Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 27, 2011, 12:45 AM   #11

I saw that you posted in the Sony section, so I responded there. That said, I had the Bloggie touch for a couple of days and really didn't care for it. The sensor is find and it is capable of taking good video, provided you have a lot of light. That pinhole lens and big sensor don't play well together in low light conditions. The real problem with the bloggie touch--duo and 3d as well--is not the sensor size, but the horrendously slow autofocus that sony is using. It can't get a lock on a subject. When it gets the scene in focus and you're shooting outside in daylight--everything looks good. Pan the camera an inch or two and you're waiting 4 seconds for the image to focus again. Try walking with the camera of actually using it in a real life situation when you're not standing perfectly still and using a monopod or tripod (especially since it has no image stabilization--save crappy electronic blurring) and you have a recipe for crappy video. For the same money you can get a real camcorder (see my post on the JVC Everio above) or for a few dollars more you can find a very nice point and shoot with 720p video that has optical zoom and optical image stabilization and you'll have a much better camera. If that's not your speed, I would go for a Kodak Zi8 or Zx3 (Playsport--last generation with fixed focus). Fishy is our resident expert on Kodak, so I'll defer to him--although I know he loves his Zi8. (at least I think you still do--even though you are down on Kodak customer service). Anyway, good luck with your choice.
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 4:05 AM   #12

Sanyo xacti PD2 at woot.com man I am again tempted
Old May 27, 2011, 1:23 PM   #13

thanks for your reply set2374. i actually went ahead and bought the bloggie touch last night. you're so right about the focus issue, but i haven't tried it since i updated the firmware (that supposedly helps with the problem) earlier this morning. i'm not really sure how much of a difference a firmware upgrade can actually make in this situation, but i'm hopeful. purchasing from bestbuy i of course have two weeks to decide on it. the samples of the zi8 on this forum's website look really crisp, but the main reason i went with the bloggie was the stabilization. i know it's not a1, but the zi8 has none at all.

i will probably end up exchanging this for the duo before my trial period is up just to try it out, and may just end up exchanging the duo back for the touch, haha (depending on how it performs in the next two weeks). the video quality is impressive, and imo is a step above flip cameras and i really like the fact i haven't seen any rolling shutter jello on a couple of videos i did while walking. as far as the small lens, do you think it totally defeats the point of the 1/2.5 sensor/13 pixels and may just offer the same quality wise as the duo (1/4)? the focus was okay on those too, btw... maybe i just got lucky.

they just don't make products like they used to do they? it seems there's always something wrong or faulty with electronics these days. like i said though, we'll see and thanks again.
diamenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 8:12 AM   #14

The image stabilization on the is digital. Essentially the camera blurs the image to reduce the appearance of movement. It helps a little at the cost of image quality. Honestly, for $200.00 you can get a Sony dsc-wx9 that is a great little camera with a nice lens, great autofocus and shoots much better quality 1080i at 60 frames per second--giving you much smoother results. You also have exposure control, optical zoom, optical image stabilization (which works great), a 920,000 pixel screen and is one of the best point and shoots under $200.00. It also has an exmor r backside illuminated sensor, which is the Sony uses on it's higher end cameras and camcorders, hence the great video quality. Do a google search and check out the reviews. Also check out some on the samples on vimeo and YouTube. I think you'll be much happier.

Check out this sample video: http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=4mswJF29Vgc

Check out this review on the wx9: http://www.digitaltrends.com/digital...sc-wx9-review/

Last edited by set2374; May 28, 2011 at 8:37 AM.
Old May 29, 2011, 12:43 PM   #15

thanks man, i'll def consider it. my eye was set on a bloggie model (and i'm already spending more on that than i had initially planned), so honestly that is prob what i will end up with; but thank you for opening my eyes to more options.
diamenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2011, 7:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamenz View Post
thanks man, i'll def consider it. my eye was set on a bloggie model (and i'm already spending more on that than i had initially planned), so honestly that is prob what i will end up with; but thank you for opening my eyes to more options.
Glad to help. Let us know what you ultimately decide to do. Have fun! By the way, I just posted a video review along with sample pictures and video taking with the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX7V. The HX7V uses the same sensor and processor as the WX9 I was recommending to you. The video quality should be VERY similar in both camers. Here's a link if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTJeWGNj_0I

Last edited by set2374; May 30, 2011 at 3:49 AM.