Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 20, 2011, 12:58 AM   #1

Default Cheap underwater pocket HD cam

Not sure of the model, if anyone has seen this please let me know. This means you Fishy. :P

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/waterpr...aa-2-lcd-59892
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2011, 4:14 PM   #2

apparently no interest....
anyway the the only thing i'm able to find is Newsmy produces mp3/mp4 device. So I can presume that they are new to the camcorder game.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:55 PM   #3

You can buy one of the MD80 clones or the 808 car keys spy cameras and put it inside a sports drink bottle with a watch crystal glued on the cap (with a hole in it) for a window to look out of. For $10 you get 740x480 video (upscaled 640x480) and for $40 you get 1280x720 real HD. If you accidentally get it wet, a hair dryer will fix it (as long as water doesn't get inside the image sensor).
Lurker Unloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 11:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker Unloaded View Post
You can buy one of the MD80 clones or the 808 car keys spy cameras and put it inside a sports drink bottle with a watch crystal glued on the cap (with a hole in it) for a window to look out of. For $10 you get 740x480 video (upscaled 640x480) and for $40 you get 1280x720 real HD. If you accidentally get it wet, a hair dryer will fix it (as long as water doesn't get inside the image sensor).
Well I'm not sure what type of sensor this camcorder has. No one has done any reviews. The description does not say "interpolation" as for 808 camera's they SUCK I have one you get that stupid time log that can't be removed. Also how do you plan to frame the video without a LCD screen or turn it off and on while submerged.
I know this is not a high end item but I would consider this better then those keychain cameras you suggest as a option
Old May 25, 2011, 10:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by garman View Post
Well I'm not sure what type of sensor this camcorder has. No one has done any reviews. The description does not say "interpolation" as for 808 camera's they SUCK I have one you get that stupid time log that can't be removed. Also how do you plan to frame the video without a LCD screen or turn it off and on while submerged.
I know this is not a high end item but I would consider this better then those keychain cameras you suggest as a option
I think your information is outdated regarding the 808 camera. There is a new version which encodes 720P with H.264 encoder. According to the reviews I have found, the new version has the ability to turn the date off and on. Don't take my word for it: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PL2B518B0607E81AA4

The reviewers also have hacked the firmware of the MD80 and the older 808 camera to remove the time stamp. I removed the dates from mine and it does work.

As for a LCD, I don't use one. I operate my camera remotely. I tow it behind a boat, so an LCD is pointless for my use. Plus, if I lose it I am only out $11.

I just noticed that the camera you linked to says "Water Resistant to 3 meters", which makes me concerned that it is a very poor underwater camera that would be useful only in a shallow swimming pool. I have had my homemade camera as deep as 300 feet by pressurizing the bottle with a bicycle pump to 130PSI before submerging.

I think we have different goals. I was just suggesting an alternative.
Lurker Unloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 4:35 AM   #6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3nURfSqRaQ

Enjoy the CLIP
Old May 26, 2011, 2:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Nice video Fishy.

Please tell us which camcorders you used
for the rear facing mount
and for the overall scene and yourself.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 6:26 PM   #8

someone mentions 808 keychain that is it and the Kodak Playtouch
Old May 26, 2011, 9:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
someone mentions 808 keychain that is it and the Kodak Playtouch
Thank you.

The rear facing mount airborne footage was interesting - it's good to have a cheap and light camcorder for such purposes.

The footage of the scene and you - ie: the Kodak PlayTouch
is kind of mixed.

The footage of you holding the RC plane was really nice and crisp - I have to assume mounted (on a tripod) -
however the earlier footage where the camcorder was panned to show the overall scene/area - seemed rather choppy/jerky - why is that?
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 4:52 AM   #10

As I demo many ways of shooting. and I am offtopic.