Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:04 PM   #1

Default Extra battery for Zx3

Hey guys

I recently picked up a Kodak Playsport Zx3 on Boxing Day ($64 locally) and am wondering where would be the best place to get an extra KLIC-7004. Any retailer in town that carries the Kodak brand 7004 wants anywhere from $19 - $24.

I've seen many cheap sub $5 batteries on eBay and would like to know which of the sellers, if any, you have used. Heck at least if a $5 battery craps out after a couple hundred charges it's no big loss.

Thanks
Scott C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
I've seen many cheap sub $5 batteries on eBay and would like to know which of the sellers, if any, you have used. Heck at least if a $5 battery craps out after a couple hundred charges it's no big loss.
I tend to feel Amazon Marketplace to be a pretty reliable way to purchase aftermarket accessories - there are users' reviews of products that help too.

An old thread started by our resident guru FishyComics:

for kd-klic 7004 kodak zi8 batt

I have just one cheapo KLIC-7004 bought via Amazon and it seems to work out to about 85-8% the capacity of the (2) OEM batteries I have at 19% the cost - real value for money.

I see well reviewed ones as low as $3.50 shipped
(unbelievable - it went up 1cent between posting and this edit!)

Last edited by UnknownVT; Jan 3, 2012 at 1:04 PM.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:54 PM   #3

Thanks Unknown.. (Vincent)... happy holidays bud

Scott C, Happy Holidays to you, and thank you for asking a excellent question.

overstock

I happened to walk into a local retailer Bestbuy, on the shelf a KLIC-7004 costin $34.00

Been there , done that. aftermarket purchase. one died last year after all that time, very pleased with it. no questions asked I get another aftermarket over retail.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Thanks Unknown.. (Vincent)... happy holidays bud
Happy New Year Fishy....

2x for $5.25 shipped
that's stupidly cheap for such a well reviewed item....
but normally I find one spare battery is enough.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:51 PM   #5

all depends on your shooting, I find 2 or 3 to be perfect for me.

1 in cam two spare.

Hardely take up pocket room, coin pocket they fit perfect.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:30 AM   #6

Happy New Year to you guys too.

I checked Amazon.ca and found a couple of reliable Canadian sellers and some high feedback sellers on eBay too. I only wish Amazon took Paypal. In the past I've ordered items from the US and didn't have to pay any duty as they were under $20 and from individuals, but anything shipped from a business seems to raise red flags and we are charged duty on what they think the cost should be, but that's a story for another time.

I've been looking at the charger and battery combos and that seems to be the best way to go. Saves on swapping batteries in and out of the camera. Plus with the car charger adapter it opens up other charging methods too. Like this one

http://www.amazon.ca/GTMax-KLIC-7004.../ref=pd_sim__1

Fishy, like you I can't believe the cost of the batteries at the store. Sure they are better then the generics, but at 6x the cost ? I don't think so. If a $4 battery lasts just over an hour for 6 - 12 months before you need to replace it, you can buy 5 of those for the cost of 1 brand name that may die in a 1.5 year period.

Another question. Have you guys tried those 1300 mAh batteries in your Kodak's ? With the original being 940 mAh and some of the generics being only 840 mAh the higher capacity ones seem to be the ones to look for.
Scott C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
I've been looking at the charger and battery combos and that seems to be the best way to go. Saves on swapping batteries in and out of the camera. Plus with the car charger adapter it opens up other charging methods too. Like this one

http://www.amazon.ca/GTMax-KLIC-7004.../ref=pd_sim__1

Another question. Have you guys tried those 1300 mAh batteries in your Kodak's ? With the original being 940 mAh and some of the generics being only 840 mAh the higher capacity ones seem to be the ones to look for.
Looks like a very fair price -
that also looks like the external charger I got -
it works really well.

One has to take third party aftermarket battery capacity with "a pinch of salt" - a 1300mAh battery ought to last nearly 55% longer than the Kodak OEM battery..... pretty dubious.

Think of it this way - the OEM battery is so outrageously expensive - so the profit margins would be really high - then they can afford to use the highest (safe) capacity - whereas the cheapo batteries have really low profit margins - how can they possibly afford to use a much better (read expensive) technology than the OEM?

Any way one looks at this - I have been getting about 85-8% the capacity of the OEM battery at 19% the price.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:09 PM   #8

As we purchased these batt's. they say they are 1300mah's but realy not. They will ast a good long time i think no matter what you will be happy, period.

For the charger, yes get it if it is a combo deal. reasons.

On vacation, used all batterries, how will you charge a 3-4 hr batt, per, awake in 4 hours , swap out. I did that. My friend lost the adaptor plug.

So if you even have a charger and cam and 4 batts you are still able to double the charge faster.

Yes a higher mah is a longer rcord time, but nevernoticed it. I plug in a external power source for added life.

I did that and able to get like 3 batterries out of it. Any Usb battery thingy