Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 21, 2012, 7:31 AM   #11

I am wondering, could I literally hack an upcoming Panasonic BSI Gh3 into a hybrid shape.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 8:12 PM   #12

Just a few more days it will be available in Feb, and BAM! April fools!

Guess Amazon knows more than Kodak gotta love ya kodak

Last edited by fishycomics; Jan 29, 2012 at 3:22 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:52 AM   #13

Default An Appeal to Kodak.

Fishy, I would like to make an appeal to Kodak, could you use your contacts to point them to it.

Dear Kodak.

I would like to appeal to you to keep making great video cameras, and greater still cameras.

a) I am one of the people that liked your current top end still camera shape originally. It was great that you introduced 720p video modes. But what I really wanted originally, was a quality still camera with 1080p video too, based on the ambarella chip set.

b) Selling many models of cameras to fill out store shelf space is not the way to go. Space is starved now. Selling a single good value for quality product in each broad price catergory (and some derivatives) is the way to go. Letting the customer know that the product is good value for money, in a very presentable and desirably featured and handable product. This means 3 products, that any shop would be proud to carry.

c) Times have moved on, well worked out packages of top of price category sensors (going above 1/2.3rds in size at the top end), well worked out features handling and quality results are needed. Sanyo did this with their now dated HD2000, you did this at the lower end with your zi8 and play sports. Soon, their will be nobody left except mediocre products (how many top quality ex Sanyo design and marketing people might be around to be hired, to remake Sanyo's success). Higher framerates fullhdp50, at top spec bluray bitrates, 3d, and higher post fullhd resolutions that ambarella android ione chipsets support, going up to super hd, is the upcoming market space. All cameras should have at least fullhdp50 and p60 support (p60 gives very poor results in 50hz lighting used around the world). Above that 3d, above that post fullhd to super HD resolutions.

A sign of the times let year was the JVC GC-PX10 with 36mb/s h264 encoding, but in a well worked out package for over a third the price., last year.

d) Well worked out includes quality options, manual settings, gain controlled high signal to noise ratio multi-microphone inputs, sound recording, water proofing, swappable battery etc that better users might like to use, but can be ignored by novices. Motion activated video is a practical option, as well as including the remote accessory, that I have never seen on shelf.

e) The reason I mention value quality and reduced product lines, is to give customers something to identify and pick over mobile phones. To give customers a clear choice and decidely better quality product than a mobile phone is. It is the customers that want more than a mobile that are the customers of the future, The other reason is, that there will be many cheap third world products out there crowding the bottom end.

f) Shop around and contract batch manufacture your own controlled designs in China, so that you can walk away if the market is not good for models, and come back again latter.

g (for go) Have somebody with a feel for it, and somebody that can pick a quality package that people will buy, and tell the engineers and designers to do a better job. I remember a story about about the former Sony chief. He wanted his engineers to make the Walkman smaller and smaller, eventually they came to him and protested that there was no more space left in the Walkman to make it smaller. He got a bucket of water and put the Walkman in it, and air bubbles came out, so he said that there was more space. Look at Steve Jobs at Apple as another example, driving design and marketing. Your lineup of video cameras has been a standout of design direction in their segments, but even I can pick a better package in video or stills.

If you do decide to stop making cameras, despite this appeal, can I ask, please, for an open firmware and specifications for all existing cameras (or the top still and video ones) so people can enhance them into the future. Could I also ask for a firmware update to set manual settings, and completely unlock all features and setups.

If you decide to sell your camera business, could I suggest Apple or HP. I would also suggest any new business that could incorporate previous quality Sanyo hybrid camera staff. These groups have the skill to drive the business on, and the distribution channel contacts.

Have fun, wish you the best.

Wayne, anonymously.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:47 AM   #14

Can't find one to buy over here. I would be content to buy a poco, except I fear it is 13mbs rather than the 36mbs I want, so a step down further. It is really unacceptable how much data rates and hd resolutiin features have stalled in recent years on ambarella based hybrids, we should have been in the 50fps 3d fullhd years ago, and looking dwn the barrel of a 4k camcorder saying "I can't believe I got one of these"(future proof 4k camcorders). Not asking for 144mb/s yet, but 36-48mbs basic level, 54-72mbs basic 3d. Upto double intermediate level on an more expensive camcorder, like Sanyo would have done.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:37 AM   #15

If you Wait till April like Posted from Amazon, and said earlier on with the Kodak Site, you have one sooner than you think.

Seems tehy are out of stock on the site, meaning they are close to the selling date.

I will take my money, and seriously concider a gopro Hd Hero,

Kodak I asked over and over and you just hand out units to the people passing me over. well that is business, and my business is as important to anyone else. thanks, look where you are today my friend, look. chopping block.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:30 AM   #16

April, strange, they announced this in January, announce they are canning cameras and then release a camera over a month or so after.

It is probably because you are not an official reviewer for a site. I have suggested this before, but maybe you should approach Steve's about becoming an official reviewer for these types of cameras and hit the big pages (and earn some dough).
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:26 PM   #17

Yes in January the cam was introduced, and release date febuary, then changed to April, Amazon showing the real date, while Kodak keeps correcting their homepage, now saying out of stock. That is how it is done, ener telling the truth. Just say soon t ocome, delayed due to release date. Only a few more weeks, to go. $219.00 Ouch? well $199.99 Ouch? well maybe $179.99 introductry offer. hmm?
lost sales new products limited price reduction, not top ollar I say?

Stevesforum, you hear, lets get on the Ball then. Pm is on top right I see no emails , thanks Wayne12 means the world.

Some forums all they care about is the posts, people clicking, and just build tehir site up, a lot more than that if asked.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:12 PM   #18

So today I sent a message to Kodak asking when/where I can buy a Playfull Dual camera...this is the response I got back:

"Thank you for your interest in KODAK products. As KODAK has recently decided to phase out of the cameras, video cameras and frames market to better focus on our line of ink jet printers and accessories, we expect that the products recently announced to be released this year will not be available. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope you will choose one of our currently available products along with the variety of compatible accessories."

What a shame...this was no doubt going to be the best camera in this class.

Last edited by fway; Mar 18, 2012 at 5:14 PM.
fway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:38 PM   #19

they did not just down out right said that, did they. weeping.

Basicaly what will happen once all kodaks are gone it is over, kapoot. at lest tehy will have injet printers, go lazerjets.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:34 PM   #20

Maybe, support people might not know, but assume. But as it is delayed, means that they may not have had a backlog of oremade cameras to clear, so can ditch it. I am waiting for the Poco, which has 1080p60, but I think only small bit rate compared to pkayfull, I prefer more. Poco is also delayed the same, my guess is they are waiting for same type of chipset from ambarella. I wonder how much delay the Japanese earth quake put on ambarella release schedule. This is the super HD age, and the low end play full looks so last year. We have yet to see the I one chipset, maybe the polariod andriod camera has it. In case of earth quake etc, production for some parts might be incapacitated. Those parts then have to be manufactured elsewhere, if your company dies not have priority deal to manufacture first, then you have to wait for companies with priority to manufacture theurs, or for left over manufacture to come up. This includes silicon foudaries as well. Japan had many big companies, factories and foundaries, so I would guess these companies are taking up capacity elsewhere in other countures. The poco was to come out last year.

BTW, figured out how to water proof. Waterproof soft cases used for things like iPhone might be big enough to fit playful, or poco into. But want to find more hugging version, without big borders etc.