Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 1, 2011, 12:04 PM   #1

Default Is anybody reprogramming pocket cameras, usually using ambarella chips, or aiming to?

I would like to make my own ambarella based camera but don't have the time and resources. But I was wondering if anybody is already improving the pocket cameras used around here, often based on the ambarella chipset, or know of anybody. There are a few development systems out there already.

Things that might be possible is setting focus, exposure, shutter and apeture and locking them down which is virtually free, for practical and artistic purposes. Changing codec settings should eliminate juddering problems in panning on a good camera, as I have learned there is a setting that affects this. Inaccurate colir maybe correctabke. Data rate maybe changeable to more accuratelly reflect the capacity of the chip. Panasonic gh2 4/3 has been reprogrammed to do 176 Mb/s data rate, and even Panasonic is reportedly impressed by this. But it is unlikely we can get this much, but if we can get the 36 Mb/s of the Jvc fullhd p50 modeit would be enough. Another possibility is different resolution, different bit depth (useful for color and exposure handeling) different pixel format, these things are more uncertain. But recording video as MPEG stills maybe possible. Recording video uncompressed or in another comoressiin cidec may or may not be available.

If anybody wonders by here in and knows something in the future, maybe from a Google search, please feel free to drop a post, it will turn up on the top, and eventually bone of us should be around.

We are not interesting in hacking as such, but in improvement of personally owned equipment. So you should legally check what the law says in your country before deciding what to do according to your own responsibility and your own conscious.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:39 AM   #2

This is bizarre, I went to search for that 36Mb/s JVC camera. The first attempt I saw a link to some interesting but familiar looking camera. it turned out to be a thread of mine on the Aiptek ahd1 pro. In the second Google search, I separated the 36 and mb/s with JVC again. and the first listing was this thread, the next was a dpreview news article about the actual camera model I was looking for, and the Press release starts with my name, Wayne . I'm used to finding my posts in the first page of Google results for searches for some obscure information and subjects, but not for common products. Take that dpreview. ;-)

http://www.forums.steves-digicams.co...60-36mb-s.html

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11...60-36mb-s.html

I forgot, the camera, from memory, is a deliberate attempt of a true hybrid sort of video camera and still. It can shoot shd resolution stills at 60 frames a second. Imagine if the 2 second buffer could be removed. It has a 1/2.3 inch sensor like many if our hybrids here, if only it was top Sony. The simarly priced body only gh2 has been hacked to 176mb/s and compared to the top digital cinema camera, it has a professional sensor and the hacked images are incredible. The point is that what the lesser JVC achieves, cheaper hybrids around here should eventually be able to be made ti achieve. If the price was small enough compared to the GH2 and Sony Nex 5n cameras, it definitely would be of interest.

Anyway, that was the camera, and what top hybrid Sanyo could have achieved by now. I wonder who will be first to release a hybrid like this out of Kodak, PanaSanyo, Aiptek or DXG in coming year.

Last edited by Wayne12; Nov 3, 2011 at 8:41 AM.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote