Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:46 AM   #1

Default kodak zx3 x zx5 x playtouch x sony pm5

Greets Everyone!
Iīm picking up a handcam specifically for:
1) family footage;
2) drum covers

I donīt need a good mic nor external inputs for the drum covers, since iīll be syncing from another recording device.
I know indoors/lowlight will be bad, but i really need a portable device

My questions are:
- Is the Zx3 superior to the Zx5 (no autofocus) ? And how does the playtouch and sony PM5 fare among them?
- Does the kodak remote control sold on amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Remote-C...8753512&sr=8-1 )work on all those models ? The remote could be a real plus, since i woudnīt need to get away from the drumset to set everything up for every new take.

Cost x Beneficit from Amazon:

Zx3: 144$ today, i believe it was ~120$ last week, perhaps price is going up because of low stocks ?
Zx5: 127$ today
Playtouch: 99$ today
Sony PM5: 89$ (violet model), bumped to 99$ last night.

Which should i pick?

Thanks for any input!
PS: english is NOT my native language, so the grammar is probably taking a walk
LemmiNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:52 AM   #2

check for prices at your local region, over here the playtouch was 60, now around 99-119.00, the Zx3 around 85.oo plus the zi8 around 85.00 plus. the sony not a follower.

the remotes will work on all kodaks, the playtouch a few features it will not work on. hope that answered some questions.

which one the ZX-3 I say will do just fine, the extra step be the zi8 or playtouch. good luck again. otehrs will chime in.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 1:07 PM   #3

i have a sony pm5 and will say i was never impressed with its video quality. i recently picked up a kodak zx3 hoping to be blown away by the quality but was left very disappointed, tho it was marginally better then the sony pm5. i have returned it and went back to my sony pm5 since i like its features better

i would stay away from the cams with autofocus
qv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:47 AM   #4

First, our local guru is Fishycomics - so I'd listen to him......
(although I'd stand back as he shouts a lot on his videos...)

Personally (I don't have as much experience as Fishy) -
the best footage I have seen from any pocket HD camcorder comes from the Kodak Zi8 - at under $90 it's a steal.

The Kodak PlaySport Zx3 is said to be a Zi8 in a waterproof more rugged body - in tests it's supposed to be more sensitive in low light - BUT I found it also tends to underexpose under those conditions compared to the Zi8 - ie: the footage tends to be darker than the Zi8 - even if it manages to go to a lower level.

I have both, and I use the Zi8 much more, I did a comparison thread a while back that may help:

Choose: Kodak Zx3 or Zi8?

Both are now discontinued - that's why the refurbished and "Like New" prices are so low (stupidly cheap) - but it seems the Zi8 prices are gradually creeping up - which probably means it's getting more scarce -
so if you want the Zi8 then probably best to buy it asap - before they do become scarce and higher priced.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 6:08 AM   #5

Hey, everyone! Thanks for the input
Unfortunately, local prices are insane (~200$ for those cams).
Zi8 seems to be the go-to model, they are getting really hard to find tho.
About the remote control, it seems that the start/stop recording button works 100%, but it wont power up/shutdown most kodak cameras. Too bad.
LemmiNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmiNg View Post
Unfortunately, local prices are insane (~200$ for those cams).
Zi8 seems to be the go-to model, they are getting really hard to find tho.
Yep Amazon.com Zi8 prices are now high even for refurbish and "Like New" used models.

However the Kodak PlaySport Zx3 can still be found for as low as $64 shipped in those conditions. This may be a good alternative to the Zi8 - since the Zx3 was said to be a Zi8 in a waterproof body......
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 2:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownVT View Post
Yep Amazon.com Zi8 prices are now high even for refurbish and "Like New" used models.

However the Kodak PlaySport Zx3 can still be found for as low as $64 shipped in those conditions. This may be a good alternative to the Zi8 - since the Zx3 was said to be a Zi8 in a waterproof body......
just wondering, but, according to amazon, "like new" cameras are likely those returned new but with packaging that was not in good enough condition to re-sell as new. Will Kodak still honor the 1-year warranty with such purchases?
echonerd is offline   Reply With Quote