Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:58 AM   #1

Default Upgrade to Sanyo HD1000

Short: Looking to upgrade Sanyo HD1000. Should I go Canon VIXIA HF S30 or should I go with Sanyo HD2000?

I have upgraded through several sanyo xacti cameras through the years. It seems a good blend of all around camera for my wife to carry in her purse. The HD1000 was a great upgrade in terms of low light performance. The downside is we dropped in megapixel to 4MP. While pretty good for many situations, I do miss the extra pixels when trying to crop photos. Also, the sanyo has never been great at tracking AF when shooting video.

Looks like Sanyo has bumped MP to 8 on the pistol style xacti. Also, came across Canon HF S30 series which looks nice. Both Models are pricey. Would it be worth $800 to upgrade?

Opinions appreciated,
Hotoru
Hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2011, 7:36 PM   #2

When I was in China last month, the electronics markets were selling the HD1000, but not the higher performance HD1010 and HD2000. It is possible that the HD1000 is still being turned out of a Sanyo factory somewhere (probably in China )

I personally am still using my 4year-old Canon HF100 units as my 'A-roll' cameras, and my LX5 as a 'B-roll' backup. IMHO Canon hasn't produced a decent camcorder since the HF100, going for higher and higher pixel counts, and getting noisier images as a result. The new Vixia HF-M40 breaks that mould, however, and I suggest you take a close look at the M40 rather than the S30. I also suggest a look at the LX5, there is no better video in low light, than that produced in "creative video" mode at ISO1600 by the LX5 The LX5 battery lasts more than 2 hours on non-stop video.

There is a detailed review of the M40 on camcorder info dot com
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 2:56 PM   #3

Default Panasonic LX5

I appreciate the reply. The Canon M40 looks like a nice camcorder. But, it falls pretty short on the still pictures. That would drop me from 4MP on the Sanyo HD1000 to 2MP on the M40. I know you must compromise when you want a hybrid still and video camera. I have a digital dSLR but alas most of our pictures get captured on the Sanyo or my iPhone as those are the "bird in hand" most of the time.

I guess, I would error on the side of better still and lower quality video. the Panasonic LX5 looks like a good option for better stills. It would drop my optical zoom down from 10x to 3.8x. The AVCHD codec is a pain. The HD1000 excels with low light video. That giant lens really lets in the light. Hopefully the LX5 would compare.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:48 PM   #4

AVCHD is great! I insist on AVCHD in any new camera I buy. Once you get the program flow working, it has many advantages, but primarily that the LX5 can record continuously for as long as the battery lasts. I typically record video non-stop for 2.5 hours on panasonic LX5 batteries

Its problem is that it is only 720p, but the really good lens makes its output look like a typical 1080p camcorder.

If you want superb video, choose the HF-M40, if you want superb stills, and excellent video, choose the LX5 (which, BTW, will record video in the old MOV format if that is what you want...)

Hope that helps
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:56 PM   #5

Default Panny LX5

That helps Trevmar. Thanks for the time to respond. I will do more reading on the LX5