Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 11, 2011, 3:35 PM   #1

Default Looking for great macro mode in HD video

Was wondering if you folks could help with some suggestions for me to research. I am looking for a smaller HD video cam that has a great macro mode. Not really concerned about any other features. Just need good video output, maybe external mic input...but the ability to do really good and really clear macro is a must. I'd like to keep the price around $300 or so, but can go higher if I have to. I need the macro mode as I will be shooting some promotional video of watches and need some really good close up detail on it.

Thanks much for your help!
meijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2011, 4:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by meijin View Post
I am looking for a smaller HD video cam that has a great macro mode. Not really concerned about any other features. Just need good video output, maybe external mic input...but the ability to do really good and really clear macro is a must. I'd like to keep the price around $300 or so, but can go higher if I have to. I need the macro mode as I will be shooting some promotional video of watches and need some really good close up detail on it.
Just a quick reply - I am sure there are other choices which hopefully others will join in to recommend.

Try the Kodak Zi8 - it does some of the best HD video I have seen from any HD pocket camcorder.

Its macro ability is good BUT limited -
it is fixed focus at macro: 15 cm ( ~5.9")

If you can live with that limitation it does a good job -
one of the Zi8's cited advantages is that it has an external stereo mic input - to satisfy your other criteria.

It can be found as low as under $69 shipped re-certified refurbish by Kodak. At that kind of price it's almost worth owning one to play with......

The newer PlayTouch (Zi10) would also fulfill the criteria with the same features - but it is still new - and Kodak are notorious for having early problems - and the PlayTouch Zi10 is not immune.

Nor is the newer Kodak PlaySport Zx5 which has a more versatile AutoFocus in macro for a range of 7–17 cm (~2.75-6.7"), but no external mic input - but may want to consider this because of the versatility of the macro mode.

The hint for macro video is to set the macro mode and make sure the subject is clearly in focus before starting the recording -
videos that are on normal focus then switch to macro while the person hunts for the focus spot always look terrible.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 4:18 PM   #3

It is hard to have a cam so close to the Object for clearity. the zi8 ye is a decent choice, with an added W-67 wide angle lens. the trick to getting macro working that unknown, did not mention,is to Zoom in then switch to macro, you are not allowed to zoom in macro, but that is the trick to zoom in using macro.

Yes you said what is good cam. just one. of the . models.