters that will allow Minolta MD (manual focus) lenses to be mounted on Sony dSLRs -
some of the Sony dSLR bodies are pretty small and light in comparison to the older film/non-AF bodies.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 5:44 PM   #9

Hmmmm... interesting... thanks for the info. I'll look into it.