Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 6, 2011, 11:38 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfan23 View Post
Seems like it is sold out, also doesn't take very good stills it seems. Thing I like about the Sanyos is that the newer lines are very tiny and fit snug in your pocket, JVC looks a bit bulky.
I am a bit late in responding, but I just checked on Newegg and they still have the camera in stock at the $124.99 price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-185-_-Product

I have handled both the Sanyo VPC-GH2, VPC-CG120 (basically the same camera with different form factors) and the JVC Everio GZ-HM300 (which I bought). The JVC is SLIGHTLY thicker than the Sanyo GH2 (GH4 is the same form factor)--very slight. Both cameras will fit in your pocket, but neither will fit as comfortably as a Kodak Playtouch.

The still pictures on the JVC and Sanyo are both around equal. The Sanyo has a flash and the JVC doesn't. The flash is nice, but from the sample pictures I saw, low light images are still not that great on the Sanyo (or the JVC). Both cameras produce acceptable low light pictures--but nothing you would print out as an 8x10. To be blunt, neither camcorder is going to replace a dedicated point and shoot.

The video quality is good on both cameras--but better on the JVC IMO. The JVC has a smaller sensor than the Sanyo, but uses a much better and slightly larger Konica-Minolta lens. Never under-estimate the impact on a lens when it comes to image quality. Lots of cameras have high megapixel sensors, but the images look like crap because they are shooting with tiny, cheap lenses. The autofocus on the JVC is also faster and more accurate. The color saturation on both cameras are good. The JVC is a bit more natural looking, compared to the higher contrast look of the Sanyo. You'll have to look at sample footage to see which look you prefer. This is simply a matter of personal taste.

Sound is noticeably better on the JVC. I hate that Sanyo puts the stereo mics on the back of the LCD screen. If you vlog or take funky angles, the sound gets muffled or worse. The JVC has the mics under the lens--where it belongs.

The biggest difference between the JVC and Sanyo is battery life. The Sanyo gets around 40 minutes at 1080p compared to 2 hours on the JVC. That's a huge difference if you're not close to an outlet. For some people, the Sanyo's poor battery life is a deal breaker.

Other differences: the JVC has slots for 2 SDHC cards and will seemlessly switches from Card A to Card B when Card A is full. The Sanyo only has one slot. This really isn't a huge issue, but it's really nice to be able to throw in two 32 gb SDHC cards and have 64gb on hand, rather than have to carry extra cards in a camera bag that can be lost.

In my view, the biggest difference was price. At $124.99 for a as new "recertified" JVC Everio with manufacturer's warranty compared to the CG120/GH2 (both new for around $135-175), I would say the JVC is the better value.

I know you're looking at other models as well. Best thing to do is to check out the video tests on youtube and go down to a dedicated camera store (like a B&H or equivalent) and handle the camera to see which cameras feels most comfortable for you. I have had Sony A330 DSLR and even though it takes superior pictures, I found that I used my canon SD990 or cheapo nikon coolpix most of the time because they take pretty decent pictures and fit in my pocket. Comfort can trump quality if it means you'll actually use the camera more frequently.
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 2:46 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmx View Post
I am looking to buy a cheap video camera, don't want to spend much. My max is $300. Anyways I am a pretty outdoors person and will be shooting alot of action shots. I have been looking at the kodak zx3 and you can get them pretty cheap now or should I get the zx5? I also found the sanyo VPC-GH4 would looks pretty good. Any other recommendations would be helpfull

The Samsung HMX-H300 is an excellent camcorder for $300.00. Here's a video sample I took yesterday at St. Augustine, Florida. The video is in its original RAW MP4 format. It has not been edited or altered in any way, shape or form. I don't know about you, but I think this camera is a winner and the video is excellent for a $300.00 camcorder.

The camera was set to Auto Mode at 720p/60fps.

Original RAW MP4 File Download:

http://dl.dropbox.co...16/HDV_0065.MP4
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 4:36 PM   #33

Last round

kodak zx5 vs samsung hmx q10
acmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 9:06 PM   #34

Last edited by acmx; May 16, 2011 at 5:52 AM. Reason: bought the zx5
acmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 3:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by set2374 View Post
The biggest difference between the JVC and Sanyo is battery life. The Sanyo gets around 40 minutes at 1080p compared to 2 hours on the JVC. That's a huge difference if you're not close to an outlet. For some people, the Sanyo's poor battery life is a deal breaker.
i got the jvc hm300 and the battery life is horrible. im getting 45 minutes with the standard battery. and its impossible to find a replacement battery. i had to buy a generic one off of ebay and its 3x the size of the standard battery, not very portable
qv98 is offline   Reply With Quote